Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eastafspot
Topic Author

~ Karibu tena ~ Air France | Paris – Nairobi Inaugural | B789

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:11 pm

HAMJAMBO MABIBI NA MABWANA,

At a large scale, East African residents fathom pretty quickly the Karibu tena meaning. For others maybe like you, it simply translates by welcome back! You may wonder why?

Air France had flown to Nairobi as early as 1940 to either Réunion Island (RUN) or Antananarive (TNR) both in Indian Ocean using exclusively American equipments such as DC3, B707, B747 and from 1982 on the Paris – Nairobi – Kigali – Bujumbura route, suspended in March 2000.
Excellent news to see AF sending, 18 years later, its latest toy the B789 - part of the fleet since December 2016. Traditions persist from generation to generation !

As part of the AF/KL/KQ joint venture, here are the summer frequencies on the Paris CDG – Nairobi – Paris CDG (winter timetable shows a 4th frequency for AF) :

KQ113 CDG1200 – 2105NBO 788 13567 (daily in July/August)
AF814 CDG2050 – 0600+1NBO 789 367

AF815 NBO0820 – 1550CDG 789 147
KQ112 NBO2359 – 0735+1CDG 788 24567 (daily in July/August)

Background

After nearly 4 months without flying long haul, favorable circumstances made me jump at this opportunity. The inaugural happening one week prior the Flying Blue program evolution, it was a nice way to see how my home carrier supplements my favorite airline KQ between these Skyteam hubs. I pondered a long time on burning some miles to fly J the Best & Beyond cabin, but then decided otherwise, keeping them for a gift to my mom instead.

Upgrade offer a bit pricey for overnighting, no thanks !

Integral routing in Y:

Outbound (now):
    * Montpellier (MPL) – Paris (CDG): AF7683, A319
    * Paris (CDG) – Nairobi (NBO): AF814, B789
    * Nairobi (NBO) – Kigali (KGL): KQ448, EMB90

Initial inbound:
Kigali (KGL) – Nairobi (NBO): KQ444, EM90 04/07/18
Nairobi (NBO) – Paris (CDG): KQ112, B788, 04/07/18
Paris (CDG) – Montpellier (MPL): AF7688, 05/07/18 Cancelled the 30/12/17

Future inbound journey, changed for free by AF :
    * Kigali (KGL) – Nairobi (NBO): KQ446, EM90 05/07/18
    * Nairobi (NBO) – Paris (CDG): AF815, B789, 05/07/18
    * Paris (CDG) – Montpellier (MPL): AF7686, 05/07/18

1) Montpellier airport – MPL

Getting to MPL by public transport is relatively hassle free from downtown for a minimal cost of €3,2 return for the airport shuttle only ( or €5,2 including any destination on the extensive tramway network), saving €20 fee for long term car park (7-15 days at P6/8).
Due to the Marathon de Montpellier event, threatening the already limited sunday service, I left home at 11:20 am to reach the airport via tramway and the airport shuttle at 12:15pm.

Lovely garden-like strip to chill out

As often (outside deepcore Africa), the mobile phone beeps the usual Skyteam alert to evaluate the SkyPriority process. That day I focused at the old school TR with a camera.
Check-in no time, however the barely smiling AF agent almost threw my passport back in my face (he did apologize for that though). Probably someone too impatient to go on strike!
Bewildered by his attitude, I forgot to lock down the luggage and realized that only 5 minutes later when baggage was already expedited to the handlers... Bu**er! Ohh well let's see if it will make it up to KGL unexplored...
BTW, can someone tell me if its legally possible to recall a luggage before boarding (proving that one has sufficient time to recheck-in)?

Deserted departure hall at H-2, security screening at the far left of the oversize luggage sign

MPL lacks in European connectivity apart from AF/KL group, low cost and North African carriers. LH, IB,AZ, BA and SN have all tried in the past but never lasted more than 2 years.

Terminal extension works until May 2019

Fast lane security gladly welcomed – unlike JNB or CPT, the standards of a modern airport direct you to a compulsory duty free (or not) shop before the usual kid playground, free internet, bar/coffee shop and boarding gates.

