Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N776AU
Topic Author

My Usual ATL-IAD-ATL on Southwest (Pics)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Y’all ready for some procrastination again? This trip was December 27-31, 2017. It’s now March. I suppose this has had time to age or something. I’ve become quite a regular on the ATL-IAD route. My grandparents are getting older and can’t really travel, so we try to see them as much as we can. If we fly it makes my parents’ lives far less stressful, because when you fly with me, all you have to do is show up and follow me.

Flying up was an early start. Once I got them and their luggage loaded in my car it was off to ATL a bit before 5:00 am.

Like I said before, just follow me. Since I have TSA Precheck, everyone being on my reservation got them the same treatment. That makes everything easy. Once through it was off the concourse C and gate 15. Flying us up today was N8525S, a nearly brand new 737-800. It arrived from TPA at about 7:00 before reloading for IAD.

Southwest Airlines Flight 3331
ATL-IAD
Depart ATL – 8:09 am (was actually 8:39)
Arrive IAD – 9:40 am (was actually 10:01)
Boeing 737-800
N8525S

It wasn’t exactly the prettiest day for flying. We were delayed 30 minutes apparently because of some missing bags. Fun stuff. If I had to be stuck waiting on one aircraft in Southwest’s fleet I’d choose one with the new interior. It’s head and shoulders above the old ones for sure.
While we were waiting they reversed the airport, so we taxied for runway 27R
I’m guessing this 777 was going to Seoul, but I guess it could have been to Los Angeles too. It was a bit too early for the Tokyo flight.
A330, probably to Honolulu
https://youtu.be/jfsI47bvrRQ
There’s a video of takeoff. Decent views until we got in to the clouds.
And then we were in clouds for a while.
Then things brightened up
I wish I could have accessed Flight Radar 24. We flew right across someone else’s contrail. I can only assume they weren’t far ahead of us.
Hey, food! That’s what champions eat for breakfast right there.
About 9:30 we started coming down.
Oh look, more clouds.
It was a little better once we broke through. I didn’t really know where we were though, even though I’ve landed at Dulles a bunch.
https://youtu.be/LG9TqeDr8bs
Landing on runway 1C
We pulled it in at gate B50. Not much happening over at B at the moment, just a JetBlue E190 and Delta CRJ-200.
From there it was getting luggage, a rental car, and heading over to Winchester.
While we were there we did visit the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. Pretty cool.
Also it snowed a lot. That was cool since I never get to see it. Also my cousin and I may have done some donuts in it.

Then it was time to go home after several days of visiting. New Year’s Eve we dropped the car off just before 3:00pm. Today was another quick flight home on another 737-800, barely a year old. Tonight was on N8513F. It was coming in from Denver. I could tell the winds were strong aloft because it arrived not just early, but really early (and it would show in our flight too).

Southwest Airlines Flight 3936
IAD-ATL
Depart IAD – 5:00 pm (was actually 4:57, then pushed back)
Arrive ATL – 7:00 pm (was actually 7:02)
Boeing 737-800
N8513F

Quiet again on A and B. Across the way there were plenty of United heavies going to Europe.
This was a first for me. Before we pushed back we were deiced. Of course living in Atlanta it’s rarely cold or wet enough for this. It was snowing a good bit earlier in the afternoon, but it hadn’t for a while, and not since our plane landed. Better safe than sorry, though.
We pushed at 4:57 and headed to runway 30, but then pulled off to the side. Before we were told anything I already knew what was happening. We were waiting for slotting in Atlanta, which took almost 30 minutes.
After taking off and taking the almost-immediate hard left we were on the way to 38,000 feet. I could tell the winds were strong again because our ground speed was under 400 mph, and stayed that way almost the whole flight.
Last bits of the setting sun in 2017. Of course, being dark there wasn’t much to see. I had my iPad and was watching the Georgia basketball game on ESPN.
Not many breaks in the clouds, but here’s some part of Metro Atlanta glowing in the night. We took the familiar approach to runway 27L and I to gate C15, right back where the trip started.

Good flights. I do enjoy Southwest’s new 737-800s. Given how spendy (“spendy” is a word now. I’m saying so) flying Delta has gotten, I’d say there’s a good chance I’ll have some more rides on them in the future.

Thanks for reading :wave:

bgboiflyer

Re: My Usual ATL-IAD-ATL on Southwest (Pics)

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:01 am

Have yet to fly WN but cool cool

lychemsa

Re: My Usual ATL-IAD-ATL on Southwest (Pics)

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Toilets are so small I could hardly turn. However at least they still give 32" legroom. That's why they are my second choice over JetBlue.