Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Winter Break 2016 (3): Long haul middle seat - our first flight on Qatar Airways! (QR28 MAN-DOH, Y, Dec'16)

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Hey all, welcome to part three of what was a very shaky start to our trip to India in December 2016.
Following a 4.5 hour delay on American Eagle out of Fargo, what followed was a horrific time in line at Chicago Airport. There was a ray of hope as we got rebooked on to other flights, which started off with a jaunt across the Atlantic on a Boeing 757. What should've been my longest flight on a narrow body (EY256 AUH-CCU, A320) turned out to be an unexpected flight on a Qatar Airways B787 from Manchester to Doha....
Qatar Airways flight QR28
Manchester (UK) to Doha Hamad (Qatar)
December 20th 2016
1525 hours GMT - 0105 hours AST (+1)
Seat 12B, Economy Class
A7-BCQ, B787-8, (2.2 years old)
First flight Qatar Airways
Fourth oneworld airline partner
Fifth flight on the B787-8 Dream)liner
Longest flight in a middle seat :(
Flight record: https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/ ... /EGCC/OTHH

Video trip report link for this flight: https://youtu.be/8lEEUzy2r2Y

HELLO MANCHESTER!
I didn't get the time to find out online what ‘International transit in Manchester' would be like. Turns out, it was, in fact, an airside transfer. We waited in the pretty nice looking lounge area for a bit, where a bus would take us to transit security.

A fun bus ride around Manchester’s Terminal 3 followed - a final view of N196AA! :D
This also included some of Europe’s more prominent airlines such as FlyBE, Ryanair, Air France, British Airways etc. These planes were being filled up with passengers for their morning missions across Europe. Once we got to the the terminal, I insisted we were the last two to get off. I mean, there’s only so many ways one can make the most of a 7hr25min transit, right?! :D

N196AA would head to New York JFK as AA211

The other stuff...

AIRSIDE SECURITY
Security took fifteen to twenty minutes. It was a stringent process, but the people were willing to help us to make it an easy experience, for us and for themselves. This was an honest relief to experience, especially since the country I was in right before do tend to have some nightmarish lines…. Anyway.

TRANSIT @ MANCHESTER!
We were at another waiting area, this time it was just people heading to T2. Some of them were in fact on the Qatar Airways flight onwards to Doha!

Onboard the bus

This time, the planes we passed by were slightly more interesting: Allegiant Air lookalikes Jet2Holiday.com, albino Singapore Airlines 777-300ER to Houston, Virgin Atlantic 747, and a Saudia Dream)liner. By now I had done a decent job in teaching my girlfriend how to identify a Dream)liner - this worked out well! :D

We had to confirm our baggage tags with staff in the terminal, many announcements and signs said. Duly, we headed to the counter….but no one was there. I called up Qatar Airways agent, and they informed me to contact the ground staff before boarding. Perfect - time to spot some planes!

SPOTTING!
Now don't get me started as to how excited I was to log in a flight on Qatar Airways, and that too a Dream)liner. Having already had 4 Dream)liner flights logged on Air India, I was ready for another airlines' Dream)liner. My girlfriend however, didn't see the reason for my excitement. With that being said, some pictures of spotting -

To start off - Saudia flight SV124 to Jeddah. This beautiful B787-9 was just about ready to depart. We sat at a place right in front of its nose, however the arcade game section had a very catchy (but annoying :P) music playing - this would be stuck in our heads all the way to Kolkata.

In the mean time, a Pakistan International Airlines B777-200LR arrived: this would be the closest my girlfriend and I would get to a PIA bird! :P This was flight PK721 from Lahore to New York JFK via Manchester.

HZ-ARC was pushed back. It was quite a beautiful sight, and my girlfriend was excited by this too: we were just a few hours away from our first flight on Qatar Airways, and her first flight on the Dream)liner! Couple up this departure and the lovely American Airlines B787-8s from Chicago, my girlfriend could see a Dream)liner from a distance.

B757s are quite choice for American airlines to send over to Manchester, as this pencil jet was headed for Newark Liberty.

In midst of these two activities, Cathay’s B777-300ER was towed towards a gate, preparing for its 11.5 hour journey to Hong Kong.

