Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Is this my final flight on a British Airways 767? Club Europe from London to Stockholm

Mon May 14, 2018 12:31 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

British Airways are retiring their Boeing 767 aircraft this year, after more than 20 years of service. There are just a few remaining in the fleet and all of them are scheduled to be gone by the end of 2018.

These aircraft feature the old European fleet seats, meaning they are convertible in the middle to make larger seats and they have a drinks tray at the end of the armrest. Widebody comfort on European flights won't be as common once these are retired.

My flight is from London Heathrow to Stockholm Arlanda, meaning the catering in business class is the full service. This means Club Europe passengers get a starter, main, dessert and a cheese plate. Let's have a look at the 767 and how good BA can be!

BA780 – London Heathrow to Stockholm Arlanda (LHR-ARN)
4 May 2018
Boeing 767-300ER – G-BNWZ
Seat: Club Europe 2B
Departure: 13:20 Arrival: 16:55

After some time in the Galleries lounge, it was time to head over to the gate to board. This proceeded swiftly and we arrived at the aircraft and turned left into Club Europe.

We were seated in the bulkhead row which I would recommend only for short people. My feet just touched the bulkhead when I stretched out and I am not tall by any means. My friend continually decided to harass me amusingly throughout the flight by making out he couldn't stretch out properly as I had moved us from row 3 to row 2.

While the aircraft is certainly old it was not uncomfortable. It features the old Club Europe seats which have the nifty little drinks tables on the ends of the armrest. Soon after boarding, hot towels were offered by the crew.

Today's flight was completely full in Club Europe. Scandinavian Airlines had a flight to Stockholm cancelled before our flight, so I suspect some of their passengers were moved to my British Airways service.

Menu's are provided on the long flights which is a nice touch. It's just a small piece of card, but it gives you all the information you need so you can order what you want. They always list all the flight numbers the menu applies to as well, which is interesting. Flipping the card over shows the bar menu which is arguably more important to some people.

After lounge food and Champagne it's always a good move to make a pre-emptive toilet visit. This is just in case there is a long taxi to the runway which is not unheard of at London Heathrow Airport. For years British Airways have used Elemis products in their aircraft but it seems these have been switched for The White Company. They are also providing the bedding on long haul services. Happily the toilet was in good condition and I was in and out in a couple of minutes.

Eventually we headed into the air and the crew started the service. Drinks and nuts were provided and as usual I chose Champagne which I alternated with water throughout the flight. Following up from the drinks was delivery of the starters. British Airways include the dessert and cheese plate with the starter, just swapping out the larger plate when it's time to move to the next course.

The salmon is refreshingly nice and drenching it in lemon adds a pleasant tang. My friend is not a fan of horseradish so I had his as well as mine which suited me perfectly. Of course, it doesn't take long to eat such a little dish. As the crew were busy serving the full cabin - at least 51 passengers in Club Europe - it took a little while for the next course to be delivered.

We nabbed a passing crew member at one point who just gave us the entire bottle of Champagne. Before you blanch at this breach of standards, it only had two glasses left in it. He correctly judged we were the types of people who would be quite okay pouring our own.

For the main meal to Stockholm, we both chose the Herb-grilled chicken supreme with thyme jus, truffled linguine and root vegetables. I tend to like eating vegetables on a flight as they're always good. What nobody ever mentions is that the quality of the British Airways food is fantastic. I invariably find the food bursting with taste and with the mains on these long flights, they don't skimp on quantity either.

Delighted with the taste of the main, I elected to try to eat it slowly to savour the flavours. Quite impressed all round! After that I had my dessert which was fine enough too, though I don't love coffee sweets. Mango chutney is now included with the cheese course which makes a huge difference. Previously there was none which meant the oat cakes tasted very dry with the cheese but now it all matches and is quite lovely. Well done to BA!

