Grüß Gott!

Thursday 17 August 2000
Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © James Reppucci

Airine: United
Flight#:UA1989
Plane: 737-322 N303UA

I arrived at Boston Logan Airport at 10.55 to ceck-in for my flight to Washington(IAD). I was originally scheduled to fly on flight UA1449, a 15.00 departure, but due to concerns about the infamous Northeast traffic delays, and United's own not-so-respectable-record on punctuality, I decided to try an get on flight 1989, a 12.00 departure. When I got to the terminal I stood in awe of the check-in queue. I got in back, and prayed that it would move quickly. After about five minutes, it was clear that they were all part of some tour group, and United decided it was better to open up more check-in counters for the group. With them out of the way, I had all check-in formalities done, and after the purchase of a litre of water, I headed to the gate. I milled around the gate C15 departure lounge, until boarding began at 11.30. I took my seat, 18F, a window aft of the wing, and waited for departure. Load factor was about 70 per cent. The weather in Boston was clear, near 80°F (24°C)

Push back was done at 12.03, and a quick taxi to the end of runway 27 left us fifth in the queue for take-off, behind a Midwest Express DC-9, an Air Canada CRJ, American and Northwest 757s, and a Metrojet 737. We were off the ground by 12.15. Our ascent was quick, and we soon reached our cruising altitude of 28,000ft. Drink service was done at this time, along with pretzels. Our route took us west toward Hartford, CT, then south, west of NYC, toward Harrisburg, PA, where we began our descent. We approached IAD from the north, passing by the field to the east, before swinging around and making a smooth landing on runway 1R, approximately 1h10min after our take-off from BOS. A short taxi to the gate, and I was off the plane no more than 5 minutes after landing.

Thursday 17 August 2000
Click for large version

Photo © Christian Käser

Airline: Austrian Airlines
Flight#: OS514
Plane: A330-200 OE-LAN „Arlberg“

After a lengthy layover, I proceeded to my gate at IAD for my flight to Vienna. As I walked to the gate, I was looking forward to seeing my plane, and maybe getting a pic or two, however, I soon realised that my gate, D30, is one of 3 gate in the D-concourse that had limited, or no, views of the ramp, all I could see was the nose. Oh well. Boarding was done on time at 17.20, however, a long queue formed and it didn't move quickly. I got on the plane, and took my seat, 23B, and aisle seat over the rear of the wing. Load factor was near 100 per cent. Weather in Washington was high clouds, with temperatures around 85°F (27°C)

We effectively pushed back twice, as the crew apparantly started pushing us out the wrong direction, we were pushed out, the nose swung towards the left, then we were pulled in again, then out, only the nose went towards the right. The engines spooled up quickly, and the forward view, exterior camera was turned on, allowing everyone who had their PTV turned on a view of what was ahead of the plane, in our case a Lufthansa 747-400. The take-off queue was long, we were behind a few UA 777s, a Saudi Arabian 744, a Northwest DC-10, and miscellaneous United and UA Express planes. Take off was long, but the plane got up quickly. Our flight took us north east off teh US coast, and soon I was flying a few scant miles from where my endeavours began. We turned more east, and paralleled the Canadian coast. Dinner was served at this time, and I chose beef over a pasta dish. After reading many wonderful things about Austrian, I was rather dissapointed by the dinner service, but in Austrian's defence, they do come around ever 45 min during day time flight, and every 90 min during night flight. I have no complaints about Austrians service past the food.

The evening went uneventfully, and I was soon enjoying a beautiful sunrise just off the French coast. We made our land crossing over the Normandie coast, flew just south of Paris. We flew over Zürich, and over Salzburg, Austria I received permission to visit the flight deck.
Click for large version

Photo © Peter Unmuth

This is a pic of the cockpit of OE-LAN.

I chatted with the flight crew for about 15 min, however we began decending from our altitude of 41,000 feet, and I was asked to return to my seat. We came into the Vienna area, flew south of the city centre, out east, then made a turn to the northwest and landed on runway 34. A short taxi to the stand, and a bus ride to the terminal ended my out bound journey.

Sunday 27 August 2000
Click for large version

Photo © Stefan Gruenig

Airline: Deutsche Lufthansa
Flight#: 3651
Plane: A320-200 D-AIQA „Mainz“
I arrived at Flughafen Wien Schwechat at 0605 for a 07.25 flight to Frankfurt. As it was early on a sunday the check-in hall was empty, and the queues were light. Check-in for Lufthansa at Vienna is handled by Lauda Air. All formalities were finished in 10 minutes, and I was able to casually walk to gate C62 where my A320 was awaiting in the brisk morning air. Boarding began on time at 06.55. Load factor was near 100 per cent.

We pushed back, engines were started, and we taxied to a queue-less runway for an immediate take-off fron runway 16. I'm not the biggest Airbus fan, but I must comment on how powerful the A320 is, and how quickly we got up to our cruising altitude. I was impressed! Due to events the evening before, I had not met a bed in 23 hours, so I could barely stay awake past the small frühstück (breakfast). By the time I woke up, we had begun our approach to Frankfurt. The approach to FRA was very bumpy, and we were getting tossed quite a bit. I did get a great view of Frankfurt city centre and we were soon on the ground, on a good landing on runway 25R.

Sunday 27 August 2000
Click for large version

Photo © George Polfliet

Airline: Deutsche Lufthansa
Flight#: LH422
Plane: 747-200 D-ABZH „Bonn“

Even when I was in FRA before, I never realised how busy the place really is. There are people EVERYWHERE. I had nearly two hours for my layover, so after passing through passport control, I sat in a lounge watching all the planes land an take-off. I headed down to the departure lounge at gate B46, and waited for my flight to board. I boarded the plane, and took my very cool window seat, 20K. However, shortly before pushback an FA came to my row and asked the three of us if we'd be will ing to move our seats for an elderly lady with a broken leg. We all agreed, and I took my new seat, 49G, a centre-aisle seat. I wasn't happy, but I know that thislady needed it, and I felt good that I could do something for fellow humanity.

We pushed back while I was switching seats, we taxied out to what I believe was runway 25R, and waited behind a landing Lufthansa Cargo MD-11, a departing Lufthansa A340-300, and a departing Lufthansa 747-400. Take-off was long, and we didn't get up too quickly. We got to our cruising altitude, where I fell asleep. I was awoken two hours later by lunch service. The food was decent, and I, again, had a beef dish with spaetzel, chosen over a chicken dish. After lunch I stayed up for a while, then fell asleep again until about an two-and-a-half hours before landing. I watched the movie "Erin Brockovich", and soo we began our descent just beyond teh sprawling metropolis of Bangor, ME. We descended into Boston from the North east, we turned west, and came in north of the city. We then turned south west, and came in to a landing on runway 22L. After a lengthy taxi, we arrived at gate 6 in Terminal E.

LH423