brucetiki
Topic Author

Commonwealth Games Part 1 - ADL-BNE on a QantasLink Boeing 717-200

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:16 am

Hi folks and welcome to my very first trip report on Airliners.net - I come in peace :D

As this is my first TR, I'm more than happy to accept feedback to ensure that future TR's can be enhanced and improved upon.

With the Gold Coast hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Games, I decided to go up and check out the games, ultimately settling for a 6 day trip. Next step, lets look at flights. ADL-OOL flights aren't overly frequent, and can get a tad pricey as you often have to connect via MEL or SYD. So I looked at ADL-BNE, and Qantas not only had some decent fares, but also a choice of aircraft type in either the Boeing 737-800 or 717-200. With the 717-200 on offer, I picked it for the flight up. The flight back was a dinner service, so was happy to fly the 737-800 for a nice meal to finish the trip. So my flights were booked, as below:

04 APR 18 ADL-BNE - QF1592 (operated under the QantasLink banner) - Boeing 717-200
10 APR 18 BNE-ADL - QF665 - Boeing 737-800

Both flights were to be in Economy Class. This trip report will focus purely on the outbound flight, with part 2 for the return flight to come soon. Plus, if you'd like, I'll throw in some pics from the Commonwealth Games.

As they were booked many, many months in advance, a few changes were made by both Qantas and myself. First, QF665 got brought forward by an hour, departing at 6:10pm instead of 7:00pm. No biggie, still a dinner service, just get to be home an hour earlier. Second, Qantas dropped QF1592 from the schedule, so I was moved to QF1594, leaving at 12:00pm instead of 9:00am. First thing I did was check the aircraft type, yep still a 717. I'm happy with that. At the time, I hadn't been able to secure a ticket to the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony (missed out in the ballot, and couldn't get any in subsequent releases), so the loss of 3 hours of the trip wasn't a major concern...for now. I did eventually score tickets to the Opening Ceremony, meaning I had a 4 hour turnaround to get from BNE to the Gold Coast via the hotel. Easy, right.

The next change was made by me. I had been slowly been building up some Qantas Frequent Flyer points, mainly by converting Woolworths Reward point to QFF points. I had a curious look at how many points it would take to upgrade one of my flights from Economy to Business, and it was a reasonable 17,500 points for the 2.5 hour flight. I was just short at the December Woolworths-QFF transfer, but was pretty confident I'd pick up enough points by the March transfer - and an offer for bonus points per bottle of Coke No Sugar offer from Woolworths saw a bulk buy of Coke No Sugar to rack up enough Woolies points to convert to QFF points. Had no issue in buying the Coke No Sugar as I'll drink it at home, just meant I had a nice supply for a couple of months. The March transfer came across, I had enough to upgrade one flight to business. I opted for the return flight as ADL doesn't have a Qantas Business Lounge, and ADL's Qantas club looks out onto the landside part of the airport, and no views of the taxiway. So I made the upgrade. While the upgrade said I didn't have checked luggage, I verified with Qantas that this was just a typo and I did have luggage included (besides, Qantas doesn't have no checked baggage option, that's the domain for their LCC offshoot Jetstar).

So the final wash up saw my flights as below

04 APR 18 ADL-BNE - QF1594 (operated by QantasLink) - Boeing 717-200 Economy Class (exit row)
10 APR18 BNE-ADL - QF665 - Boeing 737-800 Business Class

So I was set. I checked in for the flight via my app, and opted for an exit row seat. Once I was dropped off at the airport, I made my way up to Level 2 to drop my bag off. ADL is a single terminal for both domestic and international flights. Virgin Australia occupies the northern end of the terminal (and check in desks), international occupies the middle gates (which are swing gates), and Qantas occupies the southern end of the terminal (and check in desks). Everyone else fits in around this set up.

Qantas check in. Despite the terminal opening in late 2005/early 2006, the Qantas logo from the 1980's-early 2000's is still displayed at their check-in.

After going through security, it was time to have a wander around airside. Photos of security - don't be silly, but I will give you the plaque...of the official opening of the airport by little Johnny back in 2005.

My flight was departing from gate 19, which is one of the swing gates in the middle of the terminal (literally - I could've walked straight ahead from security to the gate), but I don't go to airport to sit in the gate lounge flicking a magazine like Camilla at an Opening Ceremony. Let's go exploring.

Airside, looking towards the International Departures gate and Virgin end of the building

Adelaide Airport signage

No invite into the Qantas Club today, which is good for you guys as you get a few more pics of the terminal

QF 737-800 to ASP

Adelaide's travellators, helpful for getting to the Tiger/Jetstar/regional gates at the extreme ends of the terminal, plus a little bit of motivation from the airport.

