MisterAirplane
Topic Author

Air Canada hop across the pond – [J] Toronto to Munich A330 with Video

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:16 am

Air Canada hop across the pond – [J] Toronto to Munich A330 with Video

Intro
This trip report covers Air Canada flight from Toronto to Munich (YYZ-MUC).

Background

In September 2017, I took an around the world tour using Aeroplan, flew in business class for all the legs, except for KIX-HND.

Used 150,000 points for redemption, using the 1 stopover - 1 destination - 1 stopover and unlimited layovers rules, and booked it via phone. Total taxes were around $700 in addition to the points spent.

Itinerary was: YYZ-MUC-CGN-VIE-HKG-KIX-HND-YYZ using Air Canada, Lufthansa, Austrian, All Nippon Airways, Starflyer, and Air Canada again on the way back from Haneda.

I'll be posting several other trip reports in the next few days/weeks with various different segments.

Trip report video also includes a takeoff video (albeit in the evening without much light) and some inflight control demos.

Link to video report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hof_2XRN9hw&index=4&list=PLKlCggPE9d9SUJ9RDwjt6vxv4xT-6pdl3

Hope you enjoy!

Flight Details
AIR CANADA – AC846
TORONTO TO MUNICH
September 1, 2017
Departure: 17:10
Arrival: 08:00+1
Seat 04F

I was connecting the next day onward to Cologne at 07:50. Spending <24 hours in Munich, but a full day nonetheless on an Aeroplan reward ticket. Any stops less than 24 hours are considered ‘connections’ and not a stopover!

The Flight

Some munchies prior to the flight in the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge in Terminal 1. Quite busy that day – around 3pm in the afternoon.

Ate only a bit as I was looking forward to dinner on the plane. Didn’t want to be stuffed before the meal!

Boarding pass in hand!

Gate for today – still was a 20minute wait boarding was a bit later than expected.

The Airbus A330 for today’s flight.

The business pod seats which have been used for quite some time – still very comfortable, lie flat seats.

Ammenity kit – standard toothbrush, earplugs, and a few other items.

Prior to takeoff we were given our breakfast order sheets. Fully customizable now – excellent!

Dinner menu

Quick shot of Lake Ontario on the way out from Pearson.

Noise cancelling headset. Large tray table, not really the easiest to get out for some reason on my seat. Maybe just some wear.

Warm nuts and a club soda to start.

Sun is starting to set as we climb above the clouds.

Appetizer to start – delicious tiger prawns, artichokes and roasted fennel

Had the fish (cod) & quinoa for todays flight.

Then a glass of port to go along with the cheese and crackers and grapes

Followed by some fruits. Decided to skip on the dark chocolate fondant.

Ammenity kit innards.

After a movie or two and a few hours of sleep, it was already time for breakfast. Bread and fruits first…

Followed by the omlette.

Landed in Munich. Bummer it was raining.

Luckily rain didn’t last and by the time I got out, it had stopped.

Hopped onto the train and headed to my hotel for the night (I checked in super-early at around 10am! Super friendly staff) – the Courtyard Munich East.

Perfect room for a 1 night stay.

Had an espresso before venturing out – not much sleep and pretty much lost 6 hours of sleep on the flight there!

The view from the room.

Hopped back onto the train to explore Munich!

Some apple straddle munchies.

Overall
Great flight, service was good, food was good. Happy camper.

The time of the flight is great – after dinner, not so hard to fall asleep, and you pretty much get to start your day over again once you’re there (albeit on the next day).

Will continue to fly Air Canada out of Toronto … have not had other business class experience out of YYZ, but have flown other airlines elsewhere. Not the greatest, not bad, definitely a good experience for J.

Definitely visiting Munich again.

Comments/ Other
Feedback is welcome!

Have written a few other TRs in the past few years but my old host is no longer working.

Already created some videos so if you want to watch them now, you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPI9RM ... v4xT-6pdl3
Full Playlist of My TripReports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QmMeOWHGGE All Nippon Airways: Hong Kong to Osaka [Business] 767-300ER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKAO4_2Cyw Cathay Pacific: Taipei to Hong Kong [Premium] A350-900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hof_2XRN9hw Air Canada: Toronto to Munich [Business] B777-300ER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPI9RMRSlc Lufthansa: Munich to Cologne [Business] A320
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX-2XFYztp0 Starflyer: Osaka to Tokyo [Economy] A320

Flightsimboy

Re: Air Canada hop across the pond – [J] Toronto to Munich A330 with Video

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Just posted my trip report but all in Economy. What were your actual stopovers. I believe it's three stopovers allowed on the round the world. True 150K gets you in business but I didn't have that many points..Will be checking your videos.

With Air Canada leaving Aeroplan in 2020 I still hope one can book these around the world redemption fares though it will be on international carriers out of YYZ.

frankfurtfun

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Isn´t it a triple-7 on the photo?

kh1

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 am

frankfurtfun wrote:
Isn´t it a triple-7 on the photo?

In that picture that's definitely a 777, but I think that was from the gate next to his plane, and his was an A330.