Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Thai77w
Topic Author

The 747 trip that Wasn't

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 am

**Warning, a bit of a read**
Date: 01 October 2018

I've linked a few photos for your enjoyment throughout.

Around mid August, a week before my birthday a friend messaged me saying Qantas will operate an extension to the QF55/56 flight that operates between LAX-BNE, that being it would continue to SYD on certain days and the flight would originate in SYD on other days, this due to the fact its only 3-4 per week and the aircraft needs to position to/from SYD.

Enough about that,Taking it to be a good opportunity to log a QF 747 before they are retired, we began searching and it quickly became obvious to us there would be a QF56 to SYD on the 1st of October, even better it’s a public holiday! No time off work required, with the plan to do just a day trip. Within minutes we had both booked our seats on the flight down at a reasonable $200 one way.

We then began investigating return flights and noticed some were in the region of $300+... We had completely forgotten that the day before our flight was the NRL Grand final, played in Sydney, obviously causing fares to rise a fair bit. I eventually settled on a Jetstar flight departing 2030 hrs at a reasonable (considering other fares) $220aud.

My mate worked out he could stay in Sydney for a few nights and log a 747 in both directions!

A few weeks passed by and nothing exciting happened, other than us discuss which particular 747 we’d like to fly on… weeks rolled by, anticipation built… THEN…

Another person booked on the flight down mentioned on Facebook their flight had been updated in the Qantas app, now showing him on a QF 737 flight and asking to confirm. I checked my app, mine still showed me on the 747, so I thought nothing of it, perhaps it was a glitch in the other persons app.

Another 48 hours passed and I got a notification to check my booking in the app… my heart sank… My flight had been updated to QF507 a boring 737! WHAT! A quick live chat session with QF confirmed our worst fears, Qantas have cancelled the BNE-SYD leg.

Disappointed, I messaged my friend and we discussed options from cancelling all together to rerouting. We decided we should still make a day of it, and we began exploring alternate fligths. One good thing is Qantas is quite flexible on changes when they disrupt you. We had options to fly direct to SYD on 737s (No thanks!) go via CNS, CBR or MEL. We found an early morning flight to CBR operated by a B717 and a few choices of the onwards leg to SYD. Having never flown to CBR I was keen to do it, making the day a little less disappointing. I then found my perfect combo, noticing 40 mins after arriving in CBR there is a flight to SYD operated by a Q300! Having never been on one I quickly decided to rebook onto that, and within minutes it was sorted, a few minutes later I had my updated itinerary.

My mate selected the same flight to CBR but decided to stay another 20 minutes and take another B717 flight to SYD.

The morning came, I set my alarm for 0345 and quickly got up, gathered my belongings and drove to my mates place, picking him up at 0430. We then drove to BNE where we used the convenient Airpark ($10 a day) and only waited around 4 minutes for the next free shuttle bus to the Domestic terminal.

We grabbed some Hungry Jacks for breakfast and chatted away before heading to our assigned gate around 10 minutes before departure. A quick scan of the gate lounge, we both agreed the load on our flight would be fairly light.
Boarding commenced on time and was completed very swiftly, all passengers had boarded before our STD. My mate had chosen seat 19F and I had chosen 20F, The door was closed and I had scored 2 empty seats where as my mate had a father and young son next to him. The load would have been around 65% in Y, so my friend was rather unlucky!

We pushed back on time and taxiied out and were lucky to get a break in the morning arrivals and got an immediate take off clearance. A swift take off roll and we were up in the air making our way to SYD, via CBR!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/jamess89/3g8109
https://www.flickr.com/gp/jamess89/Kx75M7

Around 5 minutes after departure the seat belt sign was switched off and our friendly crew jumped into action with breakfast service. On offer was Apple spice greek yoghurt and a muffin or a Bacon and mushroom Quiche… I went with the yoghurt and a glass of Orange juice. To my surprise it was a full size tub of yoghurt and a decently sized muffin. As I was enjoying this another crew member came by with a tray of Quiches offering them to us as well! Who am I to say no?! Both choices were excellent!
https://www.flickr.com/gp/jamess89/09Y9C4

Feeling full after that, We both settled in for the last 40 minutes of the flight. The Captain quickly came on the PA and announced in a few minutes our descent into CBR and that he expects to arrive around 5 minutes ahead of schedule. We touched down smoothly and rolled out before back tracking on the runway and taxiied to the gate. A few minutes passed by and the engines were still running. Just as I leant over to talk to my mate about reasons, the Captain once again came on the PA apologising for the delay as the GPU had failed and they needed to get one from another gate. Eventually after around 12 minutes we finally got the green light to shut down engine power. Disembarking was swift and we thanked the crew. We made our way into the terminal to wait for our respective flights and before long mine had arrived and I bid my mate farewell before heading down the stairs onto the tarmac to board my first Q300 flight.