Did I mention B757s were primarily flown in to the USA by American airlines? Scratch that, DL421 is from JFK is in fact operated by a B767-300ER! I have been on one of these, not a bad way to fly across the Atlantic in :)

Head on the inaugural customer of the B777-200LR

And to finish off this spotting, the Queen. This beautiful Virgin Atlantic B747-400 would head to Orlando as VS75. Clearly all people there were families: Disneyworld crowd!

At 1050 hours GMT we went ahead and checked out the duty free. If there was any where I could’ve made my first booze purchase, it would’ve been at Manchester. I thought better of it, seeing as the transit in Doha would be 17 hours long. Many people tried to lure us in, tempting as it was. Felt like a bunch of velociraptors chasing us lol.

We weren’t remarkably hungry. However, this did not stop me from finding some Trooper Beer, with minimal success. We finally decided to freshen up - time for a shirt change!
The camera IS my baby!

I heard the overly familiar sound of the 787 GEnx sounds. It was 1112 hours GMT. Of course, it was indeed A7-BCQ from Doha as QR27!

Darn, I just missed the magnificent arrival of this bird. Passengers were disembarking as other ground vehicles prepared for the long and relaxed turnaround for the aircraft.
A spree of images, if you don't mind :)

Right beside was a Thomson B757

WiFi worked great while it was free….but we had to use it a bit more. My girlfriend bought a 4 hour pack which was quite helpful. While she was awake, I tucked in to a nice 2 hour nap on the many chairs close to gate 214. One qualm about the Manchester: it was COLD. Almost felt like the heaters weren’t turned on, but then again we were in there for way too long. My girlfriend informed that a very elegant looking crew showed up and boarded the aircraft. There was a sudden surge in excitement as my first flight on Qatar Airways was not too far away.
One of the best wake ups to a nap is when you see the top of your airplane :)

Notice how Jet2Holiday has very similar liveries to Allegiant Air?

PRE-BOARDING, BOARDING, ONBOARD...
There was still the matter of ensuring our transfer baggage was going to make this flight. And so, we went ahead and spoke to the ground staff: her British accent caught us bewildered, but we finally got along. Awkward! Anyway, documents checked, we were all clear.

Empty gate area, before things got serious...

Zone wise boarding was announced at 1415 hours, and we joined in line. It wasn’t until 1430 hours till we boarded, since the line was long and clogged the jet bridge.

However, the crew welcomed us enthusiastically, it was setting up for a great flight…..in the middle seat. My girlfriend would be in 16E, and me in 12B. A red mood lighting was set as we found our way towards the middle seats. My girlfriend’s eyes lit up as she was quite amused by the interior of this fantastic plane! About 7.5 hours in the middle seat. This was going to be interesting.

My date with the window seat lasted for just five or seven minutes. There wasn’t too much to photograph anyway, as a young woman came and took seat 12A. And the first thing she did was dim the window to its lowest setting. Dang :(
Enjoy the short lived window view, of a now defunct airline....

Legroom - definitely tighter than on AA's Y+

Middle seat just for me, while it lasted...

I used this time to check out Qatar Airways’ IFE - Oryx. At the same time, I also appreciated the fact that I was onboard one of the planes on my delayed journey home, with my girlfriend in the same aircraft. The seat had a blanket, pillow and headphones already placed. IFE (Oryx entertainment) took its time to load, and was generally pretty laggy. Not good! However, the collection on it seemed to be quite decent, and I was looking forward to the next 7hrs in the middle seat.
IFE - my key to surviving the long haul in the middle seat...

Cabin of the Dream)liner

A WINDOW SEAT OPPORTUNITY I BIFFED?
The aisle seat was taken up by one of two brothers who were not too far away from us in line in Chicago. The other sibling was in seat 11A. This got me thinking - had we not made the mistake of somehow just showing up in the line that never was, maybe just maybe I would’ve been in seat 11A. Ah well, that’s life. I was thankful to be onboard and all set for my first flight with Qatar Airways!

