Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CPS001
Topic Author

American Airlines longhaul Y, LHR-DFW on the B77W, August 2018 [lots of pictures]

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:06 am

Hey all, it's been a while!

Here is the report of my recent flight on American Airlines' B777-300ER from London-Heathrow to Dallas-Fort Worth in economy class. Without further ado, let's dive right in.

American Airlines 79
London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] - Dallas-Fort Worth [DFW/KDFW]
August 20th, 2018
STD: 15:05 (BST)
STA: 19:25 (CDT)
Actual flight time: 9 hours 47 minutes
N724AN, B777-300ER
Seat ??A, Economy Class

This flight was part of a larger itinerary from Chennai, India to Austin, Texas via London and Dallas. Here are a couple of pictures from my MAA-LHR flight, BA 36.

London by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

The flight got a remote stand and we were bussed to T5 arrivals.

British Airways Mercedes-Benz Citaro shuttle bus at London-Heathrow by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

G-YMML - British Airways B777-236(ER) (c/n 30313) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

From there, I took the connection shuttle to T3, after a short "questioning" checkpoint for US-bound passengers.

G-EUPH - British Airways A319-131 (c/n 1225) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

The bus ride took about 15 minutes, but did not have much of views, passing through many tunnels under taxiways. I reached T3 and cleared security pretty quickly. After waiting in the central waiting area for the gate to be displayed, I made the walk to gate 31.

QF 10 to Perth and Melbourne.

VH-ZNA - Qantas B787-9 Dreamliner (c/n 39038) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

AA 173 to Raleigh-Durham.

N756AM - American Airlines B777-223(ER) (c/n 30264) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

AA 107 to New York City.

N718AN - American Airlines B777-323(ER) (c/n 41665) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Boarding was about 20 minutes behind schedule, after more "questioning" in the holding pen. The flight was completely booked in all classes.

B-2725 - China Southern B787-8 Dreamliner (c/n 34923) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Gate neighbor - BA 78 from Accra IIRC.

G-CIVJ - British Airways B747-436 (c/n 25817) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Pushback was about half an hour behind schedule.

G-VBEL - Virgin Atlantic B787-9 Dreamliner (c/n 37980) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

VH-OQJ - Qantas A380-842 (c/n 62) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

We taxied to Runway 27R.

SU-GDL - EgyptAir B777-36N(ER) (c/n 38284) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

EI-DVL - Aer Lingus A320-214 (c/n 4678) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

HB-JCJ - Swiss CS300/A220-300 (c/n 55025) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

A6-APF - Etihad A380-861 (c/n 195) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

A7-APC - Qatar Airways A380-861 (c/n 145) at London-Heathrow [LHR/EGLL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

T5 C. The Dreamliner in the bottom right was my ride from Chennai, now departing to Hyderabad.

T5 A and B. Note the Qatar Airways A330 on lease to British Airways.

We ascended to our cruising altitude of 36000 feet. A drinks round was conducted, followed by lunch about an hour after takeoff.

The choices were beef and veggies or pasta in cream sauce. I chose the pasta. It was accompanied by a salad, pretzel bread, cheese and crackers, a cherry crumble cake and a bottle of water. The meal was quite filling and better than I had expected.

Following this, the lights were dimmed to allow passengers to rest. I dozed off too and woke up as we were over Canada. At this point ice cream was served.

About two hours before landing, the pre-arrival snack was served. The choices were beef or feta and sweet potato sliders. I chose the feta and potato sliders and they were pretty good, though not very filling. A drinks round was conducted with this meal.

It was a beautiful evening in Dallas as we began our descent into DFW.

Addison [ADS/KADS] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

We passed Love Field and downtown Dallas.

Dallas-Love Field [DAL/KDAL] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Dallas by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

We landed on Runway 35C just a couple of minutes behind schedule.

N962TW - American Airlines MD-83 (c/n 53612) at Dallas-Fort Worth [DFW/KDFW] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

We had a tour of the airport as we taxied to terminal D.

N938LR - Mesa Airlines (for American Eagle) CRJ-900ER (c/n 15038) at Dallas-Fort Worth [DFW/KDFW] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

N836AA - American Airlines Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (c/n 40654) at Dallas-Fort Worth [DFW/KDFW] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

We finally docked at gate D32. I went through the painful immigration and re-checked my bag on to AUS, before clearing security and taking the train to the C gates.

Thank you for reading, and do check out my Flickr stream! Until next time, goodbye! :wave:

Previous trip reports:

Spotting at SFO + Virgin America (not yet Alaska!) A320 SFO-AUS, April 2018
MAA-DEL-MAA on Air India A20N and IndiGo A320, March 2018
Spotting at BLR + Jet Airways BLR-MAA, October 2017

GrandSlam

Re: American Airlines longhaul Y, LHR-DFW on the B77W, August 2018 [lots of pictures]

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks for all the photos and the report in general. I really appreciated really the great pics you took at both airports. What a marathon journey for you!

CPS001
Topic Author

Re: American Airlines longhaul Y, LHR-DFW on the B77W, August 2018 [lots of pictures]

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:16 pm

GrandSlam wrote:
Thanks for all the photos and the report in general. I really appreciated really the great pics you took at both airports. What a marathon journey for you!

Thank you so much! Yep, this was a nearly 29 hour trip in coach, quite the marathon!

outbackair

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Great photos, especially at LHR!

CPS001
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 am

outbackair wrote:
Great photos, especially at LHR!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

CollegeAviator

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this - but why not a detailed TR for MAA-LHR?! Always nice to see India internationals on this site :)
Looks like AA were decent on LHR DFW: I have found them to be the best of 3 on TATL flights vs DL and UA. Nice pictures, too!

CPS001
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
Thanks for sharing this - but why not a detailed TR for MAA-LHR?! Always nice to see India internationals on this site :)
Looks like AA were decent on LHR DFW: I have found them to be the best of 3 on TATL flights vs DL and UA. Nice pictures, too!

Thanks for your reply!

I was actually asleep for most of the MAA-LHR flight due to the terrible 0530 departure, and hence missed a meal among other things. I did not feel there was "enough" stuff left to report on...so I guess you have to wait until December for my return flight :)

Yep, AA was pretty decent, probably better than their JV partner BA (I remember you got a single malt bar for a meal on a TATL flight), but I haven't flown UA or DL longhaul for several years, so I can't really compare.

Big fan of your reports :D