Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Virgin Australia, Business Class - Boeing B 737-800: Brisbane to Melbourne

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am

Here's the link to the photos!

INTRODUCTION
This ticket was purchased using Etihad Guest miles. In the original booking, I would have travelled on VA334, which departs from Brisbane at 14h55. Really quite by chance, I realise that I’ve been rebooked to VA332, which departs from Brisbane one hour earlier at 13h55.

According to the IATA rule, until departure the entity which made the original booking is responsible for the passenger – so in this case, Etihad Airways. Quite frankly, I think it’s a poor show that they can’t even be arsed to at least inform me that I’ve been put on a flight that leaves a whole hour earlier!

And so I leave the Spicers Balfour in New Market and make my way to the airport one hour earlier than expected. The journey by car takes about 25 minutes, depending on traffic. My first stop though, is the BNE Service Centre – as I have to return the rental car with a full tank.

Once I return the car, I take the elevated walkway that connects the car park and the airport’s railway station with the domestic terminal.

CHECK-IN
There is a dedicated Business Class check-in section for Virgin Australia passengers only.

AIRSIDE/LOUNGE
Right next to the Business Class check-in counters is the priority line for security. In Australia, on domestic flights you only need to take out your laptop from the bag. Not liquids.
The Virgin Australia lounge is opposite gate 41. To be honest, I was expecting this lounge to be a bit of an anti-climax after having experienced the lovely Qantas lounge in Perth.

But much to my surprise, this is also a very nice lounge. I don’t think I could say if it’s better or worse than the Qantas lounge, because they’re just so different. While the Qantas lounge is elegant in a very grown-up kind of style, the Virgin lounge has a much fresher, more modern look that is also very attractive.

Food and drinks offerings are good and include a range of hot and cold snacks. Although where the food in the lounge is concerned, I do think the Qantas lounges are ahead of Virgin Australia.

BOARDING
The flight is departing from gate 43. There is a dedicated line for Business Class passengers and members of the frequent flyer programme.

CABIN
Virgin Australia has a dedicated Business Class cabin on the Boeing B 737-800 with eight seats in a 2 + 2 configuration on two rows. The seat pitch is 38 inches and the seat width is 19.5 inches.
The appearance of the cabin is sleek, with the seats in black leather and a purple, see-through cabin divider. The seat is certainly comfortable and beats the European interpretation of Business Class seating any day. The disadvantage with this seat however, is that while it has excellent recline, there is no foot rest to put your legs up. On a flight of only two hours this is hardly an issue, but I’m not sure what it would be like on a longer flight.

What I really like on Virgin Australia is that once the fasten seatbelt sign goes off, the crew will cordon off the Business Class section from the rest of the aircraft, which significantly diminished the amount of foot traffic in the Business Class cabin.

CREW & SERIVCE
There are three ladies and one gent working in the cabin on today’s flight. The Business Class section is being taken care of by the purser, Sarah. I think this young lady does a really outstanding job in the way she goes about her duties, which is something you rarely find with flight attendants these days. She has excellent manners, she’s friendly and approachable and throughout the flight she goes out of her way to ensure that passengers have everything they need.

There is a choice of orange juice or water as a welcome drink. There are no refreshing towels though.

THE MEAL
The whole meal is served on one tray and consists of
• a small salad with parmigiano shavings and an excellent dressing,
• a small bun with butter,
• coconut and chocolate sweets for dessert, and for the main course
• a pork pie served hot,
or
• Baba Ghanoush, served cold with flat bread.
The salad is definitely much better and certainly larger than that miserable excuse for a side salad served on Qantas. For the main course I choose the Baba Ghanoush, which is really very tasty.
And the coconut chocolate sweet is quite lovely and goes well with a cup of coffee.

ARRIVAL
Eventually we land in Melbourne after a flight time of two hours and five minutes. As we taxi in, we pass a LAN Chile B 787, which seems awfully far away from home!
Eventually our aircraft comes to a stop at Terminal 3.

GETTING INTO TOWN
In Melbourne I’ll be staying at the Novotel St. Kilda, which is right on the waterfront. To get to St. Kilda, your cheapest option is to take the red Skybus express shuttle which runs directly from Melbourne airport’s Terminal 4 to St. Kilda. The journey from the airport takes about 60 minutes, depending on traffic, and will cost you AUD19 one way. On weekdays the service runs every 30 minutes.

CONCLUSION
So who is better, Qantas or Virgin? It’s really quite hard to say. The food and the crew on the Virgin flight were definitely better. But the lounge and the level of comfort were better on Qantas. Although the latter point is not really quite fair, given that my Qantas flight was with a wide-body, whereas the Virgin Australia flight was with a narrow-body.

BNEFlyer

Re: Virgin Australia, Business Class - Boeing B 737-800: Brisbane to Melbourne

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:58 am

Nice take on VA. They're the airline I fly domestically and have status with and I find them to be pretty good in both J and Y. The lounge in BNE is fine, it's not as flash as the QF one, but it's usually quiet and they have a good wine selection.

When did you take this flight? I ask because sparkling wine has been available as a PDB for a few months now.

And to be a bit pedantic, Spicers is in New Farm. Newmarket is a suburb a few km's away.