Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Riding the American Boeing 737 between Chicago and Seattle in Main Cabin Extra

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

What do you do when you have a four and a half hour flight ahead in economy class? Before I travelled, I was wondering how I was going to occupy my time, considering there is no free food on board or anything like that. As everyone knows, being served food really can kill an hour or more of a flight.

Luckily I booked early enough that a Main Cabin Extra bulkhead seat was still available for my flight. On American, these seats have a few inches extra leg room, and as of this week, passengers seated here also get complimentary beer, wine and spirits. I flew just before this change though, so it was just complimentary soft drinks for me.

After flying from Dublin, I visited the Flagship Lounge in Chicago and then boarded this flight on time. As I was one of the first on board, I got to take some cabin shots before all the passengers arrived.

AA1438 – Chicago to Seattle (ORD-SEA)
17 May 2018
Boeing 737-823 – N954AN
Seat: Main Cabin Extra 7A
Departure: 13:55 Arrival: 16:24

Leg room in Main Cabin Extra is better than the other seats and you usually pay for the privilege. As I have Sapphire status with oneworld, I was able to select the seats for free.

After the safety demonstration, we were in the air for the four and a half hour journey to Seattle. Complimentary pretzels are handed out with your complimentary non-alcoholic beverage. Of course, you can also purchase food and drinks on a flight of this duration. I selected a bottle of red wine and then settled in with the Gogo Wi-Fi for the cross country flight.

The flight passed quite quickly and later I spent a little bit of time in the rear galley chatting to the crew. They were quite friendly and happy to chat which was great. We landed in Seattle on time and my bag was one of the first out on the carousel, which is a total win!

Before my flight between ORD and SEA, I was wondering what I was going to do to pass the time. Four and a half hours anchored into a seat with nothing to do is somewhat alarming. Wireless Internet in flight is really excellent and that is exactly how I passed the time. I didn’t really need any food as I had been eating all the way from Dublin on the previous flight, so everything worked out nicely. It is great to see Priority Baggage means exactly that as well – I was thrilled to have my bag so quickly.

What do you think of American’s Main Cabin or Main Cabin Extra seats and service? Thank you for reading, remember all the photos are linked here and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

chepos

Re: Riding the American Boeing 737 between Chicago and Seattle in Main Cabin Extra

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Thx for sharing, you could have lucked out and gotten one of the few 738’s with the PTV’s, alas they will eventually be removing those. Glad you got a friendly ORD crew. The Gogo is a hit or miss, at times it can be painfully slow,

MarcoPoloWorld

Re: Riding the American Boeing 737 between Chicago and Seattle in Main Cabin Extra

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 am

Another off-site divert.... :roll:

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:41 pm

chepos wrote:
Thx for sharing, you could have lucked out and gotten one of the few 738’s with the PTV’s, alas they will eventually be removing those. Glad you got a friendly ORD crew. The Gogo is a hit or miss, at times it can be painfully slow,

I've been on the PTV fitted 737s and A320s at American. They're really sweet! I know they're all going, but it makes sense as I imagine the weight is hefty enough. A lot of people have their own devices anyway, so if you really want to watch something, you can do it that way.

I don't usually have the luxury of inflight Internet in Europe as it's not commonly offered yet. So any service is good service to me :) Thanks for the comment!

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
Another off-site divert.... :roll:

Well within the rules of the Trip Reports forum. I am posting the full reports on here, usually with extra details when compared to the blog. You're not obliged to click. I do appreciate you reading my stuff though - I hope you enjoy it :)