Class of Service: United First
    Airline: United Airlines
    Satisfaction: 8/10
    Flight Number: UA 721
    Seat Number: 2A
    Time of Departure: 10:50 AM Eastern Standard Time
    Time of Arrival: 11:40 AM Central Time

Pre-Flight

We got to the airport and went straight to check in. As our flight was leaving at around 11 am, and not many United flights leave at that time, the United section of check-in and Terminals C and D (United terminals) were empty. So check in was fast, and with TSA Pre-Check, we got to Terminal C very quickly. We gained access to the United Club only due to a United Club Card, as first-class passengers traveling domestically on United do not have lounge access unless they have a United Club membership, United status, or are connecting to an international flight. I find it ridiculous that first class passengers on domestic flights do not have access to United Clubs. I had a couple of mini bagels (which were all right) while enjoying the view of the tarmac.

United Club

United Boeing 757-200 Heading to London-Heathrow in a Star Alliance Livery

The Flight:

Around 10 minutes before boarding, we started heading towards our gate. Boarding went exceptionally smoothly, and soon we found ourselves in a United Boeing 737-700. This 737 had United’s new signature interior with their new(ish) first class seats. I love that their new seats don’t just recline; the seats also move in a forward movement to cradle the passenger. This makes the seats extremely comfortable when reclined. After Group 1 boarding, the flight attendant came around with pre-departure drinks in United’s signature blue cups. Around half an hour after I got on the airplane, we started pushback and taxied to Runway 30, and we soon found ourselves on our way to Chicago.

United 737-700 First Class Seats

Seatback

Fold Up Tablet/Phone Holder

After takeoff, I helped myself to the Personal Device Entertainment selection. For those of you who don’t know, with Personal Device Entertainment, you can stream movies and TV shows to your device or laptop through wifi for free via (in this case) the United app. I watched the movie Paddington 2, which I found to be pretty good. In United First with the new seat, there is a tablet holder for a phone or tablet in the tray table (see photo above).

Unfortunately, due to the flight time of 1h 50m, there was no meal offered on board. We were only offered selections from a snack basket, where we could each take two items. In the snack basket, there were chips, pretzels, bananas, Oreos, and gummy bears. I opted to take pretzels and Oreo cookies. This would be acceptable in economy class, but for first class, just a few snack bags are not acceptable. On a flight this length in Europe or Asia, you would probably get a full meal in First Class. Not in America, I guess.

Pretzels and Oreos

Soon enough, we were approaching Chicago, and had a good view of United’s HQ, aka the Willis Tower. Also, we parallel landed next to a Kalita Air Boeing 747-400, which was exciting (maybe only for me). We landed on runway 27L in Chicago. After we got off of the runway, we needed to taxi to a waiting point because our gate was still occupied.

A Kalitta Air Boeing 747-400 and the United Headquarters (Willis Tower)

A United 737-700 in Chicago

Bottom Line:

On the one hand, the service wasn’t exactly very premium, but on the other hand, we didn’t pay the price for very superior service (the ticket price wasn't much higher that the economy plus ticket price which we would have taken otherwise). It wasn’t that much more expensive than economy plus, but the service wasn’t much better than economy plus. So basically, we got what we paid for. I was honestly expecting a bit better meal service, with at least a non-packaged snack. So was I satisfied? Yes. But is first class on 2-hour flights on United really “first class”? Not. I ended up pleased with the plane because it was on time and the seats were pretty comfortable. Do I recommend taking first class on United on a flight this length with a price not that much more than economy? If you want a comfortable seat or need the extra baggage allowance, I do recommend that you take first class on a flight similar to mine, if the price is right. However, if you don’t need a better seat or extra baggage, don’t take first class, as it really won’t have superior service to economy.

