Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

triley1057
Topic Author

SIN-PER on a QF 738 in Economy

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:07 pm

On an extended trip to Southeast Asia and Western Australia, we were on the lookout for reasonable flights between Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to Perth. There were quite a few options to choose from: Full Service (Singapore or Qantas) or LCCs (Jetstar or Air Asia). In the end, I redeemed some American AAdvantage miles for the nonstop Qantas flight from Singapore to Perth.

To see the report with all the pictures, please visit: http://milesawayblog.com/flying-qantas-from-singapore-to-perth/

We left our hotel in the middle of a huge rainstorm and made our way by train to Singapore’s Changi Airport. Changi Airport remains one of our all-time favorite airports and after a quick check in at the Qantas kiosks, we had some time to spare.

We wandered around the terminal and ended up at the rooftop Cactus Garden. We enjoyed a Tiger beer and watched the various planes on the apron. There were several Qantas departures to Australia this evening. Ours was the only narrowbody!

It was finally time for boarding and we made our way to the gate and went through security which takes place at the gate in Singapore.

The Flight

Our flight this evening was on a Qantas 737-800. The flight departed Singapore at 7:00 PM and arrived Perth at 12:30 AM the next morning meaning 5 and a half hours on a narrowbody plane.

We boarded through the jetway and were greeted by name after the purser checked our boarding passes. We headed to the back of the cabin to our assigned seats. The cabin was very clean with black seats and nice mood lighting.

We sat down and instantly noticed how cramped it was. Not much legroom at all! We somehow got used to the tight quarters and this was in fact the only negative of our flight. There were water bottles in the seat back pocket, which were a nice touch. Pillows and blankets were also provided on every seat.

It was a full flight tonight and once boarding was complete, we pushed back and taxied to the runway. We took off into the early evening skies and settled in for our medium haul flight to Perth.

Service was promptly started once we reached cruising altitude. Sitting in economy, we were pleasantly surprised when the cabin crew walked down the aisle handing out menus. This is quite rare for economy class! The choices for tonight were a teriyaki and soba noodle salad, a green bean curry, and a braised fish.

We both chose the teriyaki chicken and of course some Australian Shiraz to go along with it! The meal was tasty! Not too heavy and pretty flavorful. The flight attendants came around multiple times offering refills on drinks.

The flight passed relatively quickly and we passed the time exploring Qantas’ inflight entertainment system. There were some good documentaries and movies on offer. With the nice mood lighting in the cabin and seat back screens loaded with entertainment, it was a very relaxing flight. Before landing, we were served a delicious mango ice cream bar.

We started our descent and soon enough the lights of Western Australia were visible. We landed on time and made our way to the gate where we parked next to a Singapore Airlines A330 that had arrived not long before us.

Thoughts on Qantas

This was our first time on Qantas and we would not hesitate to use them again even though the legroom wasn't the best. Singapore Airlines uses widebody planes on the same route, which of course are a bit roomier.

We still had an excellent flight. The cabin crew were friendly and provided good service. The inflight entertainment was good and the food was great too! We hope to try out more Qantas flights in the future!

To see the report with all the pictures, please visit: http://milesawayblog.com/flying-qantas-from-singapore-to-perth/

RetroRoo

Re: SIN-PER on a QF 738 in Economy

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Food looks great! QF's use of a single plate rather than a tray to serve meals is a little controversial, but I kinda love it. Glad you had a good flight and I hope you enjoy your time in Australia!

triley1057
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

RetroRoo wrote:
Food looks great! QF's use of a single plate rather than a tray to serve meals is a little controversial, but I kinda love it. Glad you had a good flight and I hope you enjoy your time in Australia!

Thanks! We really enjoyed our time in Australia and can't wait to return.

I didn't know that QF served meals on a single plate. I just assumed it was because we weren't on a longhaul flight.

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:31 pm

triley1057 wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:

I didn't know that QF served meals on a single plate. I just assumed it was because we weren't on a longhaul flight.

All Qantas international economy catering is the same, single plate and a bread roll which you try and find somewhere to place that isn’t the tray table! Controversial, but Qantas claim that the main meal is 50% larger than a standard economy meal and that customer prefer that to a tiny main and a side salad.

triley1057
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:37 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
triley1057 wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:

All Qantas international economy catering is the same, single plate and a bread roll which you try and find somewhere to place that isn’t the tray table! Controversial, but Qantas claim that the main meal is 50% larger than a standard economy meal and that customer prefer that to a tiny main and a side salad.

Very interesting... In hindsight I do suppose the main meal was somewhat larger than your typical economy meal. We were impressed that they offered a menu!