Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Robisintheair
Topic Author

My first London City Airport Landing - British Airways E-170 :D

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Actually, this tripreport should be about the Privatjet Company Surfair flying me to London City in a small Embraer Phaenom. Unfortunately, they had to cancel the flight due to crew availability. Instead, I won a flight with the older but also very handsome sister, an Embraer E-170, from BA CityFlyer. Surfair had immediately rebooked me for this connection within a few minutes.

I went from Munich by train to Zurich. After a relaxed night at Hilton Zurich Airport, the shuttle took me to the airport. Since the bankruptcy of Airberlin my platinum status has lost its validity. Actually. Because I was able to deposit my old AB number in the booking and so surprisingly use the Aspire Lounge in Dock E.

The Aspire Lounge Zurich Dock E

The lounge is quite modern and offers for breakfast scrambled eggs, wiener sausage, steamed vegetables, cheese and various breads. At the entrance you get a WiFi code. The beverage selection makes a good impression, but the best here is the terrace! Unfortunately closed today, you have an excellent view of the apron and take off planes. This seems to be a nice place during summer.

My Flight with CityFlyer

The display shows "Go to Gate" and I moved. As I arrived, my plane taxies into parking position. With about ten minutes delay the first passengers boarding the aircraft. Priority boarding is only available for families with children. On almost every bag hangs a status card, so you can save the Prio Boarding also :-). My seat is 15D at the window and I feel like sitting in a old chair. The seats are very comfortable and have enough space only the seat pocket disturbs a little.

Plane: Embraer E-170
First Flight: 18.09.2009
Seat: 15D

We are leaving Zurich airport in western direction and climb briskly. After breaking through the clouds, I saw the Alps on the left. When we reached the cruising altitude, service begins. That's right, British Airways, more precisely City Flyer, offers a service on all its flights. I choosed a coffee, water and a biscuit.

With the introduction of the descent, the most exciting part is yet to come. The Landing in London City. The weather is not very good. It is raining heavily and its overcast. In the midst of the dense clouds, the flaps and the landing gear extended, only a few feet to the ground. At some point the Thames blinks out and the houses are getting closer and closer. Despite a steep approach, the landing is smooth. We leave the runway and park in the middle of the row.

I get out of the plane and walked to the terminal. I continue to walk directly to the passport control, then got my new boarding pass and get back to security. Because we continue with the "dinosaur" to Dublin. But this is another story. ;)

Bottom Line

The flight with BA City Flyer, really surprised me. I did not think that a franchisee could deliver a better service than the "mother". The seats were comfortable and the service friendly. I've heard from a friend that the airline even serves a full breakfast on the morning flight. So, if you want to fly to London City, try BA CityFlyer.

Do you remember your first London City Landing?

:white: For more pictures, I would really appreciate it, to follow the link to my Blog: https://goo.gl/JdHm8Y

senatorflyer

Re: My first London City Airport Landing - British Airways E-170 :D

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

BA CityFlyer is not a franchise but a subsidiary of BA. The reason why they still offering free food and drinks is that they haven’t solved the logistical issues with BoB at LCY.