Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EWR-FRA Trip Report By F/A

Mon Jan 08, 2001 2:50 am

Here's a trip report on the last pairing I worked... this is my first trip report so let me know if you like it!  

CO 50
EWR-FRA
04Jan01
B777-200

I checked in at 1830 for our 1955 departure for FRA. Proceeded to gate 102 for our crew briefing lead by our International Service Manager (ISM) and our Captain. We discussed emergency procedures and service standards. Boarded the aircraft, stowed my luggage, and proceeded to do a check of all emergency equipment in my area of responsibility including jumpseat, POB's, fire extinguishers, door pressure guages, P/A, etc.
Then a quick walk through to ensure that the cleaners did a good job, and that they've placed pillows/blanket/headset in each seat.

At 1855, boarding commences. I take a few minutes to introduce myself to the UM in 23L. I give him a kiddie kit and make sure that he's familiar with all the safety information. During boarding I stand at the rear of C Zone (approximately in the center of main cabin) by doors 3L & R. Help stow some luggage and re-arrange bins as the flight is very full, let the families with babies know that I'll put up the bassinets right after take off, and distribute kiddie kits to all our young travelers. Pass out a selection of international newspapers, then a quick walk through to ensure all FAR's regarding carry on luggage and exit row seating are being observed. Bring the main cabin passenger count to the ISM, and the main cabin door is closed. Demo time! We all stand in our demo positions with a demo kit handy in case we have to do the old fashioned manual demo. Luckily, the IVS cooperates and the English/German demo plays fine. One last walk through before take off to ensure customer compliance. Ensure that lavs are empty and locked for take off. Proceed to my jumpseat for the duration of taxi, and prior to take off, complete a 30 second review of emergency procedures.

Take off! Once we level off, I proceed to mount the bassinets (as promised) and bring some extra blankets and pillows for the babies. There are 14 flight attendants on this flight, 7 of us are in the main cabin. One is a galley flight attendant, the other 6 work in the aisles. 3 of us in main cabin, and 1 in businessfirst are german language qualified.

Time to start the service! First we distribute hot towels, then amentity kits. Get stopped a few times to show folks how the PTV's work. Then, its a full beverage cart, followed by meal cart (chicken with lasagna or beef in wine sauce with mashed potatoes) with beverage cart, followed by another beverage cart. Duty free sales commence, and then we turn down the lights for a couple of hours.

About 1 1/2 hours before landing, it's time for the breakfast service. Another round of hot towels, followed by breakfast (fruit salad and hot croissants) and choice of coffee, tea, oj and water. Then another round of drinks.

We get the signal for intial descent and collect head sets and service items. As we go into final, we take down bassinets, and ensure everything is safely stowed, all seat backs and try tables are up, seat belts fastened. We land in FRA, extend farewells, and it's off through customs to our waiting coach which will take us to our layover hotel.

The front desk knows us well, and we exchange some chit chat and plan to meet at 7pm for dinner.

Well guys, I gotta go... this took longer than I thought, but I'll submit a second report for our leg back! Hope you liked this different perspective... let me know what you would like me to add!

ILUV767

RE: EWR-FRA Trip Report By F/A

Mon Jan 08, 2001 3:11 am

Great Report!

I want to be a flight attendant so much, so this gives me insite into whats its like. Keep it up!  

Happy Flying,
David

ishky15

Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:09 am

Excellent trip report! It's more interesting because it's not done by a pssenger and gives a different perspective.

What places have you flown to with Continental? I flew on EWR-FRA a few years ago, but it was when it was a DC-10.

ctbarnes

Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:21 am

I like it! We don't get to see too many reports from the FA's perspective. Nice job.

Charles

FlyVirgin744

Mon Jan 08, 2001 6:05 am

Does CO allow cockpit visits on international flights?

SA-JET

Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:41 am

That was great. Are you 747 qualified? If so, how do you check the 747 door pressure gauges? As I have never seen the indicator on the door. What should the pressure ratio be, and if it's faulty, how do you correct it?

Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:14 pm

Brilliant trip report! I want to be a flight attendant, with VS or EK some day, and your report gave me some insight as to how it's really like...and I liked it...a lot!!  

Thanks a lot
Tom  

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Guido Latz

airnewzealand

Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:28 pm

I also would like to be a flight attendant for my national airline AirNZ in three-Four years time.

I think it was great gives me a bit of an insight to what i am to expect when doing a flight. Can you please tell me if CO take you on a test flight before becoming a Quilified member of Cabin Crew.

Also can you tell us if you get any bad passengers and where the Emergency Equipment is on your Aircraft.

Thanks
Mikey

Hope you have a great flight back.
PS what do you do on your lay overs and how long are you on one.

chepos

Tue Jan 09, 2001 9:38 am

Great trip report. I hope some day a pilot also post a report. I wanna be a pilot and hopefully someday Ill be able to see a report from a pilot.Great report by the way COFlyBoy put your return repoty in please.