A run of the mill lounge, but better than 2 years ago !!

The relatively new lounge got inaugurated in August 2016, when Air France launched its shuttle service (nicknamed "La Navette") to/from MPL, in addition to the current BOD, MRS, NCE, LYS and TLS. It's fine for 30 minutes and strategically located in front of gates 16 &17 mostly (exclusively?) used by AF/Hop!/KL.

Therefore the stay was pleasant with cold cuts, quiches, snacks, bread rolls, softs drinks, Heineken beer, and local red/rosé wines (upon request preferably) on offer.

Showroom for a Swedish furniture retailer ??

2) MPL – CDG

A 7 second walk from the lounge gets you to gate 17.
Priority boarding scrupulously enforced by the gate agents despite the snaking line.

AF7683
Montpellier – Paris
14:25 – 15:55 (1h30)
Airbus 319
Economy

Push back and taxiing out ahead of schedule thanks to low activity

We departed in advance (which, according to Murphy's law, never happens when a tight connection follows at CDG) and from runway 12L.

Vallair’s aircraft MRO & paint Business Unit

A not so common southeastern departure from 12L

Take off roll : more Air Berlin (all belonging to Easyjet?) and Monarch birds

Étang de l'Or (Pond of gold) and city in the background

20g of Scrocchi : the usual fare across Europe nowadays !

Gare de l'Est (left) and Gare du Nord in Paris

Splendid views over the capital

Can you spot the Eiffel Tower ?

TN quad and Qatar C-17

Future successful hybrid business model ? Trendy livery imho

3) Connecting in Paris CDG

Border Police linking T2F-T2E was a breeze, no need to use the " access n°1" lane, weird no?
On the way to the renovated T2 hall L lounge, a guy on the phone called me in a language unfamiliar. Indeed this Ugandan Paris Airport employee initially talked to me in Luganda (neither kinyarwanda nor kiswahili have similarity). Ultimately we exchanged few words... in French :-) !

Innovative architecture

So far so good: no delay nor cancellation
In the past departing from Hall L would call for deceitful AF lounge

Certainly more than 450 cigarette butts, an average of 45 smokers per hour on a quiet Sunday

White&blue hair dryers to Cairo

This is for the players

4) Refurbished CDG Hall L lounge at T2E

Most frequent/premuim travellers were often apprehensive to see from which hall their Skyteam flight was departing as the former lounge could only rival with Schengen facilities at T2F. Since end of Janurary 2018, you get a nice surprise as it's modern and well designed.

Classy entryway

Reception... oh ! Hold on a minute, do see what I see ?

How cool ! Now, setting the expectations to a higher level

Reading materials

Same as Skyteam lounge @LHR; a 20 min massage here was tested at a different occasion (not prior this flight).

Opening hours

Then further into the quiet zone where can be found showers, sauna, detox bar... too

Gents

Air France shopping

Back to the main room

Spotting wise, one should defintely forgo this hobby

Brilliant feature, a chef cooks at lunch and dinner times

Obviously, I opted for the dine in before the flight strategy.

Cold buffet matching Schengen T2F lounges

Hot buffet (chicken blanquette, rice and - not visible – tortilla)

Gargantuan dinner starting here

At 7:15 pm, mouthwatering scents spread out from the open kitchen

Today's special

Senegalese chef in action

Main course in plastic pot, yummy anyway...

What about puddings ?

Could not make up my mind among all the sweet temptations ;-)

At 8pm (15 min later), an invite to proceed to the gate was made from the lounge thankfully, located at 5min walk. In between I stopped by for a last ciggy and to take some photos!

Call for boarding was announced 15min late

AF's first Dreamliner a 18 months old jewel

The gate almost empty, witty staff cracked jokes and showed a joyful mood!

Among the last to step inside

A wee surprise awaits...

Genius idea, I like it very much

No foreign newspaper or perhaps already gone.

BA working for AF :)

Warm greeting at door 2L by 2 PNC and 1 PNT, wow merci beaucoup !

