lysflyer
Topic Author

Eurowings MRS-DUS Low-cost

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi again everyone!

Welcome to this brand new trip report covering a simple flight from MRS to DUS onboard Eurowings, the low-cost arm of the Lufthansa Group. On a side note, I feel sorry that such iconic brands like Lufthansa are fading away and might leave room for quite bland and generic names like Eurowings (well, I know it's a quite old name however I would have prefered if LH had continued their operations in DUS...it's just my opinion...) and for low-cost like operations.

BACKGROUND :

I had to attend a business seminar in Breda, Netherlands. Being located right in between Amsterdam, Brussels and Dusseldorf, I decided to opt for the direct MRS-DUS flight as the timing fitted particularly well to my needs.
Currently, EW operates a 4 times weekly flight from their main hub in DUS to the 3rd largest french city Marseille (also called sunny city or windy city ^^). Flights are departing from Marseille Provence Hall A around 1200pm depending on the day. This is where all LH Group and Star Alliance flight are leaving. Actually, Hall B is dedicated to all Air France and its partners flights while Terminal 2 is dedicated to low-cost operations with U2, FR and PC operating from this shack-like terminal.
Booking and OLCI were done on the very user-friendly Eurowings website and app. On the app, you can manage everything about your flight. Be sure to download their IFE app that can be used inflight and featuring a free live tracking of the flight and some other pay per use content.

Courtesy of the Great Circle Mapper

After being dropped-off on the curbside by a relative, I headed straight to the oldest part of MRS which is Terminal 1 Hall A.
The airport recently refurbished the curbside and I admit that they did quite a good job. Giving a nice airy atmosphere of the entrance

As EW is a typical low-cost airline, I didn't expect so many people checking-in luggage. Actually, the flight was almost full. Hopefully, EW will add more frequencies to this airlink

Not that much activity on this monday morning

Going airside was a smooth experience with the compulsory passport check as France is still under state of emergency due to the high terror threat level

Airside shopping area has few but enough offering

As said before, not that much activity around

Typical MRS operation with a lot of Maghreb destinations, your typical hub links (LHR by BA, MUC by LH) and the interesting Rouge to YUL (hopefully, it will go mainline one day or another)

Very sexy looking wingleted RV B763 getting prepared before crossing the Atlantic towards YUL

Late arrival of the inbound flight from DUS. Nice looking A320 in Germanwings colors

Boarding was quickly called and soon enought all passengers were on board.

Flight # : EW9451
Departure airport : Marseille Provence (MRS/LFML)
Arrival airport : Dusseldorf Rhein-Ruhr (DUS/EDDL)
ETD : 1325
ATD : 1405
ETA : 1510
ATA : 1535
Scheduled flight time : 01:45
Actual flight time : 01:30
Aircraft type : Airbus A320-200
Reg # : D-AIQN
Seat : 01F

Today's flight path was pretty straightforward. Following the Rhone river valley to Geneva and then straight north to DUS

I chose to sat on seat 01F which turned to be a very good choice with a huge amount of legroom which is on par with what you can find on "regular" LH and the seat is exactly the same
Daddy Lufty is neighboring us with a E195 bound for MUC
Huge amount of reading material
Pushing back on a rather deserted apron
Leaving the apron
Accelerating on the runway and passing the Airbus Helicopter plant
Take-off
Cargo terminal
Overflying one of the numerous oil refinery that sits around the Etang de Berre (Pound of Berre)
Passing west of Berre-la-Fare airfield (LFNR)
The french Air Force academy is located in Salon AB (LFMY)
Breaching the clouds few minutes after take off

Within minutes, on board service was done. Flying at the Best fare, I was entitled to complimentary food and drink which was satisfactory for such a short flight but I hope they offer more for longer flights otherwise it not worth the price (you can also gain Miles&More miles)
Seat mate felt asleep and I couldn't raise the tray table...so I had to put everything on my leg...
Content of the meal box...the brick contains water and not milk which is quite odd. I never saw water in such kind of package
I could barely see much ground as it was overcast during the whole flight
Threatening cloud formation when approaching DUS
Getting closer to DUS
Approaching DUS and passing next to Essen Airport (ESS/EDLE)
Seconds to touchdown
Landing
Vacating runway
Taxiing toward the terminal...Sad to see an AB A320 in Oneworld livery, this is an image of the past now
Both airlines are no longer operating...4U and AB...

