Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

drian02
Topic Author

Qatar Airways A340-600 Economy: Barcelona to Doha

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:29 pm

This time I bring you a review of Qatar Airways, operating on one of the last A340-600 built. Starting last summer, Qatar decided to change the A330, which was operated in BCN until then, to the new B787 and A340. They recently announced that they will continue operating the A340 instead of the A350 they had scheduled before. Qatar Airways currently operates 2 daily flights from Barcelona to Doha.

We start the boarding 40 minutes before the scheduled departure. The boarding is done by rows in an orderly manner. Two bridges are connected to the plane, one of them dedicated to customers traveling in Business Class.

The interior is configured 2-4-2 and the separation between seats is the standard for a long-range flight, in this case 6h 30min. However, the box that controls the personal entertainment screens is quite annoying.

Imageq1

The cabin is quite spacious and with the latest Airbus interiors.

Imageq2

Before taking off, the crew distributes refreshing towels to all passengers in economy class. After a short taxi to runway 25L we take off with 15 minutes of delay with respect to the scheduled time.

Imageq3

Once the belts signal goes off, the crew distributes paper menus also for economy class.

Imageq4

1h after takeoff, the crew serves the lunch. The main dish that I have chosen is the Chicken Tikka Masala. As you can see in the image, the presentation, the quality and the taste of the food in qatar airways is one of the best I have tried in economy class. After the food service, the crew went by asking us to close the window blind.

Imageq5 by

1h 30min before landing in Doha the second food service begins: A hot snack to choose between chicken and vegetarian option.

Imageq6

One of the negative points of traveling on the A340 is that the ptv is quite old, which improves a lot when you change planes within Qatar Airways. The screens are much smaller and of worse quality than those of the B777 or A350 of Qatar that I have also tried.

Finally, we landed punctually at the Hamad International Airport in Doha.

As always, the highlights of Qatar Airways are: The crew, they always serve you smiling. The quality of the food and the comfort of the economy class. All this makes Qatar Airways one of the best airlines I've tried in the long haul in economy.

As negative points would have to stand out: PTV's outdated in the A340 and the snack that is served before landing. In all the flights that I have made with Qatar for several years they have always served the same type of snack.

As always I leave the link to the video review of this flight: https://youtu.be/13BNscEUvPk

bgboiflyer

Re: Qatar Airways A340-600 Economy: Barcelona to Doha

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 am

Awesome! It would be fun to fly an A346 one day, it's one of the coolest looking jets out there. Too bad not many of these exist today. I would definitely tried the Tikka Masala as I've never had it before, and sure the presentation is nice. I'd say XiamenAir also has a good catering (somehow out of Seattle) as they served actual fresh seafood onboard my flight last year:

Fiend

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm

I've booked a trip in May MAN-BKK on Qatar with A340-600 DOH-BKK and BKK-DOH. Am looking forward to the experience...

CollegeAviator

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Cool report! Thanks so much for sharing. All those chances to fly QR from CMB to DOH (and onwards) I simply gave up. Oh well.
QR has perhaps the best economy food in the skies, on par with SQ and beating EK even.
Agreed about the IFE - feels like there's 4 stages of IFE at QR: the A330/A346s, the Panasonics on the older B777s, the hardware on the B787/A380 that I found to be slow, and the brand new ones on some B777s and all A350s....so much for consistency I guess.

Saved your video to watch later! :)