For more pictures on my flight experience, please feel free to check out the origional posting of this review on my blog!
https://airtravelanalysis.com/flight-review-united-737-700-washington-dulles-to-chicago-ohare-first-class/

ClassicLover

Re: A Review of First Class on United From Washington Dulles to Chicago O'Hare

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 pm

ATAnalysis wrote:
I find it ridiculous that first class passengers on domestic flights do not have access to United Clubs.

After takeoff, I helped myself to the Personal Device Entertainment selection. For those of you who don’t know, with Personal Device Entertainment, you can stream movies and TV shows to your device or laptop through wifi for free via (in this case) the United app.

Unfortunately, due to the flight time of 1h 50m, there was no meal offered on board. We were only offered selections from a snack basket, where we could each take two items. In the snack basket, there were chips, pretzels, bananas, Oreos, and gummy bears. I opted to take pretzels and Oreo cookies. This would be acceptable in economy class, but for first class, just a few snack bags are not acceptable. On a flight this length in Europe or Asia, you would probably get a full meal in First Class. Not in America, I guess.

Great report, I was curious as to what they do at United. Seems it's not all that different from American Airlines in First Class domestically.

The streaming is becoming the new thing. Qantas do the same in Australia on aircraft with no PTVs fitted. I imagine this will progress to the point the airlines just let you stream content and don't have PTVs any longer, saving them weight and so on.

I also find it really crap that airlines from the United States offer such basic crap in First Class because "the flight is too short for a meal service". Cry me a river - British Airways can do a full service on a London to Dublin which has about 55 minutes in the air - so if they can do it, anyone can. I'd love for one US carrier to make the switch to meals for all in First Class. That's an airline I'd happily fly, as I like to get given proper food when I am flying. There's not much of another reason to bother with First Class, especially when you get no lounge access.

While European business class may only be middle seat free when it comes to seats, you do get full meals, lounge access and so on included. Makes it a far better product!

Once again, great report :)

zrs70

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm

ATAnalysis wrote:
The Flight At A Glance:

Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
    Origin: Washington-Dulles
    Destination: Chicago O’Hare
    Flight Time: 1h 50m
    Date: July 26, 2018
    Class of Service: United First
    Airline: United Airlines
    Satisfaction: 8/10
    Flight Number: UA 721
    Seat Number: 2A
    Time of Departure: 10:50 AM Eastern Standard Time
    Time of Arrival: 11:40 AM Central Time

Pre-Flight

We got to the airport and went straight to check in. As our flight was leaving at around 11 am, and not many United flights leave at that time, the United section of check-in and Terminals C and D (United terminals) were empty. So check in was fast, and with TSA Pre-Check, we got to Terminal C very quickly. We gained access to the United Club only due to a United Club Card, as first-class passengers traveling domestically on United do not have lounge access unless they have a United Club membership, United status, or are connecting to an international flight. I find it ridiculous that first class passengers on domestic flights do not have access to United Clubs. I had a couple of mini bagels (which were all right) while enjoying the view of the tarmac.

United Club

United Boeing 757-200 Heading to London-Heathrow in a Star Alliance Livery

The Flight:

Around 10 minutes before boarding, we started heading towards our gate. Boarding went exceptionally smoothly, and soon we found ourselves in a United Boeing 737-700. This 737 had United’s new signature interior with their new(ish) first class seats. I love that their new seats don’t just recline; the seats also move in a forward movement to cradle the passenger. This makes the seats extremely comfortable when reclined. After Group 1 boarding, the flight attendant came around with pre-departure drinks in United’s signature blue cups. Around half an hour after I got on the airplane, we started pushback and taxied to Runway 30, and we soon found ourselves on our way to Chicago.

United 737-700 First Class Seats

Seatback

Fold Up Tablet/Phone Holder

After takeoff, I helped myself to the Personal Device Entertainment selection. For those of you who don’t know, with Personal Device Entertainment, you can stream movies and TV shows to your device or laptop through wifi for free via (in this case) the United app. I watched the movie Paddington 2, which I found to be pretty good. In United First with the new seat, there is a tablet holder for a phone or tablet in the tray table (see photo above).

