Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

viscount
Topic Author

GIB-LGW-HAV-LGW-GIB

Wed Nov 29, 2000 5:21 pm

Just returned from a week in Havana and here's how the flight went:

Flew GB Airways (BA franchisee) from Gibraltar (GIB) to London Gatwick (LGW) on a B737-300. The aircraft was in pristine condition and I was seated in 12E which is the emergency exit row on this aircraft so had plenty of legroom. The meal service was very poor as usual but the staff were friendly and the flight was smooth.
After an overnight stay at the wonderful Le Meridien Hotel at LGW we boarded BA4505 to Havana (HAV).
This is where the fun started! This was one of those nasty B777-200s that are operated by JMC for BA and boy do they stuff them with seats! The config in the so called World Traveller cabin is 3-4-3 as opposed to 3-3-3 on mainline BA 777s. And no they have not made the aisles smaller but they have shrunk the seats. This must be the most uncomfortable class I have ever flown. It was even worse than some european charter operators. Shame on BA for doing this to their customers on these routes where these 777s fly. I have written to complain to them but my complaint was brushed aside as is usual with large companies who do not care. We were seated in row 17 - Hell!
However the food was good and the staff were amazing. One of my friends had chronic back problems in mid-flight and the cabin crew looked after her superbly.
Landing at HAV was excellent and the 777 certainly touches down smoothly. Little did we know that customs clearance at HAV was going to take one and a half hours!
Flight back to LGW on BA4504 was better. We ended up in row 40 and 41 where due to the curvature of the fuselage at the back the config is forced to go to 3-3-3 as it should be. This makes a world of difference for legroom. However the seat remains just as uncomfortable.How BA expect human beings to spend 10 hours in those cramped conditions beats me. The best comes when the person in front of you reclines their seat and you can no longer see the PTV - great to have entertainment but only if you can use it!! Food on the way back was not as good as I suspect that the caterers in HAV are not as good as at LGW. Landing back at LGW was smooth again after having experienced some bad turbulence on the flight.
What a pleasure it was to be back on GB Airways on a 737-400 in the emergency exit row on the way to GIB. Oh to have had this seat on our HAV flights!
So full marks to GB Airways, BA food and JMC crews and to the B777 but shame on BA for the config and World Traveller product on routes to the Caribbean. I will avoid this aircraft config in future and so should you! By the way had a great time in HAV, I recommend it!

G-KIRAN

RE: GIB-LGW-HAV-LGW-GIB

Thu Nov 30, 2000 12:02 am

whats JMC?

viscount
Topic Author

RE: GIB-LGW-HAV-LGW-GIB

Thu Nov 30, 2000 4:54 pm

JMC is a UK based charter airline which is part of Thomas Cook. There is a company called AML (Airline Management Ltd) which is a holding company for the BA operation which operates these three sardine-can 777s on BA's so-called leisure routes.