Deboarding was very quick and I got my luggage after a short waiting. I then headed to the rental car counter to get a very nice Skoda Superb. However, the rental car parking lot is quite a maze and I had difficult to get out of it due to poor signage.

Now, let's have a look of my time in North Brabant. It was a very pleasant time with nice weather and good sights.

Peaceful lake
Breda city skyline
Nice river boat and a fort in the background in Breda
Beautiful church in Breda
A church in Tilburg

After a very interesting time in the Netherlands, it was time to head back to Germany and Dusseldorf airport. It was very nice to drive on free highways in both countries. I must say that the dutch road network is very well maintained when the german highways are awful to drive on...and are a complete maze when approaching Dusseldorf.
I dropped off the car in the rental car parking lot and walked towards the terminal.

DUS curbside. I love the futuristic atmosphere provided by the monorail

DUS is definitely a Eurowings hub...backed by daddy Lufthansa of course
Common check-in area for all departing EW flights. Not many passengers in line despite being early in the day and EW having a lot of flights leaving from DUS.

Security screening was pretty straightforward with very pleasant security personel

DUS airside. It felt quite crowded and narrow as it is basically only one big hall with non schengen operations at the very end of the terminal. It was not so pleasant actually with not very interesting nor very attractive shops and food court.
A remain of the time when LH used DUS as one of their hubs...now, they just have flights to FRA, MUC and EWR I think
The ground level gate assigned to the MRS bound flight which meant bus boarding

Flight # : EW94501
Departure airport : Dusseldorf Rhein-Ruhr (DUS/EDDL)
Arrival airport : Marseille Provence (MRS/LFML)
ETD : 1050
ATD : 1100
ETA : 1255
ATA : 1240
Scheduled flight time : 02:05
Actual flight time : 01:40
Aircraft type : Airbus A319-100
Reg # : D-AGWK
Seat : 03F

Today's flight path :

Under the wing you know ;)
How I boarding planes...
The front of the cabin is dedicated to Best fare passengers while I don't really see the need for a specific board for it
Average legroom and slimline seats on par with LH seats
Reading aplenty
I guess some plane is thirsty when a DL B763 is taxiing
Pushback revealing a gorgeous SQ A359 waiting for its flight back to SIN
Azur Air Germany B763 and a sole AB A332 resting on the apron
Waiting our turn for take-off. Here you can see the airport train station
On the runway
Chasing our shadow
Airborne
The Ruhr is definitely the economic heart of Europe with busy skies, roads and rivers
Oddly banking northward (given MRS is south of DUS) and overlooking DUS
And now heading in the good direction!
Overflying Maastricht Aachen Airport (MST/EHBK)
Soon, onboard food and drink was delivered. Same as my previous flight...nothing much to talk about
Flying next to Luxeuil AB (LFSX)
Crossing Lyon
Flying over Grenoble Alpes-Isère Airport (GNB/LFLS) currently serving general aviation and winter/skiing flights
Top of descent
Orange AB (LFMO)
Carpentras and its small airfield (LFNH)...Can you spot it?
Not so good visibility but I swear it is Avignon at the distance...the city where I currently live
And Salon AB (LFMY) again
Can you see Berre-La Fare airfield (LFNR)
Crossing the Côte bleue (Blue coast)
Frioul islands in the Bay of Marseille
Such a scenic approach over Marseille
Nice landscape with the highway A55 linking Marseille to Martigues
Final approach
Over the threshold with one of the Marseille's usual suspects...a AH B738 bound for one of the many destinations that AH serves from Marseille
A odd V3 F100 operating a flight to LIS on behalf of TP
A rare Turkey registered SV A333 operating a Hajj flight towards Saudi Arabia
Bright looking DHL B752 resting the day before flying the european skies the following night
Vacating the runway
Bland looking SV A333 waiting for us to vacate the taxiway
Fellow SN A319 getting prepared for its next flight to BRU
Last look at my ride from DUS while the SV A333 is taking off

