Ryanair01
Topic Author

Buenos Aires to London - BA World Traveller Plus 5 years ago

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 pm

A trip report'ette'

I found some photographs of a journey from about 5 years ago. It was not intended to be a trip report, but hopefully it might be of some interest. With the passage of time many of the details have been long forgotten, but please enjoy this trip report'ette'.

Introduction

I’d been staying in Belgrano on Buenos Aires’ north west side, a good 30km from Ezeiza Airport. Not fancying a very expensive taxi ride, I opted for public transport. Buenos Aires is a fantastic city which I recommend anyone visit, it is a fairly safe city, sophisticated and with a lovely atmosphere.

However it does have genuine poverty. For someone like me wearing an expensive designer T-shirt about to fly across the world, street children are a morally confronting sight.

After the Subte I went looking for the airport coach, which departs from a fairly random location amid a busy traffic junction. The area had a slightly hostile feel. None the less I found the very clean bus station and was on board a comfortable transfer coach in no time.

Arriving somewhat early I went exploring around the airport’s old terminals, which passed an hour or so.

The main terminal is very modern and had good views.

Flight

Upon boarding I settled into the right hand window seat in the World Traveller Plus’ first row. This gave me a teasing view of Club World, but oh well.

I’m not a fan of bulk head row seats, as foot room can be rather limited. Unfortunately I found that to be the case, but there are worse problems to have.

On the plus side I got a great engine and wing view. We lumbered off slowly into the murky sky heading more or less dead north towards Brazil, at first over the BA metropolis and then rainforest.

BA’s original World Traveller Plus seat is not entirely unlike business class from the 1980s or 1990s. This seat kind of cradles you upon recline, with the base sliding out and up. There was a recliner chair style leg rest. Being the first row, my PTV was located on an arm. It really did remind me of business class from 20 years ago.

An early dinner was served on china with metal cutlery. The wine was good, everything else was terrible. From memory the main was a pasta dish, but I can’t recall further details.

Rather than watch a movie, I sat and enjoyed the view, first of Argentina, then Paraguay and Brazil. Night fell after we had flown over the Amazon River.

As such I didn't check out the inflight entertainment on this flight. I ventured up to the galley as BA were at that point promoting a between meals snack box you could pick from. There was indeed a snack box, which contained various Cadburys chocolates. The crew gave me a very dirty look for taking two curly wurlys…….

I then drifted to sleep before waking up just in time for landing. We headed in over Central London before morning light, no doubt waking up West London.

Upon landing the crew leader made a bizarre and overbearing announcement. Rather than welcoming us to London and telling us to stay seated he went, “welcome to my home, welcome to this green, this pleasant land, welcome…….. to England”. Maybe I was just tired, perhaps I’m not a nice person but I just thought, “what a [email protected]”.

Anyway we used a remote stand and were bussed to the main terminal. Compared to T5B or T5C (where we would have docked) this worked well, as a transit train is required anyway.

I had a voucher for a free First Class journey on Heathrow Express, which made a nice end to my journey.

Another trip had ended safely. At the time this was BA’s longest sector. The experience was efficient and solid if not remarkable.

Here are some fairly random photos of my time in Argentina and Uruguay

outbackair

Re: Buenos Aires to London - BA World Traveller Plus 5 years ago

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

FlyRow

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:35 am

Who doesn't ask for two curly'wurly's especially with a bad meal, so bad marks for catering? And man-o-man what do BA cabins look dated, especially the IFE screen looks very dated.
Would you fly them again?

Thanks for the report!
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

Ryanair01
Topic Author

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:17 pm

outbackair wrote:
Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

Thank you

FlyRow wrote:
Who doesn't ask for two curly'wurly's especially with a bad meal, so bad marks for catering? And man-o-man what do BA cabins look dated, especially the IFE screen looks very dated.
Would you fly them again?

Thanks for the report!

The outbound catering was very good, out of Buenos Aires was very poor. Outstation catering quality is a problem for all airlines, so not a BA specific issue, but it was a bad meal (screwing up pasta, I mean come on!). Typically I find BA's long haul catering to be OK though. That era of BA cabin wasn't really to my taste, but their updated long haul design is nicer now. Would I fly them again? I fly BA a bit with work which is their choice, if paying privately I don't seek out BA, but will fly them from time to time if schedule/price works out in their favour.

mdavies06

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:09 pm

There is a very trivial fact that links up your TR with your latest TR on BA (HKG-LHR) two weeks ago. BA relaunched EZE about 10 years ago by reducing some HKG flights, freeing up around 7 weekly arrival slots to start this route after many years of suspension.

Ryanair01
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:53 pm

mdavies06 wrote:
There is a very trivial fact that links up your TR with your latest TR on BA (HKG-LHR) two weeks ago. BA relaunched EZE about 10 years ago by reducing some HKG flights, freeing up around 7 weekly arrival slots to start this route after many years of suspension.

I didn't know that, how random!