5) CDG – NBO

Sunday, the 25th of March 2018
~ Air France AF814 Inaugural ~
Paris CDG – Nairobi JKIA
20:50 – 06:00 (8h10)
Boeing 789 / F-HRBA
Economy

First time onboard a 789, glad it happened with AF.
Visually, the Y cabin showed a 85% load factor. My 2 seatmates were Dutch holidaying in Tanzania.

Attractive Premium Economy cabin with white and red curtains (Btw, my one and only flight in Y+ occured during an opup on JNB – CDG two years ago)

First Economy cabin section

« Horrible » pitch of 31'' at my designated seat :)

Amenity kit, pillow and blanket placed on every seat

Seat pocket contents (March version of AF magazine)

10 min before push back, 2 cute cabin crew holding a tablet stopped at my row. They greeted and invited me to move out at an emergency exit seat further upfront. ( €50 for anyone, €25 for FB Gold or free for Platinum member).

One of the hostesses seeing my camera already mounted on the window mentioned that it would an aisle seat though, thus I declined. then I politely asked if she could reserve the seat for after taking off in what she kindly agreed! WOW thoughtful gesture, many thanks.

Safety demo

Seat mates were Dutch and helped me to switch off the screen before taking off (for the video) !

Once doors closed, front office crew came into the blower to mention the special flight and the basic infos.

=> Take off video of AF814 inaugural from Paris Roissy CDG to Nairobi:
https://youtu.be/EaAtPIGBs-8

Above 14K feet, wet towel and menu were distributed

The new seat was definitely appreciated despite minor drawbacks:
1/ no window at all
2/ near the lavatory
3/ hard to put the legs straight due to numerous crew/pax movements

Finally, service wise, row 30 got basically all drinks and meals last but got cleared away first which was bothersome and full of non sense!
Despite a significant comfort, I'm not tall enough (175cm), thus I will pay extra for these seats when pigs will fly...

New environment closer to the loo (Wifi onboard available)

Providing a grand pitch though. Crew kept this seat vacant for myself ! Small detail much appreciated :thumbsup:

Decent recline with adjustable headrest

For the sake of this TR, meals were accepted and tasted average. Breakfast can be compared to what KQ serve on LHR, AMS routes.

Not exclusively for inaugurals, AF serves complimentary real champagne for apéritif in Economy

…. along with 17g of snack bag

For sure, you won't starve here ! ( Morello cherry clafoutis tart should have been bigger :wink2: )

Red quinoa salad with vegetables

Chicken Florentine, crushed potatoes – other option : Penne pasta with Neapolitan sauce

Straight 2 Cognac liquors afterwards

I recently purchased the SONY WH-1000Xm2 wireless noise cancelling headphones and was really earger to try them out in real conditions. I settled for "Nova Mix" (not as good as RadioFG) and some Caribbean hits "Tropical Love" on AF's fabulous music library Sound is truly amazing and one can't hear the noisy engines, also the touch/swipe control is convenient... very impressed! I recommend them to anyone .

So I do apologize for not trying AF set, which from a previous DXB-CDG, proved to be not too bad!

An hilarious old series about couple's daily routine before crashing out

2h30 prior landing, I toured the cabin with an end at the so-called buffet at the rear galley looking for an orange juice. 2 crews took care of my request in no time but also suggested promptly after the dessert trio plate served in business class. Only one of this delights was accepted to please them as it was more an excuse to do some excercises – still being full from the eve feast, once again what a commendable attitude!

Cabin 90 min prior touching down

The usual moderate turbulence near ADD

Panasonic EX3 ife perfoming in high resolution

90 min before arriving, a breakfast tray almost identical to KQ got taken in photo only – for comparison purpose of this TR. Sorry for the food wastage :-( .

AF814 breakfast, for the sake of reporting, as the Pride Lounge in NBO or Kenya Airways regional flights fulfill your stomach perfectly afterwards !!!

Another inaugural gesture? Never seen these delicious toffees before

Back to the window seat, anticipating a customary great show !

Once the protocol to land completed, one of the gorgeous crew looking after my row came again to deliver a much needed poster of this special flight.

