Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Hitting it out of the park again, British Airways! Superb food ARN-LHR in Club Europe

Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

I never really expect food on what are essentially domestic flights to be much good. When it comes to business class, things are usually a little bit better but even then it can be a world of bland small portions.

On the longer European flights on British Airways, a complete meal is served. This comprises of what is essentially four courses - a starter, main course, dessert and a cheese course. What astonishes me is that the good is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

BA779 – Stockholm Arlanda to London Heathrow (ARN-LHR)
6 May 2018
Airbus A320-200 – G-EUYA
Seat: Club Europe 1F
Departure: 15:50 Arrival: 17:30

After checking in, I headed up to the Menzies Aurora Lounge which I have reviewed previously. I was on the hunt for some of my favourite lounge foods.

Swedish meatballs, smoked salmon, potato salad, a pasta salad and the warm potato made for a delicious pre-flight plate. It was so good I had a second one and washed it all down with Lingonberry drink. Love the food in this lounge!

Eventually it was time to board and I waddled off to the aircraft and ended up being first on. This meant that I was treated to the sight of the baggage containers being loaded about a metre from my face. Once everyone was on board, we had the manual safety demonstration. The crew stated that as we had no delay between taxi and take-off, the usual six minute plus video was too long to play.

Still fairly full from stuffing my face in the lounge, I was happy to have any kind of delay in the food service. On these long European flights, British Airways serve drinks and nuts first. Recently the nuts were changed to almonds which I am quite happy about. Climbing out of Stockholm is quite lovely, especially when passing over the archipelago.

A beetroot carpaccio with goat’s cheese is the starter, which is fresh and light. I quite like beetroot as a general rule, so this is right up my alley. The dessert and cheese course come on the same tray, with the main plates being swapped out.

While the starter is fine, the real star of this show is the main course. I selected the Chicken tikka masala with saffron pilaf and gobi saag. Now I have no idea who Gobi Saag is, but I’m game for anything. Perfection in every way! I love the inclusion of the fresh chilli so you can bite and spice it up a little. Spectacularly cooked chicken in an amazing sauce and even the gobi saag – which appears to be cauliflower hiding in a green coat – was great. Really impressive all round!

Happily the fresh berry pavlova with vanilla cream was quite light for dessert. After a pause, the cheese course also went down pretty well. It is a decent amount of food for a flight just over two hours, isn’t it?

As far as I am concerned, British Airways has it right when it comes to the quality and quantity of the food on longer flights. You receive four courses of food and five if you count tea and coffee after as a course.That coupled with the fact the Champagne is real, the quality of the other drinks is good and you can get Twinings tea really make the soft product very good within Europe. Of course, shorter European flights do get somewhat less food, but no-one else gets nothing.

How does the British Airways food compare to your airline’s first class food domestically in the USA? Perhaps you’re Australian so how does it compare to the business class food down under? What about other airlines offerings within Europe? Thanks for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Remember, to see all the pictures, please click here.

seat38a

Re: Hitting it out of the park again, British Airways! Superb food ARN-LHR in Club Europe

Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Well I think your the first in a LONG LONG time that I've heard the word "Superb" and BA in the same sentence. Anyways hope you had fun.

Re: Hitting it out of the park again, British Airways! Superb food ARN-LHR in Club Europe

Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks for your report. It looks like BA did offer a really nice offering on the flight you took - I've read so many negative reports about them of late, it was nice to read about a positive flight experience with them! That Indian food looks amazing. It's making me hungry!

Looking forward to seeing more of your reports. Best, Matthew

theobcman

Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Nice report. My last few BA CE flights I must say have all been superb. Much like your experience here. I am LHR based but BA, I think is a step above. Big fan ! Cheers

theobcman

Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm

One question : ARN-LHR how did you manage to cross the Welsh coast ?!?

Kent350787

Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 am

It does look appetising, but they need to learn what a pavlova is! :)

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:00 am

seat38a wrote:
Well I think your the first in a LONG LONG time that I've heard the word "Superb" and BA in the same sentence. Anyways hope you had fun.

The food is generally really tasty on the longer sectors in Club Europe - anytime I have been in that cabin on a long sector I have had excellent food.

Hopefully the rumour that all the current medium length routes will get the same catering as the long flights will come true.

767747 wrote:
Thanks for your report. It looks like BA did offer a really nice offering on the flight you took - I've read so many negative reports about them of late, it was nice to read about a positive flight experience with them! That Indian food looks amazing. It's making me hungry!