Pretzels and Oreos

Soon enough, we were approaching Chicago, and had a good view of United’s HQ, aka the Willis Tower. Also, we parallel landed next to a Kalita Air Boeing 747-400, which was exciting (maybe only for me). We landed on runway 27L in Chicago. After we got off of the runway, we needed to taxi to a waiting point because our gate was still occupied.

A Kalitta Air Boeing 747-400 and the United Headquarters (Willis Tower)

A United 737-700 in Chicago

Bottom Line:

On the one hand, the service wasn’t exactly very premium, but on the other hand, we didn’t pay the price for very superior service (the ticket price wasn't much higher that the economy plus ticket price which we would have taken otherwise). It wasn’t that much more expensive than economy plus, but the service wasn’t much better than economy plus. So basically, we got what we paid for. I was honestly expecting a bit better meal service, with at least a non-packaged snack. So was I satisfied? Yes. But is first class on 2-hour flights on United really “first class”? Not. I ended up pleased with the plane because it was on time and the seats were pretty comfortable. Do I recommend taking first class on United on a flight this length with a price not that much more than economy? If you want a comfortable seat or need the extra baggage allowance, I do recommend that you take first class on a flight similar to mine, if the price is right. However, if you don’t need a better seat or extra baggage, don’t take first class, as it really won’t have superior service to economy.

For more pictures on my flight experience, please feel free to check out the origional posting of this review on my blog!
https://airtravelanalysis.com/flight-review-united-737-700-washington-dulles-to-chicago-ohare-first-class/

Imagine how crowded the Clubs would be if all F passengers had access. It's just a different model.

philabos

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:44 pm

You were allowed to take two items from their snack basket?
I just flew Southwest and they said take as many as you want from their basket.
And the selection was better.
Wow.

TWA1985

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:03 pm

American Airlines actually offers full hot meals between Washington and Chicago. I flew the flight earlier this year and was able to pre-order my meal online. The choices were cheese lasagna or salad with chicken. There was also a full selection of special meals available for order. We even got warm baked cookies for dessert. United definitely leaves something to be desired in terms of their first class meals.

ClassicLover

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:56 pm

TWA1985 wrote:
American Airlines actually offers full hot meals between Washington and Chicago. I flew the flight earlier this year and was able to pre-order my meal online. The choices were cheese lasagna or salad with chicken. There was also a full selection of special meals available for order. We even got warm baked cookies for dessert. United definitely leaves something to be desired in terms of their first class meals.

At American Airlines, Washington to Chicago is on the select list of routes under 900 miles that get a meal. Full list below.

Chicago (ORD) and:
Austin (AUS)
Boston (BOS)
New York Kennedy (JFK)
New York LaGuardia (LGA)
Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
Washington Reagan (DCA)

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and:
Chicago (ORD)
Mexico City, Mexico (MEX)

Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and:
Port Au Prince, Haiti (PAP)

Miami (MIA) and:
Port Au Prince, Haiti (PAP)
Washington Reagan (DCA)
Washington Dulles (IAD)

Otherwise, the service is just like United. Snack basket or cookie.

mchei

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks - nice report!
While you do get the food in Europe on non-LCC, I’d choose the American seat over the food. Especially when you’re a frequent flyer and take the red-eye flights at 6am, I’d love to have the better seats to catch a nap for an hour or so. Currently, I don’t see a reason to pay for Business in Europe when you can sit in row 4 or 5 of Economy with the same leg room but a guy sitting next to you. There’s no reason for me to pay for Business.
If I did get premium de-boarding to get out of the airport quicker plus a better seat, I’d pay for it to be able to make a business day with flight in and out in one day. My two cents :)

Kent350787

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks for the report. I'm glad I haven't paid extra for first in the US - the extra legroom might be useful for a 3+ hour sector (not that this flight was), but the rest of the experience appears to be well below Australian domestic.

I quite like B6's blue potato chips :)