=> Landing video of AF814 inaugural at Nairobi – JKIA, from Paris CDG :
https://youtu.be/WuWMCZlQFIU

Announcement of a water canon salute from the flight deck (check the videos) which was unexpected but promising...
However, due to humidity, window condensation spoiled the show and hindered seeing the fire brigade plus the spray. C'est la vie!

=> The literally BIG shower, water canon salute at Nairobi of Air France AF814 from Paris CDG :
https://youtu.be/azDYvYWkxtU

The « official passenger version » of AF814 water canon salute :silly: at 6 am on Sunday the 25th of March 2018. (probably F-HRBA's third shower after Paris & Milan)

"Shower of affection" © by Cash Mandi

"Air France is back in Kenya after 18 year hiatus" © by James WAMATHAI / Hapakenya.com

"French and Kenyan flags floating high" © by Cash Mandi

I bade adieu to the friendly team and thanked them for this memorable experience. Looking forward to the July trip with Air France.

Let me entirely dedicate this TR to"AF814 inaugural praiseworthy flight crew " © by Bankelele.co.ke

6) Connecting in Nairobi - Jkia

As a partner, Air France 789 docked at recent T2A which is convenient when having a KQ flight after.
A sort of ceremony was held, inside the terminal at gate 14. Rest assure, you can follow the media coverage of the event on these nice videos:

NTV:
https://youtu.be/VQqOn4sUk9c

KTN : (starting at 13 :40)
https://youtu.be/kIEFw23ZACA

Good bye BA, uh no AF

Welcoming committee

Journalists ( incl. KTN & NTV television) and executives

No buffet for deplaning passengers, pity :-(

Cordoned off area reserved to media and executives at the present time (if someone flew AF815 and was granted access to it, let me know)

Yours truly ( a tad tired...)

Coincidence or not ? Kenya Airways' first B788 next to AF's one

A shower was needed thus I made my way to the Pride Lounge near gate 17. Unfortunately the long waiting list prevented from arriving clean/fresh in Rwanda. Feel free to check out Pride & Simba lounges reviews here.

The chariot to Rwanda's capital

7) NBO – KGL

KQ448
Nairobi – Kigali
07:50 – 08:20 (01h30)
Embraer 190
Economy

Unusual suspect : first glimpses of AF's B789 at NBO (notice the CZ A330 behind)

Sh*t weather not conducive to a great celebration.

Hot breakfast meal for a 1h30 flight – Great job KQ !

A friend of mine picking me up at the airport was deeply concerned about the luggage fate (put the on hold). Auspiciously, goods and stuffs were all there, so no thieves at MPL, CDG, NBO and Kigali . Happy days.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Inaugural flights always represent special moments made to bring fond memories. This one was no exception.

Paris CDG:
Painless on a Sunday at that time between T2F to T2E hall L.
Lounge: Brand new lounge upping AF's game, at the same level of others Hall (K&M)

Air France: 16/20

Schedule: departed and arrived on time, evening timing most appreciated 4/5
Comfort: seat a bit tight despite being not so tall, Ife full of great & recent stuffs 3/5
Catering: Average, but only 2 choices for the main – nice to get a printed menu 3/5
Crew: absolutely lovely (except at check-in in MPL) some nice attentions throughout the flight 5/5

Obviously, a Kenyan themed AF magazine in April...

….BOOH, no Nairobi yet in your network after that amazing flight :tongue2: !

Now, what if you have to pick either AF or KQ?

1) Schedule: draw
CDG – NBO leg: AF
NBO – CDG leg: KQ

2) Comfort: AF
AF does provide 3 class of travel. If you can afford, new improved premium cabins upfront.
However, a good point to remember is that KQ does not charge *AT ALL* emergency exit seats. So anyone can claim them during airport check in whether having a Platinum Ultimate status or being an absolute first time traveller.

3) Catering (out of their bases): KQ
Surely with AF you can upgrade your menu with some "à la carte" options, also a printed menu is handed over to you, however, KQ still suggests you 3 choices, one meat one fish and one veggie, everytime – free of charge...