Looking forward to seeing more of your reports. Best, Matthew

Thanks, Matthew! I always find the British Airways cabin crew to be pretty decent all round. I think a lot of people unfairly malign BA when it's not really warranted, due to the changes that have been made. That Indian meal was a taste sensation, really!

theobcman wrote:
Nice report. My last few BA CE flights I must say have all been superb. Much like your experience here. I am LHR based but BA, I think is a step above. Big fan ! Cheers

Same here, I think they do a great job for the most part. It's why I keep giving them my money, after all! Thanks for the kind words.

theobcman wrote:
One question : ARN-LHR how did you manage to cross the Welsh coast ?!?

We didn't and I didn't write that anywhere :)

Kent350787 wrote:
It does look appetising, but they need to learn what a pavlova is! :)

As an Australian, I completely agree with you on that one! haha! :)

theobcman

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:17 pm

RE : crossing the Welsh coast : “We didn't and I didn't write that anywhere”

You may want to check again and re-label a picture as it’s clearly stated under a photo of a coastline (In the linked report I meant) It’s there !

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm

theobcman wrote:
You may want to check again and re-label a picture as it’s clearly stated under a photo of a coastline (In the linked report I meant) It’s there !

Ahh, I was looking on here :) Thanks for the heads up!

globetrotter94

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

ClassicLover wrote:
For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

I never really expect food on what are essentially domestic flights to be much good. When it comes to business class, things are usually a little bit better but even then it can be a world of bland small portions.

On the longer European flights on British Airways, a complete meal is served. This comprises of what is essentially four courses - a starter, main course, dessert and a cheese course. What astonishes me is that the good is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

BA779 – Stockholm Arlanda to London Heathrow (ARN-LHR)
6 May 2018
Airbus A320-200 – G-EUYA
Seat: Club Europe 1F
Departure: 15:50 Arrival: 17:30

After checking in, I headed up to the Menzies Aurora Lounge which I have reviewed previously. I was on the hunt for some of my favourite lounge foods.

Swedish meatballs, smoked salmon, potato salad, a pasta salad and the warm potato made for a delicious pre-flight plate. It was so good I had a second one and washed it all down with Lingonberry drink. Love the food in this lounge!

Eventually it was time to board and I waddled off to the aircraft and ended up being first on. This meant that I was treated to the sight of the baggage containers being loaded about a metre from my face. Once everyone was on board, we had the manual safety demonstration. The crew stated that as we had no delay between taxi and take-off, the usual six minute plus video was too long to play.

Still fairly full from stuffing my face in the lounge, I was happy to have any kind of delay in the food service. On these long European flights, British Airways serve drinks and nuts first. Recently the nuts were changed to almonds which I am quite happy about. Climbing out of Stockholm is quite lovely, especially when passing over the archipelago.

A beetroot carpaccio with goat’s cheese is the starter, which is fresh and light. I quite like beetroot as a general rule, so this is right up my alley. The dessert and cheese course come on the same tray, with the main plates being swapped out.

While the starter is fine, the real star of this show is the main course. I selected the Chicken tikka masala with saffron pilaf and gobi saag. Now I have no idea who Gobi Saag is, but I’m game for anything. Perfection in every way! I love the inclusion of the fresh chilli so you can bite and spice it up a little. Spectacularly cooked chicken in an amazing sauce and even the gobi saag – which appears to be cauliflower hiding in a green coat – was great. Really impressive all round!

Happily the fresh berry pavlova with vanilla cream was quite light for dessert. After a pause, the cheese course also went down pretty well. It is a decent amount of food for a flight just over two hours, isn’t it?

As far as I am concerned, British Airways has it right when it comes to the quality and quantity of the food on longer flights. You receive four courses of food and five if you count tea and coffee after as a course.That coupled with the fact the Champagne is real, the quality of the other drinks is good and you can get Twinings tea really make the soft product very good within Europe. Of course, shorter European flights do get somewhat less food, but no-one else gets nothing.

How does the British Airways food compare to your airline’s first class food domestically in the USA? Perhaps you’re Australian so how does it compare to the business class food down under? What about other airlines offerings within Europe? Thanks for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Remember, to see all the pictures, please click here.

"Gobi saag" just means cauliflower in spinach. Gobi=cauliflower; saag=spinach. It's an Indian dish.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
"Gobi saag" just means cauliflower in spinach. Gobi=cauliflower; saag=spinach. It's an Indian dish.

Oh, I knew it was an Indian dish - I just had no idea what it was.

Thanks for pointing that out. I like learning new things, so now I'll know for the future :)