Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Regional jet fun - American Airlines New York JFK to Washington DCA on the ERJ-145

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:31 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

I don't often fly on smaller regional jets, so it's always something different when I manage to get one when I am in the United States. I've managed to get a CRJ-200 before out of Savannah, which is an aircraft I never see in Europe.

This time it was the 50 seater Embraer 145 of American Airlines that was going to take me from New York to Washington DC. When selecting a seat beforehand, I was pleased to see the seating is arranged 1 x 2. It's a great thing when you're on your own and can select a seat that guarantees there is no-one next to you. Call me antisocial but I do love having nobody next to me - unless I am travelling with a friend of course! It'd be rude not to sit next to them.

AA4261 – New York to Washington DC (JFK-DCA)
27 May 2018
Embraer 145 – N616AE
Seat: Main Cabin 4A
Departure: 11:29 Arrival: 12:49

Boarding in New York was relatively fast considering the small number of passengers that fit on board the aircraft. After a wait on the jetbridge we were soon allowed on the flight. The overhead lockers are on the right hand side of the cabin and I had no trouble stowing my small bag. In short order we were given the safety demonstration and took to the air.

Leg room - or more specifically - knee room is quite okay for me. Cabin crew come around once in the air offering a small snack and a drink. I took one of the Biscoff biscuit packs and a cup of water. Since the flight was so short, nothing more is really required. There is no first class cabin on the ERJ, so everyone gets exactly the same thing.

We landed without incident at Washington Reagan airport and then parked up among a gaggle of other similar aircraft. Once down the stairs, you get on board a bus for the short ride to the terminal. Weirdly you drive away from the terminal, turn around, and then go back before getting off and entering the terminal.

Taking an ERJ is a perfectly fine experience for such a short flight. Being given a complimentary snack and something to drink is a good touch and I have no complaints about the service. There is not a whole lot of overhead space for bags, so I was glad I only had my laptop bag with me. The crew were fine and everything went well.

Have you flown on an American ERJ? What do you think? The rest of the pictures (and there aren't that many!) are linked here. Thanks for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

kann123air

Re: Regional jet fun - American Airlines New York JFK to Washington DCA on the ERJ-145

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 am

Cool TR man! I used to fly AA's ERJs frequently on FSM-DFW-FSM until it was switched to a CR2/7/9 route in 2014. I miss the 1x2 seating arrangement, and you're right, it's great to be on the left if you're traveling alone! :)

Also - it looks like AA added new seat covers to the 145 fleet. They look nice, though I'll miss the old, worn-but-comfortable blue fabric covers.

fbgdavidson

Re: Regional jet fun - American Airlines New York JFK to Washington DCA on the ERJ-145

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:25 am

AA do fly a wide range of equipment on this route. I was booked to fly on a 738 a few weeks ago but a schedule change didn't gel with my very tight time scheduling so I ended up getting a refund and flying DL. Slightly annoying as F was about 50% more on DL than I paid for the equivalent on AA but it was a chance to sample something different. DL was on a CR9.

I rather like the ERJs for the 1-2 layout. Used to get them almost every time I flew UA and US when I lived in RIC. Much less so now...

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm

kann123air wrote:
Cool TR man! I used to fly AA's ERJs frequently on FSM-DFW-FSM until it was switched to a CR2/7/9 route in 2014. I miss the 1x2 seating arrangement, and you're right, it's great to be on the left if you're traveling alone! :)

Also - it looks like AA added new seat covers to the 145 fleet. They look nice, though I'll miss the old, worn-but-comfortable blue fabric covers.

I love sitting on the left all alone in the single seat. It just feels really right - plus, no-one sitting next to you is always bliss! :)

The blue fabric covers are going everywhere. I noticed even on the 737s the seats covers are different, so I think they'll be totally gone before long. Sorry for the delay in my reply, I've been really busy - thanks for the comment!

fbgdavidson wrote:
AA do fly a wide range of equipment on this route. I was booked to fly on a 738 a few weeks ago but a schedule change didn't gel with my very tight time scheduling so I ended up getting a refund and flying DL. Slightly annoying as F was about 50% more on DL than I paid for the equivalent on AA but it was a chance to sample something different. DL was on a CR9.

I rather like the ERJs for the 1-2 layout. Used to get them almost every time I flew UA and US when I lived in RIC. Much less so now...

They really do fly a wide range of equipment on the route. When I was booking, I could see what was being offered and would have chosen something else apart from the fact this flight time was the only one that suited me. Not complaining, it turned out fine, though I don't love a bus from the aircraft to the gate.

Shame your DL was so much more - ouch! Thanks for the comment!