4) Crew: KQ
On that peculiar flight, AF crew were excellent all night long. They did the extra mile and one could see their pride to work for this institution. On other long haul experiences they were just good or ok.
On the other side, KQ staff members, a bit laid back though, have always show interest to the customer and never forget any request, even a mere cup of tea...

Overall, my preference goes to Kenya Airways, but surely it's a biased opinion. A normal trip awaits in July thus in the meantime feel free to post your honest reviews being or not in Africa about these two great airlines!

Thanks for reading, comments and corrections always appreciated

BONUS: RwandAir flight Kigali to Bujumbura

Anyone right in her/his mind would never fork out EUR 300 one way/ EUR 420 return in J; for a trivial 40min hop between Kigali and Bujumbura where you clearly spend more time at airports than in the air.

Basically, this one way flight is the continuation/end of a London to Kigali trip done with RwandAir's modern A330 in J last October. You can (re)discover WB top notch product here.

Even though RwandAir has yet to accept Amex card, initial ticket and for this flight, measly change fee of GBP20, were paid with this card with a call at their LGW office.

RwandAir premium lounge at KGL is completed and seems fitted with nice local furnitures but so far no date of opening has been announced and clients are still using basic Pearl Lounge. A matter of months...

We were bussed to the regional aircraft at a remote stand, 2 pax in J and completely crammed in Y with many NGO workers and, to my surprise, Arabs.

WB482
Kigali – Bujumbura
16:00 – 16:45 (00h45)
Dash 8-Q400
Business

First steps inside WB's Dash8 Q400 Next Gen

Seat pocket contents

Feeling proud of myself, since I have scored all types and subtypes ….

Generous legroom in a genuine business class

Cabin of 7 seats, by plain curiosity which other airlines in the world do offer that ?

PDB with Moët & Chandon bubbles

=> Rare take off video of RwandAir Dash8-Q400 from Kigali to Bujumbura :
https://youtu.be/0kaawvMdgHs

Heading off to the south, KGL visible

Unlike KQ/ET having 5th freedom rights, a round of snack and drink on this 40 min hop to Bujumbura – Burundi (in eco WB passengers get it on the ground prior taking off)

Air Burundi extensive fleet : Beechcraft, Xian MA60 and a mouldy ex-AF Caravelle – hope these birds will touch the sky some time in the near future.

RwandAir Dash8 – Q400 with former slogan, at Bujumbura airport

That's it for now folks, tickets for Kenya Airways inaugural to New York – USA, the 28th of October are booked, let's see if you are still around...

Till then, safe and happy flying :wave:

EastAfSpot / Léonard

debonair

Re: ~ Karibu tena ~ Air France | Paris – Nairobi Inaugural | B789

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Nice TR, well done as always!

BTW, can someone tell me if its legally possible to recall a luggage before boarding (proving that one has sufficient time to recheck-in)?

At least in HAM airport it is no problem at all, however some airlines charge a fee for the search...

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 pm

debonair wrote:
Nice TR, well done as always!

Thank you Chris for reading and being, more than ever, the first to comment TRs :thumbsup:

debonair wrote:

At least in HAM airport it is no problem at all, however some airlines charge a fee for the search...

Initially, I thought it would be impossible/ a stupid question to ask! Many thanks for your expert insight as often!
Do you know if the fee is fixed? i.e. per luggage or booking reference (=several travellers/luggages)? not hoping to require this service in the future though...

ubeema

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 am

Awesome TR. Highly detailed and well narrated. Photos are crystal clear and perfectly aimed.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:53 am

ubeema wrote:
Awesome TR. Highly detailed and well narrated. Photos are crystal clear and perfectly aimed.

Glad you enjoyed Ubeema, your recent fascinating TR about AF to/from Congo/Gabon was a great source of informations/inspiration!
Thank you very much for taking time to post something different :smile:

debonair

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am

eastafspot wrote:
Do you know if the fee is fixed? i.e. per luggage or booking reference (=several travellers/luggages)? not hoping to require this service in the future though...

