Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

A midnight dinner on British Airways 777-300ER service from Boston to London Heathrow in World Traveller

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here!

One of the aircraft British Airways operate between London Heathrow and Boston is the Boeing 777. This is usually a -200 variant, of which there are quite a few in the fleet. I was supposed to be flying on one of these on a flight scheduled an hour earlier than the one I review below, but weather had closed Washington National Airport so my connecting flight arrived an hour or so after that aircraft had left.

On arrival I was told to run to Terminal E, which meant getting the bus from the AA terminal, going to check-in, finding no-one there... then a woman saying "she's just left - just go through security!" which surprisingly worked with the boarding passes of the flight that had already departed. Got to the boarding gate for the flight which was already well into being boarded and the agent rebooked me immediately. Of course, I was a sweaty mess, tired, stressed and my bag didn't make the connection - but I was on and I was going home.

Much to my surprise it was a Boeing 777-300ER, which is usually used on really long flights such as those to Sydney and Singapore.

BA214 – Boston to London Heathrow (BOS-LHR)
31 May 2018
Boeing 777-300ER – G-STBG
Seat: World Traveller 38D
Departure: 22:50 Arrival: 10:20+1

The gate agent had realised I'd bussed and run, so she showed some sympathy and assigned me a block of three seats to myself. Since this was flight four of five in a row, I really appreciated this. Seats are arranged in three groups of three and I was assigned an aisle seat in the middle group. Small flat pillows are on each seat along with a blanket. Some dried vomit or food from a previous flight featured on the carpet in the aisle which was a little unpleasant.

Entertainment screens are touch screen though they do also have a controller. A USB charging port is provided for every passenger which is a great addition and is becoming more prevalent on aircraft around the world thanks to our addiction to devices.

Pillows are laid on each seat and they are small, flat and not a lot of use. These have been the same for more than ten years and are a staple in World Traveller. Computer boxes for the inflight entertainment eat up a little leg room, but not much. My dream of putting the three armrests up and stretching out were dashed when an Indian girl from the row behind me decided to move forward to the other aisle seat. Drats!

Once in the air, the cabin crew come through with a drinks service. I ordered a Bloody Mary and a sparkling water and it duly arrived with pretzels and one mini Smirnoff. When boarding I had spoken briefly to a crew member to tell her about my delays and what not. She was at the other end of the trolley and secretly gave me a second Smirnoff mini without her colleague seeing. BA often give you two, so it was nice to see she cottoned on to the fact I only received one.

After the drinks service is complete, the crew come back and offer you dinner. The choice this evening was a chicken curry or a pasta dish so I went with the curry. This comes with a side salad, separate vinaigrette, dessert, a bread roll, cheese and crackers. While the curry looks a little bleak in the pictures it turned out to be quite tasty. The vinaigrette added the required pep to the salad and as a lover of sweet things, the millionaires shortbread went down a treat.

Stress eating is a thing and I was still in the mood for more taste, so I asked for and received the pasta option once done with the curry. It looks very tired as it had been sitting for a while and it didn’t taste all that good either. Sometimes it’s best not to ask for more!

Boston to London is not a long flight by any means, clocking in at around 7 hours. After relaxing with a movie and trying to nap, the lights came back up and breakfast was served. Breakfast was godawful. First, the pretzel was cold and bread goes really dense when it’s been chilled. Secondly, the pretzel was sickly sweet which I really didn’t like. Finally, it’s just a bit meagre and cheap all round. I actually didn’t finish it. After this we landed into London.

World Traveller on the Boeing 777 is pretty decent. Passengers enjoy a large entertainment screen filled with new releases and classic choices from yesteryear. Being able to charge a phone throughout the flight makes me happy too, so the USB sockets are appreciated. Dinner is substantial enough and the Indian curry was tasty, as was the rest of the meal. I feel the plastic cutlery lets the side down though as it looks flimsy and cheap for a full service international carrier.

The less said about the pretzel, the better. British Airways would do well to heat bread for economy class passengers instead of doling out plastic wrapped refrigerated sickly sweet crap like that for breakfast. What do you think of World Traveller on British Airways? Have you flown it before? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading - to see all the pictures, remember to click here - and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

bgboiflyer

Re: A midnight dinner on British Airways 777-300ER service from Boston to London Heathrow in World Traveller

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Don't expect too much when eating on a plane, and doing so makes the food a lot better. I've noticed in the past couple of years that the food quality has improved a lot thanks to competitions, and so yeah, BA might need to up its own game.

Re: A midnight dinner on British Airways 777-300ER service from Boston to London Heathrow in World Traveller

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 am

A cream cheese pretzel? What a strange breakfast option, BA! Dinner looks okay though. Thank you for sharing!