What will I miss the most about the 767 apart from its widebody cabin on European flights? The main thing for me are the drinks tables at the end of the armrest. They save so much space, especially since the tray you are given is crammed with items. It is a shame they couldn't integrate these little tables into the new seats really - a definite step backwards.

British Airways provide a world class product when it comes to the on board catering and Champagne in Club Europe on longer flights. Quality and taste of the food is faultless and the bubbles are fine for a flight. Cabin crew always provide a decent service even when run off their feet as they were on this flight. Nobody missed out on anything despite the full load which smacks of good training and experience in the crew.

Thank you for reading and remember, all the rest of the pictures are at this link. Feel free to leave any comments or questions below.

richierich

Re: Is this my final flight on a British Airways 767? Club Europe from London to Stockholm

Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm

British Airways introduced the B767 in service about 1992 or 1993...I remember flying JFK-MAN on an L-1011 in 1990 followed by a B763 on my next trip two years or so later. Both flights were good, the BA service was very good by my young eyes back then, even though both flights were from a time before seatback IFE was common. The B767 had CRT monitors in the aisles, which was modern compared to the L-1011s classic film projectors! (Nothing makes me feel older than thinking that "new" plane is already end of life, and the remaining B767s in the BA fleet were probably even later deliveries!)

The B763 has enjoyed a great BA career spanning both TATL and Club Europe routes. They are all gone from TATL service now, and only have months remaining with BA at all. Thank you for sharing this experience...the food looks amazing for a two hour flight!

aeromoe

Re: Is this my final flight on a British Airways 767? Club Europe from London to Stockholm

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm

I dunno, is it? Have you booked any further flights on a BA 767?

fbgdavidson

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 pm

As a fairly nostalgic guy I will probably miss the 767s when they leave BA although they sure are ropey...I last had one LHR-ATH a couple of summers ago and in 1D/F it was quite comfortable...was supposed to get a longhaul 767 coming back but that got subbed the day before for a shorthaul Airbus and now all those longhaul 767s are gone from BA's fleet!

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 am

aeromoe wrote:
I dunno, is it? Have you booked any further flights on a BA 767?

It probably is - I have no other flights booked on a BA 767 and can't imagine I will do.

fbgdavidson wrote:
As a fairly nostalgic guy I will probably miss the 767s when they leave BA although they sure are ropey...I last had one LHR-ATH a couple of summers ago and in 1D/F it was quite comfortable...was supposed to get a longhaul 767 coming back but that got subbed the day before for a shorthaul Airbus and now all those longhaul 767s are gone from BA's fleet!

It would have been nice to have had the long haul 767 rather than the short haul! I flew J on the long haul 767 to Toronto once, with the Club World with the "fan" divider. Certainly a world away from the seat today. I'll miss them too - it was nice having a widebody on European flights.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:03 am

richierich wrote:
British Airways introduced the B767 in service about 1992 or 1993...I remember flying JFK-MAN on an L-1011 in 1990 followed by a B763 on my next trip two years or so later. Both flights were good, the BA service was very good by my young eyes back then, even though both flights were from a time before seatback IFE was common. The B767 had CRT monitors in the aisles, which was modern compared to the L-1011s classic film projectors! (Nothing makes me feel older than thinking that "new" plane is already end of life, and the remaining B767s in the BA fleet were probably even later deliveries!)

The B763 has enjoyed a great BA career spanning both TATL and Club Europe routes. They are all gone from TATL service now, and only have months remaining with BA at all. Thank you for sharing this experience...the food looks amazing for a two hour flight!

I would have loved to have flown on board the L-1011, just to say I had done it. It's on that list of "aircraft I wish I had flown on board". I bet it was interesting going from an aircraft with a projector to one with CRT monitors!

Yes, the 763s are all due to go this year, I think November is the final flight. Glad you noticed the food - it was definitely stunning! On the longer European routes the food is very very delicious, which I really like. Makes the flight feel very special. Thanks for the comment!