We have this problem 10 to 20 times a day... HAM is a small airport with "just" 17Million Pax per year, I don't know if it is possible at Mega Hubs like CDG,LHR or ATL. Don't nail me, but I think IranAir e.g. charges 20€ per piece of luggage.

brucetiki

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 am

Loved this TR. I liked how you pointed out things that weren't perfect without deteriorating into a 'Something didn't go right. The flight was bad as a result', with a good mix of the good things and the not-so-good things on the flight.

Look forward to reading about the return flights later in the year.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:26 pm

debonair wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

We have this problem 10 to 20 times a day... HAM is a small airport with "just" 17Million Pax per year, I don't know if it is possible at Mega Hubs like CDG,LHR or ATL. Don't nail me, but I think IranAir e.g. charges 20€ per piece of luggage.

Heck that's a lot even for HAM !!!
What are the most common causes ? I guess that absent minded pax plays a huge part...
Would it be the same case if a transit passenger goes landside and asks the airline desk/check in to collect his stuffs instead of normally continuing his journey to the destination (with the known effect of voiding the rest of the ticket of course)?

brucetiki wrote:
Loved this TR. I liked how you pointed out things that weren't perfect without deteriorating into a 'Something didn't go right. The flight was bad as a result', with a good mix of the good things and the not-so-good things on the flight.

Look forward to reading about the return flights later in the year.

You are welcome and thank you brucetiki for such kind words.
As you know, perfection doesn't exist. :wink2:
The most difficult part is how to stay neutral without looking like a fanboy or hater.
Will take a look at your first two TRs shortly.

KLDC10

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Nice report. Looks like Air France offer a good service, though the surly welcome you received at the airport was unfortunate. The inclusion of Champagne in the Economy service is certainly the highlight of any Air France flight, and I really do think that their 787-9 is the best looking out there. There's just something about the simplicity of the livery, combined with the red and blue and those large titles - simply beautiful.

Looks like the Rwandair fleet page has mixed up the Boeing 737-700 and -800 by the way!

eastafspot
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Nice report. Looks like Air France offer a good service, though the surly welcome you received at the airport was unfortunate. The inclusion of Champagne in the Economy service is certainly the highlight of any Air France flight, and I really do think that their 787-9 is the best looking out there. There's just something about the simplicity of the livery, combined with the red and blue and those large titles - simply beautiful.

Looks like the Rwandair fleet page has mixed up the Boeing 737-700 and -800 by the way!

Many thanks KLDC10 for taking time to read and comment accurately!
At the airport, I don't think it was made intentionally nor agent was angry - he probably have had a bad day and it could be seen on his face/attitude - not a big deal, maybe he should have got some rest/days off instead.
Yes agree, with all these cost cutting measures in the airline industry, surprisingly AF keeps this highly valued beverage whereas with some other airlines you are served a bland sparkling wine in business class! For sure I will fly them again.
Glad you noticed this too, indeed titles are bigger on B789, I'm curious to learn why, also red swoosh-like strip after "Air France" is plain and not faded anymore!
Spot on for WB's magazine mistake, - 800 looks a bit short :lol:

F27500

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:22 am

Fantastic report. Yours are always amazing. Love the pics and all the detail you provide. I know its a lot of work putting one of these together and when such an interesting trip, route & set of carriers and aircraft come along, its a must-read.

Great job and please keep them coming ! You never disappoint!

PPVLC

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:47 am

Great report, thank you!

eastafspot
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:38 pm

F27500 wrote:
Fantastic report. Yours are always amazing. Love the pics and all the detail you provide. I know its a lot of work putting one of these together and when such an interesting trip, route & set of carriers and aircraft come along, its a must-read.

Great job and please keep them coming ! You never disappoint!

Thank you so much for the heartwarming reply F27500.
Indeed it's a time consuming task to write a TR, that's why when a comment like yours follows, it is worth to make every effort to please the ever demanding A.net audience! :angel:

PPVLC wrote:
Great report, thank you!

Glad you read and enjoyed PPVLC and thanks for dropping a comment! :smile: