Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Winter Break 2016/17 (9): The Final Hop Home (AA Eagle ERJ-145, ORD-FAR, Jan '17, Y)

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

American Eagle (obpy Envoy Air) AA3790
Chicago O'Hare Intl (ORD/KORD) [Illinois] to Fargo Hector Intl. (FAR/KFAR) [North Dakota]
January 8th 2017
1333 hours to 1529 hours
Seat 13C, Economy Class
N939AE, 11.6 years old, Embraer ERJ-145LR
Second flight on ERJ-145
Third flight on any Embraer
Route: PMPKN NEATO DLLAN RONIC BAE GEP
FlightAware History
Click here for the video report

INTRODUCTION
What a trip it had been. What I hope for from a single itinerary from Fargo to Kolkata turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. It started off with a bit of an avoidable delay on American Eagle. A long ordeal awaited us at Chicago. A pleasantly surprising flight across the Atlantic to Manchester on American's pencil jet was quickly followed by an impressive flight on Qatar Airways' 787 middle seat. A 17 hour layover in Doha later, it was on to the home run: another 787 to Kolkata. Our trip then went on as per schedule, with a JetKonnect 737 to Kaziranga and then an ATR back to CCU. Following new year's, we had been left impressed by Etihad's A320 from Kolkata to Abu Dhabi, but the real challenge of the ultra long haul was easily overcome, thanks to an excellent flight on Etihad's B777 in to Chicago.

We waited for quite some time. However my friend’s ballsy Snapchats from the immigration and customs line painted a grim picture - he had been waiting in line for over an hour, while it was just about 45 minutes since we touched down - Etihad’s pre-clearance facility at Abu Dhabi surely helped, big time! Luggage taken care of, we decided to take the tram towards some of the parking ramps, while we waited for Y.

Unfortunately, there was nothing too interesting at gate M16 - just a JetBlue ERJ-190. It was at this moment Captain Y called me up saying he was finally released from the long lines of immigration - I recommended him to ditch his Star Alliance status for once and fly Etihad from Tokyo to Chicago. Works, right? :P

A plane from far-ish!

Criss cross! :D

It was a nice little reunion with Y - of course we had to hit Starbucks for a quick evening snack (as Etihad would call it due to Abu Dhabi time), or light breakfast to be precise. He had some time to get to Minneapolis (on a United B737-700 with Scimitar!), while we’d have a later flight but all the way up to Fargo.

CHECK IN OF SORTS & SECURITY
Printed out some more boarding passes and headed for security at 1040 hours. Security took its own time because of the shooting that had just happened in Fort Lauderdale.

Inside T3 - spent way too long in here.....

After security

SPOTTING!
Heading to Concourse K

Our flight would depart from the dreaded Concourse G, but there were other pressing issues, such as the departure of JL9, the B777-300ER to Tokyo Narita. The loud GE90s whirred in to life and made that loud sound I was taking about.

Some activity around K -

It was pretty slow at Concourse K, very different to just a couple of weeks ago. Other than the arrival of a couple of Chinese carriers (the China Eastern B777 being loud, again). We decided to head to Concourse L, to my favorite spotting location.
We meet again, Tango Golf!

Regionals

Quite honestly a bland livery here...

Hmmm, memories of AA54?! :D

AA B73H and KE B77W

This was a very good choice, with the light being perfect and many planes going by! In addition, a nice view of A6-ETG as it was (yet again) delayed at Chicago O’Hare. I was hoping tot are a picture of its departure, but that never happened.

Warbler LLC Gulf Stream G550 - seen from Concourse L

And now, please allow ETG to be the background for ALL pictures here :)

Super 80 - a sight soon to be gone, one of just 40 (at the time)

UA ERJ-175XR, AA ERJ-175, the latter had a bit of a long flight from Mexico

Trans State Airlines/United Express ERJ-145

AA B76W that would later head to Paris CDG

AA old livery and new livery B737s and B6 A320

UA851 to Beijing

Promise, this is the last of American you will see :P

Hainan B787 from Beijing

B6 E175

SkyWest (Delta) CRJ-200ER

I was keeping a close eye on our plane: N939AE was coming in from Rochester as AA3297. As it arrived, we headed back to Concourse G.
1253 hours

Of course, it was at this very moment that EY150 back to Abu Dhabi was pushing back and firing up its engines. Its a good thing I had a decent view of the B777-300ER take off in to the blue skies over Chicago......the last time I photographed A6-ETG!

The final leg home - hopefully uneventful? N939AE would take us across to Fargo, ND

The mall receipt that we printed off as we were entering T3

BOARDING
Things were a little slow to get things started, for some reasons bags weren’t being loaded till we actually boarded. Not sure if this is SOP, but it was weird, seeing as it wouldn’t help OTP all that much. Boarding was called at 1312, we went through the tiny jet bridge on to the aircraft.

ONBOARD
The flight attendant was not around. We took our seat 13C and 13B, although it was a mix up as some mother with her infant was supposed to be seated on 13C, but was unhappy that my girlfriend was with me….and that the aisle seat by her husband was empty so… I’m still not quite sure what happened there.