AndrewJM70

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm

They would do better to standardise the food service to Club World standard and charge it at cost (to the entire flight) in Economy. I would happily pay £20 for a decent meal than eat rubbish for free. Those that don't want to pre-book can buy non-perishable snack boxes etc on board. The cost saving would be huge and the service far better.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:51 pm

bgboiflyer wrote:
Don't expect too much when eating on a plane, and doing so makes the food a lot better. I've noticed in the past couple of years that the food quality has improved a lot thanks to competitions, and so yeah, BA might need to up its own game.

Well, I found that BA food really improved at one point back in the early 2010s. I don't know what they did, but all of a sudden the flavour was much enhanced and the food was far nicer than before. It's stayed at that same standard in my opinion since then. It's always pretty tasty.

However, that "breakfast" tasted too sweet and really... what's the word... like thick and dry and horrible.

767747 wrote:
A cream cheese pretzel? What a strange breakfast option, BA! Dinner looks okay though. Thank you for sharing!

I thought it was weird too. It came across as, "What is the cheapest crap we can get away with giving them here?" and that was the choice.

The other food was fine though :)

AndrewJM70 wrote:
They would do better to standardise the food service to Club World standard and charge it at cost (to the entire flight) in Economy. I would happily pay £20 for a decent meal than eat rubbish for free. Those that don't want to pre-book can buy non-perishable snack boxes etc on board. The cost saving would be huge and the service far better.

They would never do that, because then you would have people like me who would trade down to economy, especially on day flights. Half the appeal of Club World is the really good food they serve, so if it was available in World Traveller, I would seriously reconsider my spending.

Aer Lingus used to do an enhanced economy meal you could pay for on the transatlantic flights. I'm not sure if they still do it though. I guess it works for them as their business class is both extremely good and extremely expensive! :) Thanks for the comment!

Ryanair01

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm

I flew BA on the 777-300ER in economy from London to Sydney last year. The seat in a 3+3+3 configuration made for a really pretty comfortable flight. Interestingly I got served the same curry after a mix up, but it came from Club World. Apart from better plating, I think some recipes quietly turn up in multiple cabins.

theobcman

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Good report. As much as anyone could love Y flying I think BA is good as anything ! Seat, food, IFE, crew - big BA fan. Cheers

ba319-131

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Not flown BA long haul in Y for about 15 odd years, but it always seems to be pretty reasonable & I don’t recall having any complaints myself.

These days it’s a mix of WTP & Club, I just feel the need for more space.

Re the catering on this fligh, looks good, except the breakfast offering, who on earth thought that was a good choice?!

lychemsa

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:09 am

I was once served a bacon croissant on British. Talk about gross.

BritTraveller

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 pm

lychemsa wrote:

Whilst I've never had a bacon Croissant, Ham & Cheese croissants are very popular at least here in the UK, so that sounds like a valid breakfast option.

richcandy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Last year on a JFK-LHR breakfast was a cereal bar and a cup of coffee.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
I flew BA on the 777-300ER in economy from London to Sydney last year. The seat in a 3+3+3 configuration made for a really pretty comfortable flight. Interestingly I got served the same curry after a mix up, but it came from Club World. Apart from better plating, I think some recipes quietly turn up in multiple cabins.

I quite like the 777-300ER for the long flights. Nothing wrong with it at all.

You make a good point - I do think some of the food is precisely the same only served in a nicer manner.

Food on BA is generally quite tasty.

theobcman wrote:
Good report. As much as anyone could love Y flying I think BA is good as anything ! Seat, food, IFE, crew - big BA fan. Cheers

Thanks, glad you liked it! I agree, BA are generally pretty good. Lots of little niggles, but overall a solid product.

ba319-131 wrote:
Not flown BA long haul in Y for about 15 odd years, but it always seems to be pretty reasonable & I don’t recall having any complaints myself.

These days it’s a mix of WTP & Club, I just feel the need for more space.

Re the catering on this fligh, looks good, except the breakfast offering, who on earth thought that was a good choice?!

Yes, I usually fly WTP and Club myself, partly because I earn more money than 15 years ago and can afford the little bit extra nowadays. Plus, once you start flying up front, it's really hard to go back :)

Agree the catering was fine on this flight. Breakfast though, what?! I hope that gets corrected.

lychemsa wrote:

Bacon is quite popular in the UK... though I've never heard of a bacon croissant. Sounds weird to me!

BritTraveller wrote:
Whilst I've never had a bacon Croissant, Ham & Cheese croissants are very popular at least here in the UK, so that sounds like a valid breakfast option.

I was going to say the same, Ham and Cheese croissants are certainly way more common in the UK, and that's what I would have expected it to be.

Could be the bacon butty that was offered quite a lot. Not a croissant, but bacon between two buns. That seems popular too!

richcandy wrote:
Last year on a JFK-LHR breakfast was a cereal bar and a cup of coffee.

I'd have taken the cereal bar over the "pretzel" - but both sound pretty dire.

I mean even a porridge pot, fill with hot water, wait 5 minutes and it's ready would be preferable. I guess time will tell if they make any changes or not.