Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ake0404ar
Topic Author

Bumpy Ride Into Boston

Thu Oct 19, 2000 12:24 pm

Sounds familiar? I have played that so many times on the FS2000 and today it a happend in real life.

Cloudy skies, temps in the mid 50’s and light rain were in the forecast for the New York City area. Not really ideal conditions for flying, I’d prefer sunny skies and unlimited visibility.
Around 4.45pm I was picked up by a limousine, which was supposed to bring me to LGA.
Two words, Rush Hour and light rain, results always in a chaos. Why would it be any different today?

It took us about 1.20 min to get to LGA. Next time I will try the Water Shuttle!
I finally arrived at the airport 10 minutes prior departure.
No big deal, it is the Delta Shuttle, passengers are constantly late and they have a slight different policy on these shuttle flights.

Checked in at the gate, got my boarding pass and walked down the jet-way. It was around 6.25 pm. DL 1844 to BOS was scheduled to depart at 6.30pm.
Most of the passengers were business traveler like myself, mostly with 2 carry on bags.
Due to no overhead space anymore we had to check most of our bags, which was not a problem at all.

Now everything was on a tight schedule, as the crew did not want to loose their slot, so the rest of the boarding process went rather quickly.

We boarded DL brand new shuttle, B737-800 (N395DN / Ship3725) => that was the first Shuttle DL received back in August.

Around 140 seats were already taken, only center seats were available. I was walking down the aisle and sat down on 16B.

Honestly I was not too thrilled about the new blue leather seats, they were comfortable but not as wide as on the B727-200.
As per DL you supposed to have more legroom on the 738, I did not even notice it.

After everyone found a place to sit, we pushed back and taxied out to Runway 31.

After a couple of minutes on the taxiway, take off power was set and we rolled down Runway 31.

Weather conditions, overcast skies and light winds, we made a slight right and then left turn and climbed to our assigned FL 210 for the 183 miles to BOS.
I knew sooner or later we would hit turbulence so I was surprised that the crew actually started to come through the aisle with the trolley.
2 minutes later it started and another 2 minutes later, the captain advised the f/a to discontinue the service and please be seated. This never has been a good sign when the crew has to sit down.
The fasten seat belt sign illuminated and then we got bumped around.
I looked out of the window and saw the rain and the clouds rapidly passing by.

We descended to FL190 to find some smoother air, which was not really the case, so no more in-flight service, F/A had to sit down and seat belt signs for the rest of the flight.

We hit some more rough air here and there it was not too bad, although I have to admit that I am not a big fan of turbulence. After 30min flight we already started our intial decent into the BOS area.

Boston ATIS:

Boston Logan Airport information Oscar, Zulu 2315 Wind 340 at 10, visibility 3, light rain, ceiling 600 overcast, temps 11, due point 11, altimeter 2991
ILS Rwy 4R approach and use, dep rwy 9 etc….

We finally touched down on 4R.
Touchdown was ok, considering the conditions.

Our assigned gate was 3 at Terminal A, before we got to the gate we had to stay in the alley to give away to another DL Shuttle which was taxiing out to Rwy 9.

Once all passengers de-planed, I took some pictures of the flight deck and chatted a little with the F/O.

Overall a good first flight with the B738, although I will miss the B727.

Regards
Vasco Garcia

L1011

RE: Bumpy Ride Into Boston

Thu Oct 19, 2000 12:39 pm

Nice report. I have yet to fly on a Delta Shuttle 737-800, so now I know what to expect. I always enjoyed flying on their 727s. The extra legroom was noticable. I am surprised that the seats are narrower. I thought the 737 cabin was the same width as the 727. Is it so they can have a wider aisle?

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

Thu Oct 19, 2000 7:47 pm

Thanks for the update Vasco! I am also curious, just like L1011, about the seat width since Delta claims that in addition to being a quiter aircraft, the 738 has more passenger room.....I wonder if they mean more room in the lavatory?  

You were lucky to get out of LaGuardia as soon as you did, I remember the last time I flew out of LGA to BOS, the wait in the takeoff queue was longer than the flight! Although I did like flying the Delta Shuttle, I will miss the 727.

Regards,

Jim Walsh (aka Aer Lingus A330)
Boston, MA

ake0404ar
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:26 pm

LGA is always congested due to the New York ATC......
last time I flew out of LGA to BOS, that was 2 weeks ago, we sat on the taxiway for 35min, number 17 for departure....but I'd prefer LGA over EWR, b/c EWR is even worse!!!!

Regards
Vasco Garcia

Ilyushin96M

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:47 pm

I'm curious about comparisons between 737NGs and 737 classics as far as noise, comfort and ride. Any big differences?

Also, are DL shuttles all-coach layout, or are there business class seats as well?

Interesting trip report. Thanks for posting!

ake0404ar
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:28 am

I would say wait until I'll post some cabin pictures on a.net but I did not take any.

Delta Shuttle is an all coach layout, as I said blue leather seats, better recline and more legroom than on the normal DL a/c.
You have similar monitors like on the A320, that is kind of nice as well ,forget to mention that in the inital post.

For the noise level I can say, very quiet a/c, nice pick up on the take off and good handling as far as I could tell.

Regards
Vasco Garcia