Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bakestar
Topic Author

MEL-PER-MEL & the first Qantas B787

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:54 am

Good morning all, and welcome to my very first Trip Report!
After years of reading dozens of previous reports here (and getting a jealous as anything) I finally figured out how to do it. So here it is.
Granted, this trip was from November 2017 I believe it’s still a very interesting one as it was one of the initial Qantas 787-9 services. I gather more for crew familiarisation.

Background: I work as a public servant and was required to travel from Melbourne to Perth for a few days for work. Tough work, I know. ;)
Whilst researching which flights i was able to select from, the numbers 787 drew my eyes immediately. I would have the chance to not only go on a nice trip, but to also fly the newest plane in the Qantas fleet. All on the company dollar, too :D

I headed from the city to MEL straight after work in a taxi, which thanks to the Freeway widening project (10 years too late) took les then 30min. Apon online checking in earlier in the day i was ready for my QF481 flight, which would be operated by a A330-200 (standard for East/West coast)

A good variety of the QF fleet (Dash-8s, F-100 and a 787)

Nice spot to wait while waiting for my flight.

My ride for the night. Airbus A330-200, VH-EBD, 'Traralgon'

The main meal in a box is a bit odd. I had the Vegetarian pasta (super tasty and crew never run out) Also to drink a can of Boags Premium
Fleet list
Funny man!

A few shots of sunny Perth (while I wasn’t glued to my desk) Such a nice place, especailly around Fremantle (unfortunately not on this trip)

And the long awaited return journey back to MEL aboard Qantas’ first B787-9.
Almost there…

The beauty! Boeing 787-9, VH-ZNA “Great Southern Cross’. Only weeks old!

Unique nose

Final window clean before action. Everyone was taking extra special care of her.

More photos on-board and enroute!
Business / Premium Economy / Economy and my seat for the next 3 and a half hours.

Good quality IFE plus stand for my iPad

Quality of the on-board was good, too. Or maybe I was just riding the high of being on board this lovely aircraft.

I was mesmerised by the shape of the wing.

Then home to these two lunatics. Hahahaha

Conclusion: Understanding that this aircraft was really only flying this route for crew familiarisation, the difference (personally) between the A330 and B787 services was amazing! For me being 6ft3in, leg room was not an issue. the window size was great, allowing much natural light in and i must have played with the window dimmer for half the flight! lol
I was so pleased to have the opportunity to fly it at all, let alone domestically.

Thanks for reading.

Bakerdino.

VapourTrails

Re: MEL-PER-MEL & the first Qantas B787

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 am

bakestar wrote:
Good morning all, and welcome to my very first Trip Report!

I would have the chance to not only go on a nice trip, but to also fly the newest plane in the Qantas fleet. All on the company dollar, too.

Hi! Congratulations on getting your first trip report done. :profile:

That is great that you got to fly domestically on the 789. I have friends and family who have done it, not av geeks and I am jealous that they beat me to it! :taekwondo:

bakestar wrote:
Nice spot to wait while waiting for my flight.

Yes, I know it well. It looks like a 717 there.

bakestar wrote:
The beauty! Boeing 787-9, VH-ZNA “Great Southern Cross’. Only weeks old!

It's actually Land, after, or at least in association with the song, Great Southern Land. :wink2: ~ The meals looked really good on both of your flights. Have yet to do a coast to coast flight and visit to Perth. That sculpture looks interesting. Had to Google it. It's an eight-storey sculpture inspired by rippling water, at Elizabeth Quay. Made from carbon fibre, and said to represent water ripples. Seems like there is a lot of public art or sculpture to see there, might be one good excuse to make a trip over there!

bakestar wrote:
I was so pleased to have the opportunity to fly it at all, let alone domestically.

bakestar wrote:
I was mesmerised by the shape of the wing.

Yes, I would be too! It actually looks quite a change too, from being used to looking out and seeing winglets.

bakestar wrote:
Quality of the on-board was good, too. Or maybe I was just riding the high of being on board this lovely aircraft.

I am sure it was both! :thumbsup:

And, cute dogs!

Cheers. =

ClassicLover

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am

Really good report and plenty of pictures, which I really enjoyed! The fact you took the time to take pictures of the business class seat etc is great. Also enjoyed the pictures of Perth - I haven't been there in years so it's nice to see it.

Great that you got to try out the Boeing 787 so early on! It's a great aircraft.

Keep them coming! :) (and you have gorgeous dogs!)

bakestar
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 am

Yes, I know it well. It looks like a 717 there.

It's actually Land, after, or at least in association with the song, Great Southern Land

oops. Indeed on both fronts, thanks for the correction.

The fact you took the time to take pictures of the business class seat etc is great

hahaha, i was in full Av-Geek mod the whole day!

CollegeAviator

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Ah, domestic runs on wide bodies - I'm all too familiar with these, and I love it when I manage to log an odd on here and there. Very nice trip report, and thank you so much for sharing this! I quite like QF's catering on the domestic hauls - something the USB3 should look at. Cute cute cuties in the end!!!