Robisintheair
Topic Author

#Star Alliance MEGADO - Melting pot for Avgeeks from all over the world

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 pm

Dear community, hello aviation enthusiasts,

in this very special report I want to share my impressions from the annual famous #Star Alliance Mega Do. It was my first time for being part of this very special event. I was waitlisted and only a few weeks earlier I had the opportunity to get a final ticket. So, what the hell is the #Star Alliance Mega Do? :D Imagine, you're picking all your aviation friends, charter an Airbus to fly across Europe and have a final sundowner on beautiful, unique place.

here are the link to the pictures:
:arrow: http://www.robisintheair.de/star-megado-2017/

The 8th #Star Mega Do this year took place in Vienna with Austrian Airlines, Brussels and finally Palma de Mallorca at the fabulous Park Hyatt Mallorca.

Off to Vienna

Munich isn't so far from Vienna, that I decided to went by train. The so called RailJet (ÖBB's leading train) took me in short 4 hrs from Munich main station to Vienna. I met there two friends and we stayed at The Ritz Carlton Vienna and our first evening was attended by a magnificent Steak and bottles of wine.

To be a guest of Austrian Airlines

We started in the Morning at the Austrian Airlines Conference Centre and became a warm welcome from Thommy, the organizer of this event. After some words about this day and the following days, Andreas Otto, the CCO of AUA gave us some informations about the past, present and future of his Airline. Then we started our guided tours in different groups. The first one became some insights of the Vienna Airport Operations. The second drove to the famous Do&Co catering company and me and my third group, we visited the Austrian Airlines maintenance facilities. A bit disappointing was the fact, that there was no wide body a/c, only the little Dash 8- Q400 and the new Addition, the brazilian princess, the E-195. Where we had the chance to make some cockpit and engine selfies. After a lunch, we saw the new premium economy class.

In the evening started the big "20 years of Star Alliance" party in the Vienna VIP Terminal with good conversations, lots of food and tons of Gin Tonic and Champagne :D. But a very important fact of the Star Mega Do is the charity concept. Several aviation and frequent flyer stuff were gonna to auction for Unicef. Lots of aircraft models and a Senator frequent flyer status became new owners.

Next stop Brussels

We had to be freaking early at the airport. Then today the highlight of this event will happen. After check-in we proceeded to the AUA Senator Lounge for a small breakfast. At our Gate waited a very special plane for us. The "TinTin" A320 of Brussels will fly us to Brussel. After everybody took place, the Airbus taxied to the runway and lifts off to Brussels. The atmosphere on board was playful. We became a small breakfast and champagne of course. As we arrived Brussels airport, we were picked up by some busses for a little airport tour. After lunch in the Brussels Airlines Lounge "The Loft" we boarded the next special Brussels Airlines Jet - "Magritte". The flight time to Palma was calculated with around 2,5 hrs. Enoch time to celebrate this event and the life. everybody stands in the galley and in the aisle. After we reached this popular island, I had the opportunity to talk to the copilot and take a seat in the cockpit.

Park Hyatt Mallroca

With a beautiful BMW 4 Series convertible, we drove to the other end of Mallorca. The Park Hyatt Mallorca is located in the hills of Canyamel. The Star Alliance Mega Do supporter were invited by the Hotel to a diner underneath the mediterran evening sky with some drinks. On the next day, after a fantastic breakfast, we get in touch with Hyatt, cooked a Paella made a Liquor and visited the Presidential Suite. After that, we said goodbye and the most of the peoples went to the Airport. I flew back to Munich with Transavia.

Thanks for reading, here are some pictures:
:arrow: http://www.robisintheair.de/star-megado-2017/

What do you think about the #Star Alliance Mega Do? Do you visited an other or a similar event?

KLDC10

Re: #Star Alliance MEGADO - Melting pot for Avgeeks from all over the world

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:21 pm

OK, let's practice my German to reply to you ;)

Vielen dank fuer diesen interresanten und detaillierten Bericht. Ich habe nie in einem aehnlichen Ereignis teilgenommen, aber es sieht sehr gut und angenehm aus. Aber ich konnte mir vorstellen, das diese Erfahrung ganz teuer und exclusiv war?

Ich habe besonders genossen, die Bilder von der Flugzeughalle. Sehr interessant ist es, diese Aspekt des Flugafens anzuschauen.

Danke noch einmal!
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

Robisintheair
Topic Author

Re: #Star Alliance MEGADO - Melting pot for Avgeeks from all over the world

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
OK, let's practice my German to reply to you ;)

Vielen dank fuer diesen interresanten und detaillierten Bericht. Ich habe nie in einem aehnlichen Ereignis teilgenommen, aber es sieht sehr gut und angenehm aus. Aber ich konnte mir vorstellen, das diese Erfahrung ganz teuer und exclusiv war?

Ich habe besonders genossen, die Bilder von der Flugzeughalle. Sehr interessant ist es, diese Aspekt des Flugafens anzuschauen.

Danke noch einmal!

Vielen Dank, dein Deutsch ist toll! :) Das Event ist sehr teuer (Economy Class 1.000 EUR plus Hotelübernachtung)

Thank you, your German is well! :) The Star Mega Do is very expensive. An Economy ticket starts at 1.000 EUR + inbound and outbound flight + several hotel stays. It was really exciting to stand next to an Boeing 777 GE-90 engine :D