Captain made his briefing a few minutes before departure: our flight time would be 6hr45min (the longest flight during the week) to Doha, at an altitude of 39000 feet before climbing up to 41000 feet. (Psst - is it just me or do most Dream)liner flights climb very high up?! Even my domestic flights on AI went up to 41000 feet!)In the midst of all this, the crew handed out refresher towels - wow, and I thought this was all done away with ;)
Our flight was codesharing with American Airlines, British Airways and….SriLankan Airlines! I had a smile on my face as this was announced.

The safety video was…interesting. Being a title sponsor for FC Barcelona, they made good use of this to make the safety video. It was quite nice and innovative, however not being a soccer fan myself, some things were overdone I felt. This was played after an Islamic Travel Prayer.

DEPARTURE
We pushed back at 1522 hours, two minutes after scheduled departure time. The GEnx engines fired up: no, the rattle was not as loud as on the Charleston-built birds (Air India), the cabin seemed to be more ‘held together’ this time. A slow taxi to Runway 23R followed. Taxiing by the Etihad A330-200 was a mixed feeling - I would’ve been in Kolkata by then, however, I was here on my first flight with Qatar. Trying my best not being any forms of weird, I kept looking out the window. I recalled some of the locations from a video recording that my father took in 2000, as he flew from Manchester to Dubai on an Emirates A330-200. We rolled down the runway at 1541 hours in to the darkening skies over England. Flight two of three to India, the longest one!

INFLIGHT
There was some turbulence that we fought through as we climbed through the clouds. It got even darker outside, but that didn’t stop my seat mate in 12A to dim the window at the first attempt. Dang it! The crew found it tricky to hold on during turbulence while confirming special meal orders with many passengers.
Moodlighting being used big time.

Just under an hour after take off, dinner was served. There were three options! Beef, Asian Chicken with rice, or vegetarian. I went for the beef. Suffice to say, it was nothing less than absolutely astonishing. Perhaps one of the better meals I have had onboard a plane! Couscous salad to kick things off, which was at just the right temperature. The braised beef had grain mustard gravy to go with it, which went well together. The mashed potatoes and vegetables also complimented the meal well. Vodka and sprite was the perfect accompaniment. And finally, the pineapple raisin cake (albeit warm) was very nice. All in all, great stuff from Qatar Airways!

Meal tray, as received.

Silverware!

Main course

Dessert - kitkat and pineapple raisin cake

WiFi on Qatar Airways' B787 seemed a bit more on the expensive side...

5hr17min to arrival, I went through the IFE. As mentioned, while it was a little slow on start up, it worked great after loading and the content was more than wonderful. The crew came around and collected the food trays, and offered more drinks. I took a cognac. I turned on Bob’s Burgers and fell asleep to it. This worked out well - an alcohol induced nap that lasted a good 1.5-2 hours!
Headset

A delicious meal - polished!

IFE content and map

Flight route

Bob's Burgers

Cognac

There was 3hr40min to go when I woke up. I tried some features on the IFE, such as the onboard services/dining menu - there was nothing there.

I put on Mrs. Doubtfire, one of my all time favorite movies, and headed for the restroom after a while.

Darkened cabin -

Restroom, very well kept

LED lighting

I called my girlfriend back to the rear section of the plane - we hung around by door 3R for some time - there was a huge amount of legroom, and it seemed like the passengers did not mind as much (knowing that standing there is not the best idea, and apparently outlawed on flights to and from the USA…). We spent a good 30-35 minutes there, just checking on each other - she was loving the Boeing 787!

Back in the seat, I checked out the wifi options for the flight - the plans didn’t seem very attractive to me, so I continued to watch Mrs. Doubtfire. A quick hot snack was served, and this was pretty good as well. It was a chicken and chickpea Arabic pastry with a mango, apricot and coconut sponge cake. This was served at 2335 hours AST.

Power port just under the seat

DESCENT AND ARRIVAL
We prepared for arrival an hour after, and soon lined up with Ruwany 34R of Doha’s Hamad International Airport. A smooth touchdown was made at 0125 hours, twenty minutes after scheduled arrival time.

