Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Singapore 777
Topic Author

Trip Report 1999 Part II

Thu Aug 17, 2000 5:51 pm

In response to iLuV767's post, the 777 was a -212 model.

-----------
(cont'd)...and the F/A said she had to ask for permission from the captain. About five minutes later, she came back and took me to the cockpit with her. I greeted the captain, who happened to be a very nice man and he told me all about the controls on the plane. It seems they were encountering a bit of crosswind that afternoon and he had to constantly adjust the heading right by one degree just to keep on course. I saw on the FMS that we were flying at M.841 following a course of 175degree. From the cockpit, we could see the Australian Coast and then, the captain demonstrated the satellite capabilities by trying to request for the wx (weather) at Perth. Unfortunately, it was not available yet but they got info for Adelaide (YPAD). Then he mentioned that he was going to manually land the plane today and I accepted his invitation for a jumpseat landing. However, a F/A then came in and told me that I had to move my back forward to the J class cabin as we were disembarking first. I went out to put my bag in the J class compartment before making my way back to the cockpit. The F/A brought in some J class snacks (including ice-cream and apple juice in J-class glass).

We started descending at about 1.41pm and it was slow and gentle and best of all, not bumpy. We were still on autopilot at this point in time and the captain pulled for the spoilers and also lowered the thrust setting a little. At about 1.55pm, we were at altitude of FL120 and he contacted Perth Approach, who vectored us for a downwind (??) landing to Runway 03. We were now travelling the opposite direction and the captain said he had to turn the plane back later on. We were vectored out to the sea West of Perth and there, at an altitude of 8000ft, he disconnected the autopilot and pushed his yoke forward slightly. He also set the flaps at 20deg and down we went. The throttle was now at about 1/4 and as we passed throught 6800ft, approach vectored us first to turn left 130deg. Deftly, stepped on the rudder pedals to turn the aircraft and I was quite surprised and how much the Boeing 777 could bank. It was almost 49-51 deg. Passing 5500ft, approach vectored us to 60deg and asked us to do a visual landing. We turned once again and our co-pilot made an announcement telling everyone to buckle up and that we would be landing as initially estimated at 2.15pm. It was already 2.09pm and I think we were about 8 miles out of 03. Then passing 4000ft, we were cleared to conduct a visual to 03. Instead of using the rudder, he used the yoke this time and trimmed the flaps to the correct setting. I couldn't really see as I was all buckled up into the jumpseat focusing my attention onto the thin strip in front of us. Lowering the landing gear, he slowed the plane down at 2000ft and slowly but surely, we descended past 300ft and he gradually pulled the throttle down.

I could not feel the plane touching down at all, it was such a smooth landing. He pulled back for the thrust reverse and set the spoilers into action and as we slowed down on Runway 03 that afternoon, I caught a glimpse of Perth Airport. He recycled the spoilers and we taxied to the gate. I didn't really know what gate it was but I knew that it was at one corner of the building. We disembarked and once again, I caught a good glimpse of 9V-SQF. The Qantas agent came to take us through to immigration...

ILUV767

RE: Trip Report 1999 Part II

Fri Aug 18, 2000 6:32 am

That was a wonderful report!   Very complete!!!