Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Sichuan Airlines LAX-HGH-LAX A330-200 Long Haul Business Class

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post ever.

The LAX-HGH-LAX route initiated in Oct 2016. Word on the street is that Sichuan will ultimately use A350 for this route, but as for now, A330-200 is the carrier. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Flight Details:

Airlines: Sichuan Airlines
Flight : 3U 8632 LAX-HGH
Aircraft : Airbus330-200
Departure - LAX : 1:50 AM
Arrival - HGH : 6:50 AM (+1)
Flight time : 14h 0m
Distance : 6,821 miles

Check in at LAX:

(this is a random spot I found at LAX, glad to find some kind of tranquility at one of the largest airports)

As for the end of May 2018, Sichuan Airlines does not employ a lounge at LAX, so, unfortunately, I have nothing to share.

Boarding:

1:00 am in the morning, we’re probably one of the last flights to depart from LAX.

The crew was very warm and friendly.

My Seat – it can go maybe 160 degrees at full extent, not completely flat

By the way, the flight attendants actually help you change your shoes into slippers (and back to shoes right before arrival).

Welcome Drink – mostly Chinese tea selections

Welcome snack

Amenity Kits

Service Procedure Card (apologies for the blurry photo)

Meal Service (there’s no card menu btw, the flight attendants would come with iPads exhibiting photos of Chinese and Western choices before asking you to choose) – I opted for the Chinese choice.

Appetizer/Snack

Soup

I think this is the main course

Wait no… this is the main course

Dessert

Fruits

I was not very sleepy so I decided to read a book instead. A flight attendant brought me some traditional Chinese tea (Pu’er) and snacks.

Movies Choices

Breakfast Service

Appetizer/Snack thing again?

More appetizer/snack thing

Main Course

Sorry I got confused again – this is the main course

Dessert/Fruits

Hangzhou Airport Arrival – at 6:00 am I think we’re the first flight to arrive at HGH International Terminal

Return Flight Details:

Airlines: Sichuan Airlines
Flight : 3U 8631 HGH-LAX
Aircraft : Airbus330-200
Departure - HGH : 11:55 pm
Arrival - LAX : 8:30 pm
Flight time : 12h 10m
Distance : 6,581 miles

Business/First Class Lounge at HGH International Terminal

The drink service is basically the same as LAX-HGH, so I'm skipping to dinner service directly
I loooooooooooove the spicy sauce in the middle!!

Snack and Tea

Service Procedure Card

Wash Room Decor

Breakfast

“Shape of My Heart” rice

Mojito at 30,000 feet

I asked for a drink menu

I think this is unique to Sichuan Airlines - a video featuring exercises to help you speed up blood circulation

Welcome back :duck:

CBBW

Re: Sichuan Airlines LAX-HGH-LAX A330-200 Long Haul Business Class

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:40 am

Very nice detailed report, thanks for sharing. :smile:
The food looks quite tasty.

Flightsimboy

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:54 am

That was a lot of food on the outbound. No wonder you had skip and go straight to the main dishes on the inbound to LAX. Those long service cards look tacky and something you would have fully laminated handed out to you in some family run restaurant or the type put under the glass table top. The Sichuan peppers are just something I recently discovered and they would definitely have been in the dishes offered to you on board.

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 am

CBBW wrote:
Very nice detailed report, thanks for sharing. :smile:
The food looks quite tasty.

Thanks for reading :)

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:11 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
That was a lot of food on the outbound. No wonder you had skip and go straight to the main dishes on the inbound to LAX. Those long service cards look tacky and something you would have fully laminated handed out to you in some family run restaurant or the type put under the glass table top. The Sichuan peppers are just something I recently discovered and they would definitely have been in the dishes offered to you on board.

Thanks a lot for reading. The Sichuan chilli garlic sauce is apparently a signature product carried on all Sichuan flights.

debonair

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:00 am

Nice TR, always great to read from such lesser known airlines (at least in the west)!

As for the end of May 2018, Sichuan Airlines does not employ a lounge at LAX

So, what's the alternative - like offering a voucher for a local restaurant?

smi0006

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:09 am

Kinda endearing if not bizzare service!

Chinese tea pregame off is unique too- service procedure card looks as if it should be given to the crews they don’t forgeta step. Why not simply offer a menu?

Thai744

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks for the report. I flew 3U from Australia to China a few years ago and two words come to mind - "Never Again!!!"
They were really pretty awful and it doesn't look like much had changed - certainly not a premium product in J class and way behind other mainland Chinese carriers such as Hainan and Xiamen Airlines and what they offer on their flights.

Appreciated you taking the time to post this - brought back some truly horrible memories! LOL.

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:20 pm

debonair wrote:
Nice TR, always great to read from such lesser known airlines (at least in the west)!

As for the end of May 2018, Sichuan Airlines does not employ a lounge at LAX

So, what's the alternative - like offering a voucher for a local restaurant?

nope.Niente. Nada. Ziltch.

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:23 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Kinda endearing if not bizzare service!

Chinese tea pregame off is unique too- service procedure card looks as if it should be given to the crews they don’t forgeta step. Why not simply offer a menu?

I honestly don't know. They use iPads to showcase pictures. I guess it's a "save the world by using less paper" thing?

bgboiflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Well awesome report out of another "unknown" airline. I saw that they had some amazingly low fares out of the US for $500USD and we almost took it, despite the fact that it would require a ton of connections, which my family did not like, due to the "One Route, One Airline Rule" from way back when. OMAAT did a review and thought the flight was a pigsty and to this, it seems those thoughts were quashed. I guess you aren't as harsh as he is? Anyway I might look to flying them in economy since they seem very hospitable.

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Thai744 wrote:
Thanks for the report. I flew 3U from Australia to China a few years ago and two words come to mind - "Never Again!!!"
They were really pretty awful and it doesn't look like much had changed - certainly not a premium product in J class and way behind other mainland Chinese carriers such as Hainan and Xiamen Airlines and what they offer on their flights.

Appreciated you taking the time to post this - brought back some truly horrible memories! LOL.

Well the upside is that they have plenty of room for improvement? :D I mean I was aiming for a bed to sleep on, the extras were gravy on top

SuperDafanqie
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 am

bgboiflyer wrote:
Well awesome report out of another "unknown" airline. I saw that they had some amazingly low fares out of the US for $500USD and we almost took it, despite the fact that it would require a ton of connections, which my family did not like, due to the "One Route, One Airline Rule" from way back when. OMAAT did a review and thought the flight was a pigsty and to this, it seems those thoughts were quashed. I guess you aren't as harsh as he is? Anyway I might look to flying them in economy since they seem very hospitable.

Hi, bgboiflyer. Thanks for your comments. Please note the Y class is a VERY different environment. I highly recommend Sichuan's domestic flights inside China though. Somehow their international flights are just not on a par with their domestic flights when it comes to Y class.