As the windows fogged and the cabin crew talked about their ‘world gateway Hamad Intl. Airport’, I reflected on what a fantastic first flight I had with Qatar Airways. The lovely food, decent IFE, and a very pleasent cabin crew attitude went a long way, in addition to the little things such as comfortable seats and the refresher towel, my first flight with Qatar Airways made sure I was pumped for my next flight….in about 17 hours.

We docked at gate A7. I had told my girlfriend that we’d much rather wait for all passengers to get off before we’d even move…except I realized I had to move for the lady next to me. Finally disembarked and thanked the crew, we were guided straight in to the departures area, no need for transit security, strangely. I wonder what happened here! A7-BCQ was then parked for a flight to Windhoek, Namibia. Found an information desk, hoping to get some information about a hotel stay if possible. 0146 hours AST, Doha Hamad Intl was nowhere close to asleep…

CONCLUSION
All in all, a superb first flight on Qatar Airways. My only gripe was the slow loading IFE which was surprising given 'relatively new' the aircraft was. In addition, the crew did not seem to be as accommodating towards the middle portion of the flight. Negatives aside, on time, lovely food, decent IFE and crew were attentive for the parts they were around. Spending nearly a day in Hamad Intl. wasn't as fun, but do stay tuned as to how it panned out!

As always, thanks to TG with the editing of this report!
In the next part - stay tuned for the long 17 hour layover in Doha Hamad Intl, the things we did, the things we didn't do, and the things we could've done, and the last flight home after what had been a very eventful start to our winter break....

My other trip reports:
Winter Break 2016 (2): Pencil Jet across the Atlantic (AA54 MAN-ORD, Y+, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (1): The Frozen Embraer Delay - missed connection! (FAR-ORD, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with N891GA, to divert or not to divert (LAS-GFK Nov '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with Allegiant! (Part 1, many pictures) (video trip report)
The day I flew the world's most popular plane (GFK-FAR-CKN-GFK, C172)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 14: Delta Connection, a quick hop in the Midwest! (MSP - GFK, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 13: Super old, Super 80, Mad Dog Across the Midwest! (AA ORD-MSP, Aug'16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 12: Flying the Friendly Skies... (United Munich to Chicago, Aug '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 11: Epic Lufthansa, Epic A340! (Delhi to Munich, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 10: Konnect, Lite, Delight...(S2 B73H CCU-DEL, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 9: Take me home, Vistara! (DEL-CCU, Jul '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 8: Vistara's INAUGURAL flight out of Kolkata! (CCU-DEL, Jun '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 7: Efficient IndiGo! (Mumbai to Kolkata, A320, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 6: Big delays, cracked windshield, angry passengers (SG CCU-BOM B73J) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 5: Air India's domestic Dream)liner (DEL-CCU May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 4: Nearly First Class - stories of the empty A380! (LH FRA-DEL May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 3: World's longest jet, Lufthansa's B748i! (ORD-FRA May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 2: ChicaGO on United's A319! (MSP-ORD, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 1: Sun rise onboard the long range CRJ (DL GFK-MSP CRJ-900, May '16) (video trip report)
The pencil jet(s) for spring break! (+ Iron Maiden bonus): Delta MSP-FLL-MSP, March '16 (DL1608 video trip report, DL2027 video trip report)
De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16) (ORD-MSP video report) (MSP-GFK video report)
Delta's aged B767-300ER across the Atlantic! (CDG-ORD in Y, Jan '16) (video report)
Air France's NEW Economy (B777-200ER, Bengaluru to Paris, Jan '16) (video report)
Delays and despair: stressed out in the middle seat! (Jet Airways B737 Mumbai - Bengaluru, Jan '16)
Air India's hybrid babybus from Kolkata to Mumbai (Jan '16, Y) (video report)

South Africa 3: 12 days in Scintillating South Africa (Kruger, Kulula and Rand Airport, Apr' 12, LONG!)
South Africa 2: Elegant Emirates Economy! (DXB-CPT, B77W, Apr '12)
South Africa 1: My first flight on Emirates, my first flight on the 777 (CMB-DXB, Apr '12)

