Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747-600X
Topic Author

Survived The First Half...

Sun Aug 20, 2000 1:15 am

Here I am in beautiful (cold) Fairbanks, AK. I survived my flights up here though they were all on nightmear machines.
From O'Hare to Minneapolis/St. Paul I took a DC-9-30 (Northwest). This was the first aircraft I've ever had trouble talking to someone on - it was ungodly loud!
At Minneapolis I boarded a Northwest DC-10-40J and once everyone was aboard they announced that they were having trouble with a warning light in the cockpit. About half an hour later they decided to replace a panel, and about half an hour later they finally did so. As usual, a DC-10 within ten feet of me gave me a headache and caused problems. Oh well... I got where I was going though the thing's exterior was rackety, dented, scraped, warped, and wrenched so as to look absolutely horrible, and the interior was worse - seats with gaps or gapes or just plain holes in them... very ugly. That took me to Anchorage. Northwest did a lot of stuff to make up for the delay, they didn't charge us for the headphones (typ. $5) and they let us wander on and off of the aircraft and even served extra beverages while we were waiting. I had a window seet and since the aircraft was a typical 2-5-2 and no one was next to me I had a double wide window and aisle seet - which was very nice indeed.
From Anchorage to Fairbanks we took an MD-80 delayed by an hour and a half. Despite my dislike for McDonnell Douglas aircraft I must confess that this machine was like a rocket, it performed with a huge power and blasted through whatever came it's way. It was a beautiful experience.
Well - here I am - in a week I fly back on a 737-700, 757-200, and A319 - wish me luck!

Udo

RE: Survived The First Half...

Sun Aug 20, 2000 7:17 am

Take the train next time you travel, or maybe the little gummi boat...

killjoy

Why Do You Hate MDC So Much?

Mon Aug 21, 2000 4:30 am

Stop bashing the "DeathCruisers". Your attitude toward them is horrible.

The DC-9 is *old*! What did you expect? V2500 noise levels? Try flying in a Boeing from that era...

And they're all perfectly safe planes to fly on. Why do you hate them so much?

Udo

RE: Why Do You Hate MDC So Much?

Mon Aug 21, 2000 2:41 pm

How much he would hate the gummi boat...

747-600X
Topic Author

Bashing?

Thu Aug 24, 2000 4:10 pm

Well, let's see...
All I said about the 9 was that it was loud... which it was.
Everything I said about the 10 was accurate... very crappy condition.
And unless I am mistaken I actually complimented the 80 on being superbly powerful.

So... I made a couple opinionated statements... I'm not really sure where you guys are comming from but it's definitely a biased pessimism that has no more place in judging me than have I in judging the jets. In any case, I don't have half a clue what a gummi boat is and am in fact very fond of trains. If someone had given me the chance to take an Amtrack through the Rockies instead of a DC-10 over them I would have taken it in half a second.