Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

proudpilot94
Topic Author

26 hours from Canada to Colombia

Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 am

Kamloops, Canada - Medellín, Colombia

Hey guys! This is my first post on a.net. Hope I don't screw it up.

I am the son of an American and a Canadian, and I grew up in Canada, but I was fortunate to be born in Colombia. My parents now live in Colombia and after three years without seeing them I decided to go for a visit.

I currently fly Boeing 737 for WestJet, but my dad insisted to buy my tickets.
I had planned to drive 400km from Kamloops to Vancouver to take my flight, however a last minute freeway closure forced me to buy a ticket with the competition.

Flight CYKA - CYVR AC8191 operated by Jazz

The tiny little Kamloops airport. It is a small airport, but with good movement in terms of general aviation. WestJet Encore operates two daily flights to Calgary and Air Canada Express operates two flights to Calgary and between four and five to Vancouver. Central Mountain Air has a daily flight to Prince George and two weekly flights to Vancouver. There are two flight schools; Canadian Flight Center (really bad flight school) and TylAir.

Image[/url

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CURQ7G]Image

After passing security and ready to board this DHC-8-300 (It was not even a Q300)

Comfortable configuration of this oldie.

The crew was based in Montreal. It is quite rare to see this kind of crew in BC. Also the plane with the Jazz livery is quite rare, since only some backup aircraft have it.

Finishing boarding.

And taking active for takeoff. YKA is an uncontrolled airport, however there are people in the control tower that re-transmit Vancouver clearances to proceed.

Here we go!

The Thompson River valley. There is Kamloops under those clouds.

Nicola Valley and Merritt.

Onboard service. Pretty good for a 45 minute flight.

Personally, I haven't flown with Air Canada very much, I don't really like their product. This flight was the exception.

Fraser Valley as we fly over Whistler. It feels strange to fly on a DHC-8-300 being a former captain of a Q400. The generational change is evident, however it gives some nostalgia. Jazz is working with Fokker Services to extend the life of these beauties for at least 15 more years.

Bathroom with its typical "winterization kit" (basically without sink)

Descending over Glen Valley. In the background Boundary bay and the populations of Surrey and Langley.
That peninsula on the right is Point Roberts and it is part of the United States.

Flying over Maple Ridge and YVR in the background.

On final with North Vancouver, Downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park in the background.

Finally parked on the Air Canada domestic pier.

I left the sterile area to proceed to the transborder area from where my next flight would depart.

Flight CYVR - KLAX UA5547 operates by SkyWest

Transborder area of YVR.
It always saddens me to leave Canada. However, it's not the case when I go to Colombia.

The Embraer 175 that would take me to LAX in two and a half hours.

Once aboard...
I've always liked United. They are my number one choice to travel to where WestJet does not fly.

Taxiing to runway 26L

A beautiful Boeing 787-9 with the old livery.
The new livery seems horrible to me.

The legroom is decent enough, however the seat is terribly uncomfortable.

Beautiful 767 :)

Air China to Beijing

Taking active and let's go!

A beautiful Boeing 737-500 from Air North.

Buh bye Vancouver!

Vancouver Island with Parksville in the background.

Inflight Entertainment.

Flying over Oregon as the service begins. I did not eat anything. The complementary service were mini pretzels and a drink.

Starting the descent over Fresno.

LAX!

On base with a smoggy Downtown in the background.

The famous In-N-Out on Sepulveda.

Made it!

Terminals 7 and 8 of United.
Terminal 7 was a mess, but terminal 8 was recently renovated.

Walking towards terminal 8.

Passing through American's terminal on my way to take my Copa flight from the TBIT.

Flight KLAX - MPTO CM362

I love flying with Copa. They were my family for many years (I flew MD80 and E190 for AeroRepublica and Copa Airlines Colombia). When I arrived at TBIT, the first thing I looked for was the Star Alliance VIP lounge. It is my favorite lounge because of the food, besides having good showers.
A discreet photo to not to bother the passengers.

Straight to the shower.

I love the idea. In addition to that there is a clean toilet. (For those who hate using public washrooms): lol:

A quick snack and bound to my Copa Airlines flight.

Waiting area.

Mi ride for the next six hours.

Tell me whatever you want, but the Boeing 737 is the most beautiful plane in the world.

Since I did not have a window seat, there were not many pictures to take. The entertainment system was very slow, plus the selection of shows was very poor.

I slept till breakfast service started; more or less when flying over Nicaragua.

The breakfast was not bad. The service could improve though.

"Flight attendants, prepare cabin for the arrival"

Flight MPTO - SKRG P5 533 operated by Copa Airlines Colombia (Aero República)

My time in Tocumen was ephemeral. It was late and I had to run to my gate.
I expected to see the Colombian merchant flag on my 737-700, however I was saddened to realize that it was a flight operated by Copa Panama.

Once onboard I was surprised to see that my flight was in fact operated by Copa Colombia, only that it was a plane on Fleet Interchange between Copa and Copa Colombia.
It was very nice to see old colleagues.

Let's go!

I almost cried when the captain announced that we were entering Colombian airspace.

Those mountains :hearts:

Flying over the place where I was born.

Made it!

Beautiful Avianca!

It has was very special for me to return to my country. Although for a short time, I'll make the most out of it. This is my first trip report. Hope you like it. I am open to suggestions. :)

InnsbruckFlyer

Re: 26 hours from Canada to Colombia

Sat May 26, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for sharing your journey home with the a.net community!! Great first report, great photos, and I'm looking forward to the return journey's report!!

Greets from Innsbruck,

InnsbruckFlyer

proudpilot94
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Thank you! There are some typos though. The original trip report was in Spanish so I used google translate (lazy me) and it didn’t do a great job. I fixed as much as I could.

igtrader88

Thu May 31, 2018 11:04 am

Great first TR, looking forward to the return leg

lychemsa

Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Wow how complicated to get to Colombia when one lives in a small town. The Kamloops area though I hear is beautiful. Would love to go to Colombia and Jasper / Banff. We have nonstop flights to Calgary and Colombia. LOL. Much easier to travel from.

proudpilot94
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:50 am

igtrader88 wrote:
Great first TR, looking forward to the return leg

Thank you!! Still working on it. Hopefully will have it ready tomorrow :)

lychemsa wrote:
Wow how complicated to get to Colombia when one lives in a small town. The Kamloops area though I hear is beautiful. Would love to go to Colombia and Jasper / Banff. We have nonstop flights to Calgary and Colombia. LOL. Much easier to travel from.

It is complicated but not for very long. This summer AC Rouge will operate a direct flight between Kamloops and Toronto.
And yes, Kamloops area is beautiful but there are way more beautiful places in BC. :)

aeromoe

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 am

Good stuff! Thanks for posting a very nice trip report.

directorguy

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Loved the pics thanks for sharing