Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQA340
Topic Author

Should I Avoid Hkg?

Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:32 am

I have heard such bad things about HKG. They have given a bad impression of the place and the airport but what I want to know is HKG really bad??? I heard stuff like child gangs, rude people etc and I heard that the taxi cab drivers refuse to drop off passengers at their destinations. Chep Lak Kok looks like a nice airport. What have you experinced in HKG?

Mike

Rai

RE: Should I Avoid Hkg?

Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:50 am

Hong Kong is quite safe! No reason to avoid it at all. People aren't usually that pleasant, especially if you're white, but they won't bother you. May try to rip you off on something, but that's it! Who doesn't?! Shopping is amazing and the food is spectacular! I can't go even begin to describe its wonders! Hong Kong is a wonderful city and it's one of the few places outside New York I'd be content to live in.

Pacific

Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:56 am

I live in HK and there are triads around but in the 5 years of my life here, I've never seen them in action. Hong Kong still remains to be one of the safest city in the world. Just avoid the small alleys at night like one would do in any other city in the world.
There are some rude people in HK. HK's pace is very fast and is full of stress. This may be a contributing factor to rudeness. Some people are very nice however.
The Airport is very airy, big and bright. The only bad thing I can think of is the distace that you have to walk to the immigration if the plane docks at gate 70 and I have never experienced taxi drivers not taking you to the correct destination. It's advisable however to copy down your destination in Chinese and show it to the driver. Some don't know enough English so they may misunderstand and take you to the wrong place. It never happened to me though. They never refuse me to drop me off at the destin.
What you heard is extreme exaggeration about the situation. There shouldn't be any reason to intentionally avoid it.

Pacific

SQA340
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:59 am

That is what I heard from HKG-SIN Part 2 post.

SQA340
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2000 9:06 am

Does HK have good food?

Fri Nov 24, 2000 9:13 am

Smelly Toufu? Hehehe do you like it Pacific?I tried it and found it tasted like s*it and smelt like s*it.I guess we Singaporeans cant really take smelly food.Mike,no worries,visit Hong Kong,nice place,I enjoyed myself there even though I did not get to go to Ocean Park(raining).Good shopping.If you want Herpa models,go to Sham Shui Po(MTR Red Line).There are a few shops selling them.If I'm not wrong theres one next to the Kowloon Motor Bus No. 2 stop.

Gundu

Pacific

Fri Nov 24, 2000 9:33 am

Tou Fu Fa??? I love them! Great beancurd dessert.
HK's food can be good and bad. It simply depends on the restaurant you're eating at but the majority is very good. We have restaurants selling different kinds of food from around the world as well as Chinese cuisine! Again, no reason to avoid HK.

Pacific

Fri Nov 24, 2000 9:58 am

Smelly toufu hehehe.I remember once a restaurant owner cheated us by saying the price of our dinner was HK$ 200 when it was more like HK$80.HK$ 120 gone for nothing.My parents were very angry.

Gundu

Pacific

Fri Nov 24, 2000 10:10 am

Everyone should add up the price and see how much it would actually cost BEFORE paying. Rip-offs do happen to tourists so one has better be careful.

Pacific

Fri Nov 24, 2000 10:13 am

We calculated the cost and found it to have a large discrepancy.We didn't want to argue with the restaurant owner as we had to rush to "Nui Yan Gai"

Gundu

Trvlr

Fri Nov 24, 2000 10:23 am

Mike: Go to Hong Kong. I've been there before and the airport is one of the best in the world, the city is safe (but watch yourself anyway), and above all it is one of the most amazing places on earth. Just beware of the ever-present tourist rip-offs and ppl trying to sell you stuff on the street and you'll be fine.

As Pacific said, the place is very fast-paced, and that may contribute to the percieved notion of rudeness and swindling etc., but that should not deter you from going.

Besides, if you can fly non-rev, what's the point in NOT going??   

Aaron G.

Cathay Pacific

Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:48 am

well......i think all cities in the world have its good and bad side....HK is no exception....it all just depends on you 'luck' in whether you cnfront those nice people or bad ones......for me.....i've been living in hk for years......and most of the people i confronted with are quite nice....

word of advice for the tourist......try to speak out...if you think people are ripping you off...or people are rude to you.....don't be afraid.....speak out.....don't show them that you are afraid of them.....if you do they just take advantage of you!!!!

