Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Dinner is served in First Class on American Airlines between Washington DC and Chicago

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:37 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

I quite like comparing what airlines in the same alliance serve at meal times on board their flights. After another very delicious meal on British Airways in Club Europe, the bar is certainly set quite high in the oneworld alliance.

There are a whole bunch of rules when it comes to food being served domestically on American Airlines and usually flights under 900 miles in length get no meal. However, there are some exceptions and Washington DC to Chicago is one of these. Eating on board is a great way to pass the time, so I always look forward to the on board service.

On American you can select your meal in First Class before you fly, by logging in to your booking and choosing your meal. I didn't do this on this flight though and I was interested to see what was going to be served, so let's have a look.

AA1079 – Washington DC to Chicago (DCA-ORD)
27 May 2018
Boeing 737-823 – N839NN
Seat: First Class 4F
Departure: 17:30 Arrival: 19:06

There were no Concierge Key members so I ended up being first on board, which I wanted so I could get some pictures of the seats and cabin. There are four rows of First Class on American Airlines Boeing 737 fleet, starting at row three.

People seated in row four and back have an extra flip down table between the two seats which does come in handy. There is also storage under the arm rest which is perhaps where you can stash a tablet. Seating is quite comfortable and there is plenty of space to settle into. In the USA, the First Class passengers tend to all be seated to watch the parade of plebs passing headed for the Main Cabin.

Flight Attendants sneak their way in between boarding passengers to enquire if you’d like a drink before departure. I always take the sparkling wine or Champagne and today is no exception. The bubbles were very average, but I really don’t like the mat used for under the cup. It’s advertising and while it may save a penny, it looks cheap cheap cheap.

Before heading off, I decided to hit the facilities. When you have to go, you have to go and I wasn’t crossing my legs throughout taxi and take-off. Being relaxed and enjoying the flight is essential, so a pre-flight tinkle was in order. An added benefit of visiting the facilities before flying is that they are virtually guaranteed to be clean. Once done, I headed back to my seat and strapped in as it was almost time to go.

Since DCA-ORD is one of those flights that gets a dinner service, I was quite looking forward to seeing what was being dished out. The crew first come through asking for drinks orders and your selection from the menu. The drinks and warm nuts then arrive. Wine on American is never really that great, so I restricted myself to just the one glass. The warm nuts were as they always are, warm and nutty.

Next up came the dinner service, which I had been waiting for. Anaemic is the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the chicken. Perhaps I was flying Weight Watchers Airlines, because it certainly looked lean. Once I got over my surprise, I tucked in. The salad was good, the chicken and vegetables fine. It just wasn’t exciting at all and nothing compared to the explosion of taste I experienced on a similar length flight with British Airways.

Once the meal is cleared away, you get a chocolate chip cookie for dessert which is a nice touch. Shortly after we commenced our descent and landed into Chicago without incident. Perhaps my expectations were coloured by a series of amazing meals in Club Europe on British Airways, which is the equivalent of American Airlines domestic First Class on routes such as DCA-ORD. I quite frankly found the food to be meh.

Nothing about it was interesting or exciting to the palate. It was food and it was fine and that was it. On board service from the crew was friendly and the drinks were mediocre at best. The flight cost me €80 more than flying in Main Cabin and the larger seat makes it worth I guess.

What do you think of the meals on American Airlines served in domestic First Class? Remember to, click here for all the other pictures if you want to see them.Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

Re: Dinner is served in First Class on American Airlines between Washington DC and Chicago

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:15 am

Looks like a pretty typical F meal on a domestic flight in the US. The cookie though is a bit weak as desert. I fly Delta almost exclusively, and they've recently upgraded their deserts to include some type of cake/pie/tiramisu at least on their shorter flights with meal service. Thank you for sharing!

GTTIC

Re: Dinner is served in First Class on American Airlines between Washington DC and Chicago

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
In the USA, the First Class passengers tend to all be seated to watch the parade of plebs passing headed for the Main Cabin.

Wow.

KLMA330

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:20 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
In the USA, the First Class passengers tend to all be seated to watch the parade of plebs passing headed for the Main Cabin.

Umm, easy there buddy.. maybe get over yourself, just a tad :)

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:43 pm

767747 wrote:
Looks like a pretty typical F meal on a domestic flight in the US. The cookie though is a bit weak as desert. I fly Delta almost exclusively, and they've recently upgraded their deserts to include some type of cake/pie/tiramisu at least on their shorter flights with meal service. Thank you for sharing!

I quite like cookies and the ones on American are fine. You are right though, as a dessert for dinner, it is probably not the best thing of all. I keep hearing good things about Delta and the cake/pie/tiramisu would be something I'd really enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

GTTIC wrote:
Wow.

I have that kind of humour :)

KLMA330 wrote:
Umm, easy there buddy.. maybe get over yourself, just a tad :)

Just jokes, of course. On this trip, I flew down the back on almost all the flights so don't worry, I certainly am that pleb too. I just liked the alliteration of the phrase "parade of passing plebs" when it sprung to mind as I was writing so I went for it :) Thanks for reading the report though!

KLM11

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi ClassicLover,

Read a number of your reports and appreciate your regard for what's served onboard. Obviously most could care less, but it's still a relevant facet of the flying experience (at least up front). And yeah, that chicken looks... :?

KLM11

AA737-823

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:22 pm

I came to read about your meal experience; as one data point, I am disinterested in your liquid biological needs.
I could happily have gone all day without knowing them.
A tasteful comment as to the cleanliness of the lavatory is valuable, of course.

lychemsa

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:03 pm

American meals in economy are the worst. That cookie in First is not good. Interesting that DELTA serve a decent desert.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:02 pm

KLM11 wrote:
Hi ClassicLover,

Read a number of your reports and appreciate your regard for what's served onboard. Obviously most could care less, but it's still a relevant facet of the flying experience (at least up front). And yeah, that chicken looks... :?

KLM11

Hey KLM11,

Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I like the food, it's a highlight (or lowlight, depending what is served!) for me.

It's certainly part of the experience, and on this flight it was definitely something!

AA737-823 wrote:
I came to read about your meal experience; as one data point, I am disinterested in your liquid biological needs.
I could happily have gone all day without knowing them.
A tasteful comment as to the cleanliness of the lavatory is valuable, of course.

Well, everyone is human - we all have the same liquid biological needs. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it!

lychemsa wrote:
American meals in economy are the worst. That cookie in First is not good. Interesting that DELTA serve a decent desert.

A lot of people keep commenting on how good Delta are.

I am going to have to give them a go at some point, because apparently they're doing a really good job, from what I am constantly seeing in comments here. Hope you enjoyed the report!