International transit with Jet Airways (BOM-MAA-CMB, Oct. '11)
Konnecting to Bhubaneswar (9W BOM-BBI-BOM, Jul '11)
Three trips between India and Sri Lanka (9W BOM-CMB-BOM: Jun '11, Jul '11, Oct. 11)
To India's Orange City: Mumbai - Nagpur - Mumbai on Jetlite & Tadoba National Park (May 2011)
My last flight on Kingfisher Airlines (and 2 other Jet flights, May '11)

toby25

Re: Winter Break 2016 (3): Long haul middle seat - our first flight on Qatar Airways! (QR28 MAN-DOH, Y, Dec'16)

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:55 am

Perfect TR. I am very jealous that I have not yet sampled the B787. All my flights recently tend to be on A330 or A321. It was interesting to see the transfer facility at MAN as I wasn't aware they was a transfer lounge. I expected that most passengers arriving into MAN would be heading to the arrivals hall. I suppose the transfer is quicker at MAN than it is at LHR!

Having such a long layover in the MAN did you not want to take a train into Manchester city for a couple of hours rather than staying airside? I believe there are frequent services to Manchester city so getting to and from the airport should be easy.

MAN T2 is kind of a boring terminal so I am surprised your g/f kept herself amused whilst you were plane spotting lol. Miss the CX777 at MAN.

How long is QR on the ground before its return flight?

I would have been a bit grumpy having to be in the middle seat. Did you get both armrests? Kind of an unwritten rule: middle seaters get both arm rests lol.

Will check out your other reports too. Kinda delved into this one from the start.

Thanks

DAIAM2002

Re: Winter Break 2016 (3): Long haul middle seat - our first flight on Qatar Airways! (QR28 MAN-DOH, Y, Dec'16)

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Hey PAL,

was a joy to read again.
Yes my Girlfriend can't understand my excitement about some a/c as well.

igtrader88

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:32 pm

thank you and waiting for the conclusion to the series!

N415XJ

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks for the continuation of an awesome series. Your reports hit the right balance of great images and a well-written, interesting story. In fact, it's inspired me to acutally write a trip report one of these days, something I've been wanting to do before every trip for years.

CollegeAviator wrote:

Resting your toothbrush directly on a baby changing table in an airport is probably not the best idea :crazy:

directorguy

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 am

Lovely trip report, your enthusiasm clearly comes across!
How did you find the seat on the 787? Comfortable for a 7 hour flight?

evank516

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Again, great trip report. You have quite the girlfriend to put up with your avgeekiness! Then again it seems she's ended up with quite a gentleman as well. I'm certainly admiring your trip and your relationship!

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 pm

toby25 wrote:
Perfect TR. I am very jealous that I have not yet sampled the B787. All my flights recently tend to be on A330 or A321. It was interesting to see the transfer facility at MAN as I wasn't aware they was a transfer lounge. I expected that most passengers arriving into MAN would be heading to the arrivals hall. I suppose the transfer is quicker at MAN than it is at LHR!

Hi there, thank you very much for checking out this flight report! You will get your time on a B787 soon :)
It wasn't a lounge so to speak, just a swanky waiting area, and I quite liked it! Transfers would probably be much much quicker than at LHR, even on a busy day at MAN, I would imagine.

toby25 wrote:
Having such a long layover in the MAN did you not want to take a train into Manchester city for a couple of hours rather than staying airside? I believe there are frequent services to Manchester city so getting to and from the airport should be easy.

I did not have an appropriate visa for this :(

toby25 wrote:
MAN T2 is kind of a boring terminal so I am surprised your g/f kept herself amused whilst you were plane spotting lol. Miss the CX777 at MAN.

How she puts up with me, I do not know, LOL!

toby25 wrote:
How long is QR on the ground before its return flight?

Roughly six hours, I do believe...

toby25 wrote:
I would have been a bit grumpy having to be in the middle seat. Did you get both armrests? Kind of an unwritten rule: middle seaters get both arm rests lol.

It doesn't take my long to understand the body language of my seat mates. A response to a quick hi or hello is always appreciated, but it wasn't the case on this one, and so I gave up any hope of the arm rest. R.U.D.E :(

toby25 wrote:
Will check out your other reports too. Kinda delved into this one from the start.