Gundu....you are quite right about the smelly tofu.....hahaha.....i have never been able to have the guts to taste it myself..although my friends kept telling me they taste very nice....but the smell......yuck......       ...... but in general..i think HK is a really good place for eating.....they have food from all over the world at various price levels.....if you want up market stuff....you've got Felix, Amigo, ect...if you want cheap and local stuff......you got all those HK style tea house (cafe).....ummm.....yumm.....can't wait to go back in dec!!!!!!! hehehehehe   

last of all.....one really bad thing about HK is their pollution       .....i think they must do something about it!!!!! don't let this spoil a great place!!!!!

Cathay Pacific.......Same Team, Same Dream    

oxygen

Fri Nov 24, 2000 10:05 pm

Taxi drivers would be more than happy to take you to or from the airport, coz its very profitable, but try to avoid having a taxi to nearby places. I often get scolded by the taxi drivers by doing that. Tell them to give you a receipt if you think they might be cheating you, and if he refuses to give you the receipt, he's probably cheating you and you can sue him.

Rai

Sat Nov 25, 2000 3:19 am

You see? It's not so bad! It's best if you tour the city with a local who knows how to deal with the people. But Hong Kong has much to offer in every aspect of life -- great food, phenomenal entertainment and perhaps the best shopping in the world. You will not be disappointed. Can’t wait for the UAL and CO nonstops to start from NY! Now if only CX would get their act together!

SIA fan

Sun Nov 26, 2000 5:47 pm

Hong Kong is simply amazing! I went there for the second time last August and truly enjoyed it. The night time views can't be beat from our 53rd floor hotel room  
Great food, great shopping, and I've never encountered rude people during my stay. I have a lot of HK friends and I must say they are really nice too.
Chek Lap Kok Airport I think is the most beautiful airport in the world.
Don't avoid HK, go there or you'll miss one of the best cities in the world!

Cheers,
SIA fan

Mon Nov 27, 2000 9:04 am

Heh,Oxygen our taxi went by the meter   .Anyway,HK is a very beautiful place,with the Repulse Bay ect ect,Aberdeen,JUMBO floating restaurant and good shopping in city part of HK island.You know the Aberdeen tunnel?Our tour guide said that if you drive by at 12 midnight,and lok at your rear-view mirror,you will see an apparition dressed in red as there is a cemetery near the tunnel and the feng shui of the tunnel was destroyed.

Try and take all the public transport,especially the MTR and the HK trams.The trams are really enjoyable but only go at a max. speed of 20 km/h or around 15 mph.

Gundu

Pacific

Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:16 pm

All taxis go by the meter but drivers don't like getting only HK$15 for a hire.
Trams can be faster than buses during the evening rush hour. I've tried it! Absolute max speed of 40km/h can be achived between admiralty and Wan Chai.

Pacific

Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:21 pm

We went from Central to WanChai and we only hit 20 km/h even though it was evening peak(5 pm).HK$ 15 is only worth S$ 3 here.I wonder what type of drivers would like it.In HKG,the meters go rather fast(like Japan).So SQA340,if you want shopping,I suggest you apply for a Chinese visa to go to Shenzhen(KCR train from Kowloon Tong station to Lo Wu)

Gundu

Pacific

Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:07 pm

GUNDU: It never hits 40 eastbound, only westbound just before these trams stop at Admiralty! Taxi metres start at $15 for the first 2 kilometres and then go up by $1.4 (I think) every 200 metres.

SQA340: Just to add that HK is one of the most expensive cities on the world. We have been having deflation for the last year though. In Shenzhen, there plenty of cheap fakes around.

Pacific

n949wp

Ghosts And Apparitions?

Mon Nov 27, 2000 3:47 pm

GUNDU,

I use the Aberdeen Tunnel regularly and have yet to see any apparitions!!

That tour guide must be pulling your legs on the "feng shui" part. Sure, the northern entrance to the tunnel is right next to a cemetery, but that is a "Westerner's" cemetery (Isn't "feng shui" a largely Chinese thing?). BTW, that is a really old cemetery, with some of the "residents" having been there since the 1800's.

'949

oxygen

RE: Ghosts And Apparitions?

Mon Nov 27, 2000 7:21 pm

Yes the taxis go by meters, but there are some taxi drivers, reffered to as 'Airport Rats', put a special device on the meter so that he can make it 'jump' as many times as he wishes (of course when you are not watching). These drivers often appear at the airport to pick up foreign tourist. So watch out for them.

Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:38 am

Heh,I was watching the meter all the while.

Gundu