evangrady64
Topic Author

Jakarta to Doha by Qatar Airways Dreamliner

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 am

Hi everyone, this is my second trip report in this forum. I want to share my great experience and some photos on board the Qatar Airways flight. I took this trip nearly 2 years ago. Actually, this leg of the flight (CGK-DOH) was part of my journey from Surabaya, Indonesia to Moscow, Russia. The other part of the journey will be posted in another trip report :smile:.

The earlier flight I took was Garuda Indonesia Flight 323 (Boeing 737-800) from Surabaya to Jakarta. The flight was only 1 hour and 20 minutes (a short hop domestic flight). After that, I spent my time in Jakarta International Airport having dinner and so on. Then, I boarded the Qatar Airways flight bound to Doha.

Flight details :
Day and date : Thursday, 22nd of June 2017
Airline : Qatar Airways
Aircraft type : Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Flight origin : Jakarta, Indonesia (CGK)
Flight destination : Doha, Qatar (DOH)
Time of departure : 00.20 (UTC+7)
Time of arrival : 04.30 (UTC+3)
Flight duration : 8 h 10 m

Here is the overview of the airline's seating. As you can see, the Dreamliner doesn't have window shades, instead there is a button below the window that dims the window. Based on some readings, it uses electrochromic glass which has ability to adjust its opacity electrically.

I sat on economy class chair number 24F, each seat has personalized entertainment system, Oryx One.

Because it was midnight when the plane took off, I slept for a while. About 45 minutes later, I woke up and noticed that the cabin crews were serving in-flight meal. Checking the flight map, the aircraft was at the west of Sumatra island.

For the meal, I chose grilled chicken rice with vegetables (accompanied with rye bread, cold salad, green tea pudding, and apple juice). The food taste was quite good after all.

After the in-flight meal service ended, the cabin lights were turned off, leaving only a little blue color on the ceiling.

Less than 2 hours before landing, the cabin lights were turned on again. It was early morning so the mood lightning with purple and light blue color were used.

For breakfast, I chose veal sausage with spiced potatoes and mushrooms (accompanied with croissant, strawberry yoghurt, and assorted fruits). Breakfast menu was so satisfying.

At around 04.30 in the morning, the plane finally arrived at Doha.

View from Hamad International Airport Terminal, Doha.

I only stopped in Doha for transit (2 hours) before boarded another QR flight again to Moscow (QR 233, Airbus A320).

Thanks for reading, I hope you like it. See you on my other trip reports.

parisien

Re: Jakarta to Doha by Qatar Airways Dreamliner

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi, thank you for the nice report! I did the exact same trip earlier this month and had quite a good flight. I was at first very worried flying the Qatar B787 since there are so many reports saying how bad and horrible they are. I braved it because QR had both good fare and schedule for my trip. Maybe I had a very low expectation, but I found Qatar B787 to be quite pleasant (I fit comfortably in my seat -- I am 1m80/78kg-- and though there is that annoying IFE box under the seat it was not as huge as I had expected it from reading other QR 787 trip reports). The thing I did not like was that the seats recline too much (for the pitch they have on their 787s) meaning that you really have no choice but to recline yourself when the pax in front decides to recline. As for the service, I find QR food ok but portion seems to be smaller compared to EK.
Did you have your luggage checked through by GA or did you have to check in again at CGK?
I had a two hour layover in DOH before catching my connecting QR flight to CDG (A380) and found Doha airport early in the morning too crowded (long lines in toilets and I tried several toilets) which was not the case on the way over (the transit was at midnight on the outbound)(still prefer it over DXB though). Cheers!

evangrady64
Topic Author

Re: Jakarta to Doha by Qatar Airways Dreamliner

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am

parisien wrote:
Hi, thank you for the nice report! I did the exact same trip earlier this month and had quite a good flight. I was at first very worried flying the Qatar B787 since there are so many reports saying how bad and horrible they are. I braved it because QR had both good fare and schedule for my trip. Maybe I had a very low expectation, but I found Qatar B787 to be quite pleasant (I fit comfortably in my seat -- I am 1m80/78kg-- and though there is that annoying IFE box under the seat it was not as huge as I had expected it from reading other QR 787 trip reports). The thing I did not like was that the seats recline too much (for the pitch they have on their 787s) meaning that you really have no choice but to recline yourself when the pax in front decides to recline. As for the service, I find QR food ok but portion seems to be smaller compared to EK.
Did you have your luggage checked through by GA or did you have to check in again at CGK?
I had a two hour layover in DOH before catching my connecting QR flight to CDG (A380) and found Doha airport early in the morning too crowded (long lines in toilets and I tried several toilets) which was not the case on the way over (the transit was at midnight on the outbound)(still prefer it over DXB though). Cheers!

Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm glad you like it. Same with you, I chose QR because of their good fare compared to other airlines at that time since I always go on vacation after the holy month of Ramadan (because it was a long public holiday here in Indonesia). I agreed on your opinion about the service and the seat would become uncomfortable if the pax in front of you reclined. I checked through by GA from Surabaya but I still had to check in again at CGK (the terminal was also different between domestic and international flight). Such a fantastic experience you had been on board QR A380, cheers!

Evan