Extra legroom seat...

Observing the operations at Chicago, Envoy Air has a pretty interesting set up. Among other things, I noticed the small pushback tug of sorts - it literally looked like a segway that was used to push planes back for departure.

Captain gave his briefing - we were about 4 or 5 minutes behind schedule, but the ‘quick’ 1hr40min would be at 37000 feet, enabling us to make up the lost time. Fargo was reporting light snow showers and temperature of 9F (or -13C in normal terms). Everything went smooth, and doors were soon armed.

DEPARTURE
Pushed back at 1344 hours, 11 minutes late. The engines were soon fired up as we beat a couple of United Regional Jets to the departure sequence.

Click here for engine start up video link:

On the way to Runway 28R, there were mostly regional jets of United and American, and the odd Delta CRJ.

Took off at 1353 hours in to a very calm day over Chicago, and set a West/North West course for Fargo. More of those automated announcements came on as we raced our way to 37000 feet.
Click here for the take off video link:

INFLIGHT
The only flight attendant on the flight, Hector, didn’t have much to do, and yet he kept everything to a minimum. Helping out with baggage a little bit here and there, and of course not being around to welcome passengers onboard. Delta usually does a much better job here….anyway, the flight itself felt like it was going on forever, despite it being ‘quick’.

Anyway, I got my pretzel and ginger ale snack at 1407 hours. Once all the trash was picked up, the flight attendant just disappeared. I tried to catch some sleep but with minimal success. My girlfriend whipped out her iPad, and there we were playing Xs and Os. The further west we flew, the snowier it got. Not fun at all!

2-1 configuration of the ERJ

DESCENT & ARRIVAL
Descent started at 1504 hours, about an hour and ten minutes since take off. Windows made for a very grim scene - there were ice crystals! It was largely overcast outside as we cut through the clouds on descent.

Once we dipped under the clouds, imagine my sadness as I saw the snow clad plains of North Dakota - I was well and truly missing home.

We made a smooth touchdown on Runway 18 at 1528 hours, a minute before time. The runway had some snow blown over from the sides, making it a little slippery.
click here for landing video link

Taxied to Gate 1 (surprisingly) even though the flight attendant announced it would be Gate 3….and that they were based out of LGA!

Disembarked in to the cold jet bridge, where the flight attendant once again did not bother greeting the passengers, but was fixated on checking texts. Priorities, right?!

Picked up our luggage, reunited with my girlfriend’s great uncle and we hit Five Guys - yes, I totally missed having a delicious burger, how American of me?! :P On the way to Grand Forks, I took the opportunity of being heavily antisocial, and I slept it off in the backseat. Jet lag was real!

CONCLUSION
Aaaand that’s it! An uninspired end to a great trip, but I was so glad it was that way. I didn’t want any more drama especially on the way back. Shout out to American Airlines for making things easy at bad times (despite being crappy on ground at ORD on the way out) and with the Etihad codeshare. Also a shoutout to American Airlines for pulling the plug on the latter recently, making such easy connections a thing of the past. Uneventful flight which was pretty ideal, however the crew member Hector definitely seemed out of it for the most part. I guess that’s just the way it is.

Thank you all for reading this exhilarating series of reports! It definitely taught me a lesson or two (being patient and not departing out of ORD in the winter), but it also gave me the chance to see new things - Qatar Airways, Doha, and Manchester were pretty fun! It wasn’t too long until after I came back to GFK did I start thinking about the plans for the upcoming summer. With a sub $800 price tag on the international ticket, and an Iron Maiden concert in Minneapolis, things started to look interesting. Stay tuned for the Summer 2017 series of reports! :)

My other trip reports:
Winter Break 2016/17 (8): Ultra long haul with Etihad (AUH-ORD, Y, Jan '17) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016/17 (7): Enticing Etihad to Abu Dhabi! (CCU-AUH, Jan '17, Y) (video trip report)

