Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83
Topic Author

Trip to Amsterdam and Greece

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 pm

This is my first trip report so hopefully this goes okay!

My routes
STL-DTW-AMS on Delta
AMS-ATH on Aegean
JTR-AMS on Transavia
AMS-DTW-STL on Delta

Leg 1

Delta
STL-DTW
DL6220 (operated by GoJet)
CRJ-900
Comfort+

Started the trip in STL. Before we got on the plane I walked the concourse and saw Tran States Airlines painted jet(ERJ-145 or 35) doing a leg to ORD for United.

Our inbound plane was about 30 minutes late but we ended up landing at DTW early. We only had about a 50 minute connection so that ended up being a good thing. The wife was a little concerned we wouldn't make it at first.

Getting ready to go!
I chose the row one back from the front of Comfort+ because I have heard you can get bumped a lot in the front seat.

Leg room was pretty good in Comfort+. It was a short flight anyway though

Leg 2

Delta
DTW-AMS
DL136
A330-300
Comfort+

Arrived at DTW with plenty of time so I got a pic of our plane before we boarded. This was my 2nd time on an A330. I had also been on one flying Aer Lingus from DUB-EWR.

I really liked the Detroit airport. Easy to navigate nice big concourses.

On the plane. It was running on time.
A couple seat pics. I picked the bulkhead because I wanted as much legroom as possible to try to sleep. It worked out really well. I would choose it again.

Comfort+ came with a kit with a toothbrush, toothpaste and earplugs. Earphones and a sleep mask were also provided (but I think everyone gets the last 2 things)

The monitor never turned on except for the safety briefing.

Legroom

We got served drinks and dinner first out of everyone (except 1st class) which on one had was nice, but it took a long time them to come back and give us our food after we got our first drink. Not a major complaint, but maybe there is a better way to break up how they do the service. I think I was more aware of it because I wanted to get to sleep as soon as possible.

I forgot to take a pic before I started eating but I got the chicken. It was okay for plane food. Nothing special but I ate it. The cookie/brownie thing was the best part.

Bottled water later in the flight. We did get breakfast but I forgot to take a pic. I remember it not being very good but I also think it wasn't something I would normally like, so you have to factor that in. I don't think I ate much of it. I think it was a bagel or some not great spread.

A pic of other planes going by as we got to about Ireland and one of windmills in the water.

We spent 5 days in Amsterdam before the next flight

Leg 3

Aegean
AMS-ATH
A3625
A320-200
Economy

Flight was on time. I decided to risk taking a larger than allowed roller bag (European Standard wise) with me to the plane based on other posts. They asked for people to gate check bags. I quickly volunteered and it was checked for free, so that worked out well.

Legroom was tight. Tightest of all our flights. I was happy I had an aisle

Meal was chicken and rice. Ended up being pretty good. I thought it was better than the Delta flight's meal. Again I started to eat before I took the pic.

Got to offload on a hard stand which was fun. I hadn't done that in a long time.

After spending some time in Athens and taking ferries to a couple islands it was time to start the trip home.

Leg 4

Transavia
JTR-AMS
HV6892
B737-800
Extra Leg Room Seats

I wasn't sure really sure what to expect from Transavia. I had never flew any kind of ULCC, even in the USA. It ended up being a good experience and I would fly them again. This also made me more open to flying a ULCC some point back in the states. The plane was only 2 years old and in good shape. I would buy the extra leg room seats again because the normal seats looked tight. We bought water and food before we got on the flight. I did find it interesting they were selling watches and things like that on the flight but I guess whatever helps keep fares down is good.

First some pics from the airport. There was a Sky Express prop plane and a Vueling A320.

Take offs

Nice patio airside to watch the planes and enjoy the weather.

Our plane is here!

Boarding

Green Overload!!

Great Legroom in the exit row.

When you don't want to sit by each other (or want a middle seat) but only have one device...…

Back at Amsterdam for a day before the trip back to STL.

Took some pics from the viewing deck

Leg 5

Delta
AMS-DTW
DL137
A330-300
Economy

Same type of plane as on the way over, just sitting in the back this time. I didn't plan on sleeping so they were fine for the flight back.

Legroom

Cabin

KLM 747 out the window as we were pushing back.

Snack to start. I didn't have any but the wife like them.

For Lunch I got the cheese ravioli. It was hot and actually very good. Probably my favorite airplane meal out of the three we had. Pretzel roll was nice for something different. The chocolate/fruit cup would have been better if it was just chocolate but that is probably a personal preference.

Later we got a snack pack. I only liked the mint and chocolate bar. I am not a big caramel popcorn person and the rest was just not things I like anyway.

Took some pics of the ice flows before we got to Canada. I was a little surprised there still was ice here.

Just missed us.....

2nd meal time. I got a turkey and cheese croissant thing. The wife got the pizza roll. We liked both. Mine was looking rough but 6 hours into the flight you can only expect so much. The ice cream bar was.. well an ice cream bar and tasted like it should have.

Landing in Detroit.

Took a pic of a A350 while waiting for the next flight. Looks sharp. I probably would have tried to fly back on one but I don't like the 3x3x3 seating.

Leg 6

Delta
DTW-STL
DL2425
A319
Economy

Not much to say about this one. Short flight and because of rough weather we just got water service. I spent most of it finishing up the movie Black Panther that I started on the AMS-DTW flight. The plane did have seatback monitors.

Legroom

Overall the trip went great. All the flights worked out perfectly. I plan on going back to Amsterdam at some point. My wife wants to see the tulips. Greece was pretty much as advertised. I probably would spend more time on islands like Paros and not go back to Santorini or Athens, but I figured you have to go once.

If anyone wants more info about places I stayed or did to plan your own trip feel free to message me or ask. I just didn't want to include them on this post.

skyduster

Re: Trip to Amsterdam and Greece

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:13 am

Chicken and orzo (not rice). A pasta widely eaten in Greece. :)

Great report!

Jshank83
Topic Author

Re: Trip to Amsterdam and Greece

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm

skyduster wrote:
Chicken and orzo (not rice). A pasta widely eaten in Greece. :)

Great report!

Thanks! As I was typing it I was thinking this wasn't really rice but I couldn't think of the actual name.