akinsoul
Topic Author

Jet2 EDI-VIE on 31 year-old 737 - Really pleasant surprise!

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for stopping by!

I managed to squeeze a wee weekend away in Vienna for my birthday this year thanks to the reasonable prices of Jet2.com. The ticket only cost £145.8 return (outbound ticket £97.20, £48.60). However, this was a hand-luggage only fare. I also added seat reservation for £10 one-way and a hot breakfast for £8.

I take back everything I have said about Jet2.com in past! I had a fantastic flight, despite the one hour delay due to a defective navigation system. The crew was super friendly and in good spirit - they all seemed to enjoy what they were doing, and also looked impeccable. It just makes such a difference!

The plane itself, G-CELH was first delivered to Lufty in 1986 which made this lady 31 years old! However, one would not have known that had it not been for some wee gems in the cabin….especially in the loo! All the signs also hint at the plane’s German past! It certainly made me smile.

I love their seat - it just screams low-cost to me, but in a good way. It's great how they cut out unnecessary stuff to save on weight. The seat is basically a hard shell with some padding - which I found quite comfortable. The food tray and armrests have been reduced in size to the bare minimum and the cup holder - I can't! It looks so cheap it is actually quite cool....and above all, quite clever! They did not have window shades either (but I was told that their newer planes will have them again)

The food was great as well and good value for money. There was lots in the wee pack and the hot main itself, while slightly smaller than I would have liked, was really tasty and looked the part when you removed the sleeve. What really impressed me was that the crew came and confirmed the pre-order meal before boarding was over. They also took my drinks order then - had the choice of tea, coffee or water. It then arrived within a few minutes after the seat belt sign went off.

The only downside was having to listen to Ant or Dec (British TV celebs - I still don’t know which one is which) for all the recorded announcements haha.

The delay of 1 hour was handled really well. The pilot kept us updated and the flight attendants made announcements apologising as well.

All in all, I had a fab flight. Jet.com is a low-cost airline and you get what it says on the tin…but with a smile, chirpy attitude and then some! I was really pleasantly surprised by Jet2 and can only recommend.

CHECK OUT THE TRIP REPORT ON YOUTUBE

Sometimes Boeing. Never boring.

debonair

Re: Jet2 EDI-VIE on 31 year-old 737 - Really pleasant surprise!

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Nice TR, the a/c looks amazing for 31years - new overhead lockers, winglets, new slim line seats! WOW! Amazing, that they did the complete make-over only 3years ago - maybe we will the a/c much longer in the air?

Only strange thing are the missing window blinds, as all LH are equipped with - but it seems they replaced the wall panels as well.

akinsoul
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks debonair! Had it not been for the bathroom fittings and the overhead panels, I don't think I would have realised how old the plane really was. Re. the window blinds, I think they must have taken them out for weight saving purposes just like Ryanair. The wall panels must have been new as the Lufthansa ones would have had polka dots all over them.

igtrader88

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:17 am

thank you for a good trip report.

CRJ900

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am

Great report and nice to see the venerable B737-300 still gracing the skies over Europe and in such nice shape too :)

Those Acro seats are just hilarious but they obviously are better than they look - surprised Ryanair aren't using those... I only read favourable reports on Jet2, sounds like they have a good product that works, hope they stay that way.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

akinsoul
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
Great report and nice to see the venerable B737-300 still gracing the skies over Europe and in such nice shape too :)

igtrader88 wrote:
thank you for a good trip report.

Thanks for reading and commenting, guys :D

CRJ900 wrote:
Those Acro seats are just hilarious but they obviously are better than they look - surprised Ryanair aren't using those... I only read favourable reports on Jet2, sounds like they have a good product that works, hope they stay that way.

The seats just crack me up but there is a lot of thought behind them and they are practical - the tray is tiny but when you factor in the cup holder, it's the perfect size! I have talked a lot of smack about Jet2 before but now that I have flown with them, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about them, especially at those prices.

b4thefall

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm

I flew on Jet2 for the first time earlier this year and I was equally impressed. I also flew on an old 733, but it was kept in excellent condition.

The seats, while cheap looking, provide excellent legroom (much better than EasyJet in my experience) despite the fact that the 733 aircraft are fitted with 149 seats. I'm 6ft 1 and I had no problems. The on board menu was also good, with reasonable prices I thought. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

akinsoul
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 am

b4thefall wrote:
I flew on Jet2 for the first time earlier this year and I was equally impressed.

You know what, I keep getting the same feedback all over. I think Jet2 are really onto something here - no wonder they are able to expand the way they are doing at the moment!

JamesAlice

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I flew with them in July and the 752 I was on had Chinese writing in the toilet and under the seatbelt signs!

Did a quick check and the frame was ex China Southern. It did make me smile!

b4thefall

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 am

akinsoul wrote:
b4thefall wrote:
I flew on Jet2 for the first time earlier this year and I was equally impressed.

You know what, I keep getting the same feedback all over. I think Jet2 are really onto something here - no wonder they are able to expand the way they are doing at the moment!

Another thing I forgot to mention is the fact that hold baggage and transfers are automatically included in all packages. This isn't always the case with other operators. If they keep doing what they are doing, I see continued success in the future.