2 Jetstar A320's, off to AVV and SYD

Gate 19

Gate 19 screen

Couple of QantasLink Q300's and an Alliance F50

NZ Boeing 787 coming in for AKL

Gate 18 swung into international mode for the NZ flight

Cobham jet BAe146

QantasLink (operated by Cobham) pulling in from BNE, ready to take me to BNE

QF 717-200 up against NZ's 787

Business class seats on the QF 717-200

QF 717-200 Economy Class

QF 717-200 Economy seat back. It had both the top pocket you often see on LCC's as well as the conventional bottom seatback pocket. There's also the strap for your tablet. Yep, we have QStreaming for this flight.

NZ pushback

Once we had the exit row safety briefing, it was time for our pushback. During the taxi, we had the safety demonstration. As there are no screens on this Boeing 717, it was the pre-recorded with the cabin crew demonstrating the usual procedures.

Taxiing out. ADL isn't the most photogenic spot for taxi, unless you want a sea of 737-800's and A320's

And we are off. Once the seatbelt sign is off it's time to have a look at the seat pocket contents

Qantas magazine

Spirit - the QantasLink magazine. You get both magazines on Qantas Link and just the Qantas magazine on mainline Qantas flights.

Safety card

And lastly the airsick bag. For the in-flight entertainment, it was straight to Ready for Takeoff, may as well watch the branded content on the flight lol. Unfortunately Q Streaming doesn't have a flight map, which I feel is a major oversight on what is otherwise a great service.

Emergency exit door

Quick pit stop to check out the one toilet at the back of the plane for economy passengers.

View from the back of the plane

Seatbelt/no smoking sign on the Boeing 717. With it's historical links back to being a rebadged MD-95, they look slightly different to your usual Boeing signage.

Another MD legacy? the slightly different row numbers compared to other Boeing aircraft

View heading up towards Brisbane

Overwing view

About halfway through the flight, lunch was served. We had the choice of a chicken and cheese sandwich or beef and mushroom pie. I took the pie and Coke, while enjoying it over some more Ready for Takeoff. Somewhat interesting this was an episode featuring the Wallabies given how close Qantas came to dumping their sponsorship of the Wallabies this week.

Qantas' domestic network, inclusive of Jetstar and Airnorth

Coming in to land at BNE. The seatbelt sign was immediately followed by an automated message for people to return to their seats and fastened their seatbelts, with the robotic American accent. One of the cabin crew then reiterated the message, or as I put it, provided the Australian translation hehe.

Landed safely at Gate 25, Qantas' last gate before the common user section of the terminal. Overlooking gate 24 here, which is the gate my return flight departed from.

Arrived in Brisbane

Heading out to baggage pickup. Unfortunately I missed the carousel photo as my focus by now was get to the hotel, and get to Carrara!

Outside the Qantas terminal, with a mix of Qantas branding

Heading towards the Airtrain to Brisbane. The Airport line often continues on as the Gold Coast line so BNE is also a great gateway to the Gold Coast. Airtrain offer tickets to the Gold Coast, including transfers onto the G:Link tram service to ensure you get as close as your accommodation as possible using the public transport network. If you want to head to the Sunshine Coast, a transfer at Eagle Junction will get you up there too

Airtrain platform

One of Brisbane's controversial NGR's to take me into Brisbane. Brand new and very comfortable, the on-board toilets have been deemed in breach of disability laws as they are technically not disabled accessible.

Inside the NGR. The Longitudal seating comes in handy with luggage.

Emirates A380 at BNE Internatonal

Eva Air parked at BNE International

Roma St Station, ready to head to the hotel.

And that's my first trip report. Hope you enjoyed it. I'll have the return flight up shortly, and maybe some pics from the games if enough people want them :)

Ryan h

Re: Commonwealth Games Part 1 - ADL-BNE on a QantasLink Boeing 717-200

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 pm

A nice report on the Qantaslink 717.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

jaybird

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 am

Very nice! Love all the pix and descriptions. My new boss is from ADL too so that was a bonus that you originated there! Thanks!

VapourTrails

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:51 am

Hello!

Thank you - I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Not just because I could relate to it as I've flown 717-200, not on that route though - but that your writing style is lively and has a good dose of humour in it as well! e.g. the part about Camilla - LOL yes, - and the sign above the travelator.. thanks for capturing this! I love it! Sometimes it is those little things you come across..

You give me an idea of what ADL is like and what to expect. I've only done an international transit so have not spent any real time there looking around. CBR, my local, has that swing gate system as well.

I like the comfortable seats on the 717, but the seat pitch can be a bit tight sometimes I have found.

Looking forward to Part 2!

:bouncy:

igtrader88

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 am

Great first TR! Thank you, look forward to part 2 and some pics from the games!

ClassicLover

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Excellent trip report - I really like the QantasLink Boeing 717. It's a nice aircraft to fly on!

Looking forward to your next one... I'm interested to see what you had for dinner in business class on Qantas, not to mention the really nice business lounge in BNE!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!