n797mx
Topic Author

First Flight of the AA 737-8 MAX

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:36 am

Going to keep this shorter, since a picture is worth a thousand words.

Click the video link if you only care about the MAX flight or don't want to read. ;)

This Tuesday (Nov 28) I flew down to MIA non rev. My original plan was to go BUF-DCA-MIA as it would have gotten me in the earliest, but my plans changed when the BUF-DCA flight was delayed due to MX on the inbound aircraft. Wanting to get there ASAP I hopped on the BUF-ORD flight instead. I was the last passenger cleared thankfully. I sat in the last row which I don't like to do. It was a CRJ-700 operated by Skywest. For some reason the #1 engine is always louder than the #2 which messed with my ears a bit.

Once in ORD I had an hour layover which left me enough time to go to the bathroom and get to my gate. I checked in as soon as the agents arrived and got my seat on the domestic configured 757-200, 13F. The aircraft, N679AN, was still in the silver bullet scheme which was real neat to have. The interior and seats were in pristine condition, albeit a little yellow in color. The seats and recline were some of the most comfortable among the domestic seats I've been in. While flying over the Sarasota area I noticed we were hit several times by a laser light coming from near the airport. I reported it to the pilots after landing, but they said they had not noticed anything.

I got into MIA around 9:15pm, and got to my hotel soon there after. I stayed at one (that shall remain anonymous) because I needed a shower and a proper bed, even though I knew I would be staying only a few hours. I payed $88 for the room, but it was the scuzziest hotel I have ever been in to be honest. I cheaped out, but I wasn't expecting how lousy the place was. Next time I will just get club passes and stay in the airport.

The actual MAX flight is documented in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBShui5O8tw

My review is a lot better than what I've been seeing a lot of. Seats were comfortable, yet you could barely tell the less pitch. Wifi was blazing fast when it stayed connected (booted off multiple times. but expect some teething issues). There wasn't too much fanfare going on for the flight on the AA side. They had balloons and such, and the crew seemed excited. There were avgeeks a plenty and a few media outlets I recognized.

Once in LGA I decided to not wait for my later flight to DCA and instead hop on the PHL connector. LGA-PHL was a Piedmont ERJ-145, which was in amazing shape. The seats were plush and everything was working properly (I've flown many ERJ and can say this is not usually the norm for me). The flight was about half full and we made it to PHL in about 37 minutes.

In PHL I got a call from my coworkers to bring them some Gino's while in the airport. Cool, except they didn't tell me that it was in term C not F. I rushed to C and back to F just in time to make my flight, a ZW CRJ-200 back to BUF. Flight was bumpy as hell, but I and the cheesesteaks survived.
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

ACCS300

Re: First Flight of the AA 737-8 MAX

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Great video thanks!! Pitch looks very tight indeed! Also can't stand AA's pre-recorded announcements, they're abrasive and totally impersonal.