I used PARAFE passport checkpoints and waited a loooong time for my bag. What was disappointing is that despite having only 2 flights arriving, only one belt was used which created quite a mess not knowing which bags for which flight were delivered.
As my partner was still working, I had to take the train to go back to Avignon. The train station is situated quite far away from the airport but a free bus shuttle is provided by the airport. The airport bus terminal was recently refurbished and looked very neat. It is located right in front Terminal 2 (low-cost terminal) which can easily attract LCC passengers.

The view from the train station

CONCLUSION :
MRS : Very pleasant and quiet airport. Hopefully new destinations or more frequencies will be added in the future. Nice move from LH to start a 3rd daily frequency.
DUS : Effective airport but can easily be crowded.
EW : Very good LCC. Quality-wise they are on par with LH.
North Brabant : Pleasant place, I had a perfect weather and I enjoyed my time a lot. I look forward to go back there.

Well, thank you for reading this trip report. Any comment or question would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all!

LYSflyer

Links to my previous TR :
Swiss Economy LYS-ZRH-EWR
Aegean Airlines A3633/A3632-LYS-ATH-LYS-Inaugural
Brussels Airlines SN3588 - LYS-BRU - Economy
Adria Airways JP395 - BRU-LJU - Economy
Adria Airways JP376 - LJU-BRU - Economy
Brussels Airlines SN3591 - BRU-LYS - Economy
TAP By Portugalia Economy LYS-LIS
Air France Economy MRS-ORY
Turkish Airlines MRS-IST Economy
Ryanair MRS-TUF Low-cost
Ethiopian Airlines NIM-ADD-CDG Business

SQ22

Re: Eurowings MRS-DUS Low-cost

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks interesting report.

The water is quite normal for EW in the beginning it was a bottle and in the box were two halves of that horrible sandwich as well as some sweets. Since these days I am always refusing it and just take a drink from the drink service.

lysflyer
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank you SQ22. I agree that this box doesn't worth the extra money paid for the best fare

SQ22

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 pm

lysflyer wrote:
Thank you SQ22. I agree that this box doesn't worth the extra money paid for the best fare

Was this a typo? In best you can pick soemthing from the inflight shopping free of charge or did they cheat you? :wink2:

lysflyer
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Perhaps I lack memory. I was sure I was flying best fare as I had a free bag, a fair amount of Miles&More miles and onboard food.
Perhaps it was just my company that paid extra for these...

SQ22

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 pm

lysflyer wrote:
Perhaps I lack memory. I was sure I was flying best fare as I had a free bag, a fair amount of Miles&More miles and onboard food.
Perhaps it was just my company that paid extra for these...

That is "Smart", "Best" is Business replacement class and "Basic" is flight and carry-on only.

debonair

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Definitely NOT BEST! In BEST Class/Fare the middle seat is kept empty (like in LH BusinessClass) und passengers will never ever receive a snack box, instead they have free choice from the Bistro Menu. The snack box is only included in the SMART fare.

According to demand/network and other reasons, the aircraft will operate in a single Economy Class config, but EW will keep the "curtain"/divider and BEST logos in place (as it would be too complicated to change for every flight). That's why you read BEST on the bulkhead, covers etc. - despite only beeing SMART!

lysflyer
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Thank you for the explanation debonair

bgboiflyer

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 am

Never been to Europe yet so I'm bound to need to try this LCC stuff

lysflyer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm

bgboiflyer...there is nothing much to talk about...nowadays tends to be no more than an "air bus"...to my sadness!