Boarding was completed swiftly again and the door quickly closed. Once again no one next to me on this small Dash 8, with only around 20 passengers on board. We departed CBR on time and set course for SYD.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/jamess89/iY8wC7
A snack service commenced shortly after with creamy plum biscuits (cookies) and hot drinks on offer. I ordered a tea. No sooner had we enjoyed our snack, the Captain announced we would begin descending in 5 minutes. We made a few turns for spacing, over the ranges west of SYD, the western suburbs before crossing the coast to make an approach for RWY34L.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/jamess89/4Ckj0J
https://www.flickr.com/gp/jamess89/9761N3

We touched down rather firmly before rolling out. We taxiied towards the Qantas terminal (3) at SYD but held for a few minutes to allow an aircraft to clear our bay. We pulled into Gate 17 and disembarked without fuss. I made my way to the FIDS and located my mates gate to await his arrival. I wandered to gate 9 to wait for my mate, and as I came around the corner I saw a large aircraft sitting at gate 10 boarding to Perth. I walked closer and it soon became apparent it was the B744 that we were supposed to have flown on! Qantas positioned the flight empty to SYD as QF6158 whilst we were in the air to CBR. I realised this may make my mate upset when he realises they are parking right next to it! Not long after my phone buzzed and my mate was making the long taxi in to the Qantas terminal. I gave him the heads up that the 747 would be right next to him when they parked.. What he said I cant repeat here! :P

He emerged from the jetbridge and we made our way outside where our mate was waiting for us. We headed out of the airport for some planespotting and lunch. Not even an hour passed by and my phone buzzed… “Flight update from Jetstar” I opened the message;

“Your Jetstar flight to BNE has been cancelled due to crew requirements, we apologise for the inconvenience” There was a link to follow to rebook or claim overnight expenses, After hearing horror stories of how difficult Jetstar can be when a flights cancelled I wasnt expecting to see the following options when I clicked the link.

I had 5 options to choose from. Most leaving earlier than originally planned, but one option stood out as it was within 5 minutes of my original departure, QF554 at 2030hrs. I thought it cant be right! Despite Qantas owning Jetstar from my experiences they seldom accomodate JQ pax due to cancellations… Anyway happy days, within 30 seconds it was sorted! Phew!

A good day was had and I got dropped off at the QF terminal around 7pm. I checked in at the kiosks, was allocated 28E (middle seat at the back!) I looked at my other choices and there was only one other seat available, 19C so I took that, the flight was going to be full!

I had a light meal for dinner whilst I waited and made my way to gate 4 with time to spare and settled in with the crowd. Our inbound aircraft was around 10 minutes late, nothing a quick turn can’t fix… our boarding time came and went and there was periodical announcements… in the end a senior CSA came across and announced there was a delay due to the operating cabin crew coming off another aircraft (which was late!) and we’d have to wait. Finally boarding commenced 45 minutes after our STD and with everyone keen to get home a 100% full flight was boarded in less than 10 minutes. We were promptly pushed back and taxied all the way out to 34R and were rolling exactly an hour late. We quickly climbed and a snack service of cheese and crackers and complimentary beer, wine and softdrinks was offered. I was lucky to have an aircraft with seat back IFE and Qantas free wifi. I set the flight map up on the IFE and tested the wifi by following myself on Flightradar24! I nodded off for a few minutes and before we knew it we were on final approach to BNE. We managed to make up a few minutes and arrived 55 minutes behind schedule. Very weary I made my way through the terminal and out to the shuttle bus stop, with one arriving the same time I did. Quick trip back to Airpark and I was in my car and on my way home. I walked in the door at 11.30pm… a very long day, and despite the original disappointment, a very enjoyable day was had.

Thanks for reading!

American 767

Re: The 747 trip that Wasn't

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm

Nice report. I am sorry to hear that you didn't get to fly on the 747 which what initially the purpose of your trip. I would have been disappointed too. Thanks anyway for sharing. I saw the pictures. Very nice! I voted one of them as my favorite, a Fed Ex MD-11 taking off. At least you got to shoot quite a few Queens with your camera.