Winter Break 2016 (6): My last flight on Jet Airways' ATR (GAU-CCU, Y, Dec '16) + Scintillating Sunderbans (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (5): Konnecting to Kaziranga (S24363 B73H CCU-GAU Y, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (4): Take us home, Qatar Airways! (QR540, DOH-CCU, Y, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (3): Long haul middle seat - our first flight on Qatar Airways! (QR28 MAN-DOH, Y, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (2): Pencil Jet across the Atlantic (AA54 MAN-ORD, Y+, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (1): The Frozen Embraer Delay - missed connection! (FAR-ORD, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with N891GA, to divert or not to divert (LAS-GFK Nov '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with Allegiant! (Part 1, many pictures) (video trip report)
The day I flew the world's most popular plane (GFK-FAR-CKN-GFK, C172)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 14: Delta Connection, a quick hop in the Midwest! (MSP - GFK, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 13: Super old, Super 80, Mad Dog Across the Midwest! (AA ORD-MSP, Aug'16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 12: Flying the Friendly Skies... (United Munich to Chicago, Aug '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 11: Epic Lufthansa, Epic A340! (Delhi to Munich, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 10: Konnect, Lite, Delight...(S2 B73H CCU-DEL, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 9: Take me home, Vistara! (DEL-CCU, Jul '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 8: Vistara's INAUGURAL flight out of Kolkata! (CCU-DEL, Jun '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 7: Efficient IndiGo! (Mumbai to Kolkata, A320, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 6: Big delays, cracked windshield, angry passengers (SG CCU-BOM B73J) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 5: Air India's domestic Dream)liner (DEL-CCU May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 4: Nearly First Class - stories of the empty A380! (LH FRA-DEL May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 3: World's longest jet, Lufthansa's B748i! (ORD-FRA May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 2: ChicaGO on United's A319! (MSP-ORD, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 1: Sun rise onboard the long range CRJ (DL GFK-MSP CRJ-900, May '16) (video trip report)
The pencil jet(s) for spring break! (+ Iron Maiden bonus): Delta MSP-FLL-MSP, March '16 (DL1608 video trip report, DL2027 video trip report)
De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16) (ORD-MSP video report) (MSP-GFK video report)
Delta's aged B767-300ER across the Atlantic! (CDG-ORD in Y, Jan '16) (video report)
Air France's NEW Economy (B777-200ER, Bengaluru to Paris, Jan '16) (video report)
Delays and despair: stressed out in the middle seat! (Jet Airways B737 Mumbai - Bengaluru, Jan '16)
Air India's hybrid babybus from Kolkata to Mumbai (Jan '16, Y) (video report)

South Africa 3: 12 days in Scintillating South Africa (Kruger, Kulula and Rand Airport, Apr' 12, LONG!)
South Africa 2: Elegant Emirates Economy! (DXB-CPT, B77W, Apr '12)
South Africa 1: My first flight on Emirates, my first flight on the 777 (CMB-DXB, Apr '12)

International transit with Jet Airways (BOM-MAA-CMB, Oct. '11)
Konnecting to Bhubaneswar (9W BOM-BBI-BOM, Jul '11)
Three trips between India and Sri Lanka (9W BOM-CMB-BOM: Jun '11, Jul '11, Oct. 11)
To India's Orange City: Mumbai - Nagpur - Mumbai on Jetlite & Tadoba National Park (May 2011)
My last flight on Kingfisher Airlines (and 2 other Jet flights, May '11)

bgboiflyer

Re: Winter Break 2016/17 (9): The Final Hop Home (AA Eagle ERJ-145, ORD-FAR, Jan '17, Y)

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 am

AS happens to be oddly be based in SEA, not in ANC/Alaska. Reminds me of that mini airport we kind of have in BOI. We have 12 jetways and countless remotes for the Q400's QX/AS operate along with their OO E-170s that UA and DL also have. No EMBs happen to fly in to us and somehow WN and DL, UA have a presence here. Funny enough UA's birthplace was here in BOI, their former grounds are now Boise State University! Cool trip, must of had some Fun!

F27500

Re: Winter Break 2016/17 (9): The Final Hop Home (AA Eagle ERJ-145, ORD-FAR, Jan '17, Y)

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Great report ... loved all your pics!

What a shame you had such a loser of a FA though. The ones like this who can't be bothered to engage at all with pax ... that kind of behavior just irritates me (former FA and airline man here). I have to wonder .. where did this fool go and hide on an EMB145 though?! LOL

Enjoyed the report!

azstar

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:26 pm

I love Fargo. It's got a hip vibe, fresh air, friendly people, a nice little airport (very limited air service, tho). Too bad it's buried under ice & snow 3 months out of the year.

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks for your reply!
bgboiflyer wrote:
AS happens to be oddly be based in SEA, not in ANC/Alaska.

Did I get that long? By the long flight, I was in fact referring to the ORD-SEA flight itself.

bgboiflyer wrote:
Reminds me of that mini airport we kind of have in BOI. We have 12 jetways and countless remotes for the Q400's QX/AS operate along with their OO E-170s that UA and DL also have. No EMBs happen to fly in to us and somehow WN and DL, UA have a presence here. Funny enough UA's birthplace was here in BOI, their former grounds are now Boise State University! Cool trip, must of had some Fun!

That's very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing that!! :) And yep, it was a nice end to a great trip...

F27500 wrote:
Great report ... loved all your pics!

Thank you very much! :)

F27500 wrote:
What a shame you had such a loser of a FA though. The ones like this who can't be bothered to engage at all with pax ... that kind of behavior just irritates me (former FA and airline man here). I have to wonder .. where did this fool go and hide on an EMB145 though?! LOL

Enjoyed the report!

Oh well, what can be done. He just went up to the front, pulled the seat down and sat there, doing absolutely nothing at all...... :grumpy:

azstar wrote:
I love Fargo. It's got a hip vibe, fresh air, friendly people, a nice little airport (very limited air service, tho). Too bad it's buried under ice & snow 3 months out of the year.

Thanks for your reply! I agree, there is something pretty nice about Fargo compared to G Funk. I can't say if I like the airport though - it was the very place this trip started going off tracks. Oh well, just my memories I guess....