Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cointrin330
Topic Author

New York to Buenos Aires (JFK-EZE) AA 777-300ER

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm

I flew out to Buenos Aires from JFK a couple of days after the snow storm and weekend water main break fiasco that turned the airport into a sea of lost luggage and delayed flights. Fortunately, I was flying out of Terminal 8, the largest of JFK's terminals and probably the most efficient one. Security checkpoints were light on crowds this evening and I quickly made my way to the Bobby Van's post security for a drink and a snack before boarding my 10 hour+ flight to Argentina.

American Airlines Flight AA 953
Scheduled Departure: 9:55pm
Actual Departure: 9:54pm
Scheduled Arrival Time: 10:42am
Actual Arrival Time: 10:22am
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Departure Gate: 4

Boarding the 777 began around 9:15pm, on time, and was orderly. Everyone was seated and ready to go about 10 minutes before scheduled push back. The flight was mostly full, with a few seats toward the very rear of the plane empty and used by the crew.

We taxied out to the runway with push back a minute early and within 15 minutes we were rolling down the runway. Take off was smooth and so was the climb out. The entire flight was generally smooth, with a little chop here and there but nothing major.

Service began around 30 minutes after take off. Drinks and dinner served together. Cabin crew were friendly, efficient, and did it all with a bit of a smile. The 777-300ER is a big plane and this one was in very good condition. Clean. Quiet. The lavatories were kept tidy throughout the flight. The flight attendants set up a small drink bar at the rear galley on both sides, with cheese spread, crackers, and water, juice, and soda available for self-serve.

Breakfast was served 1 hour out of EZE and it seemed the crew were in a hurry to get it done as it appears they initiated the service later than what had been announced (90 minutes prior to landing).

Descent into EZE was smooth and we landed about 20 or so minutes ahead of schedule, with a long roll out on the runway and a slow taxi back to the Terminal, which put us on the parking stand on schedule. We had to wait for another AA 777-300ER to push back and vacate our gate. Parked next to us was an AeroMexico 787-8 and a company, AA 777-200ER. We could also see the AZ 777, IB A340, AF 777, and DL A330 parked at the other terminal, and a handful of AR jets around as well.

This was my fourth flight on the JFK-EZE route since the mid-2000s and the service has steadily improved from the days of the ratty and then already old 767-300ER, on to the 777 pre-refurbishment, to the refurbished 772 and to my surprise, a 777-300ER, which was added for a few weeks. Crew were friendly. Plane very clean. Food okay for airplane food and for an airline not known for remarkable service. Informative captain.

Photos to follow shortly.

klm672

Re: New York to Buenos Aires (JFK-EZE) AA 777-300ER

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 am

Still waiting on photos. Thanks!

American 767

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Still interesting to read, even without photos. Thanks for posting. It sounds like the 77W is a great airplane to fly on. I have never been on it.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 am

American 767 wrote:
Still interesting to read, even without photos. Thanks for posting. It sounds like the 77W is a great airplane to fly on. I have never been on it.

AA's 77Ws are indeed nice. They are well kept inside and the ride was reasonably comfortable given the 10 across in Y which is just criminal.

The 77W does not usually fly the JFK-EZE route but for about six weeks this year in January-February, it did, presumably to accommodate extra demand for Southern Hemisphere summer holiday demand. The flight was nearly sold out.