A lot more that will come around! Thanks for checking this one out! :)

DAIAM2002 wrote:
Hey PAL,

was a joy to read again.
Yes my Girlfriend can't understand my excitement about some a/c as well.

Hey there, thank you so much! Yeah, she does put up with a lot, LOL! :D

igtrader88 wrote:
thank you and waiting for the conclusion to the series!

Thank you for reading! A lot more to come around :)

N415XJ wrote:
Thanks for the continuation of an awesome series. Your reports hit the right balance of great images and a well-written, interesting story. In fact, it's inspired me to acutally write a trip report one of these days, something I've been wanting to do before every trip for years.

That's very heartening to know, thank you so so much! I do look forward to reading your report, too!

N415XJ wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

Resting your toothbrush directly on a baby changing table in an airport is probably not the best idea :crazy:

I did set it there after using it, and threw it away after realizing the complete idiotic act that I performed. I also took it a step ahead and wiped it down with a sanitary napkin. That was perhaps as clean as the table got :D

directorguy wrote:
Lovely trip report, your enthusiasm clearly comes across!
How did you find the seat on the 787? Comfortable for a 7 hour flight?

Thank you very much for reading this flight trip report! I truly appreciate your comments.
The seat was at best, OK. Never ideal being in the middle seat, so adjusting to the most comfortable angle was a bit tricky, but once I got there, I was pretty stable. Not the best, but pretty decent.

evank516 wrote:
Again, great trip report. You have quite the girlfriend to put up with your avgeekiness! Then again it seems she's ended up with quite a gentleman as well. I'm certainly admiring your trip and your relationship!

Aww thank you so much! She puts up with way too much - the number of middle seats, the number of number of useless aviation facts, etc....
However, I made sure this was all worth it once back in India. Do stay tuned for more! :)

c152sy

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you for your very nice report! MAN is sort of my hometown airport in the UK so its good to see it feature on here. I took their MAN-DOH flight back in 2013 when it was operated by the A330 and the service pretty much looks unchanged since then. Not that that is a bad thing though!

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:04 am

c152sy wrote:
Thank you for your very nice report! MAN is sort of my hometown airport in the UK so its good to see it feature on here. I took their MAN-DOH flight back in 2013 when it was operated by the A330 and the service pretty much looks unchanged since then. Not that that is a bad thing though!

Thanks for checking out this flight report! In fact, QR seem to be alternating between their B787 and A330 on a number of routes, and MAN-DOH seems to be one of them. They recently swapped back to the B787 after a summer full of A330 flights between Manchester an Doha. Quite liked QR, for sure!

eastafspot

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Another great report CollegeAviator
Us, A.netters, rarely read an international transit at MAN. Cold T°C aside, your experience seems fine especially when you can do some spotting with various aircraft shapes/liveries!
At least for your first with QR, you scored a very elegant dreamliner imo!
I did not have the opportunity to go through all your reports but maybe you can explain briefly why your girlfriend could not sit next to you onboard?
Thanks for sharing

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:29 am

eastafspot wrote:
Another great report CollegeAviator

Thank you so much!

eastafspot wrote:
Us, A.netters, rarely read an international transit at MAN. Cold T°C aside, your experience seems fine especially when you can do some spotting with various aircraft shapes/liveries!

Very true! It was a decent transit at MAN - wouldn't mind heading back there again :)

eastafspot wrote:
At least for your first with QR, you scored a very elegant dreamliner imo!

This is very true! Love the Dream)liner!

eastafspot wrote:
I did not have the opportunity to go through all your reports but maybe you can explain briefly why your girlfriend could not sit next to you onboard?
Thanks for sharing

Long story short - American Eagle let a ERJ-145 in Fargo freeze over, got delayed by 4.5 hours which meant we missed our Etihad Airways flight over to Abu Dhabi (from Chicago) and then Kolkata. Got pushed around left right and center by terrible ORD staff (AA or otherwise), and then we waited in line for 6-7 hours. Rebooked on to a new itinerary (AA MAN-ORD B757, QR MAN-DOH-CCU B787), and all was well, reached home 2.5 days later!

DO check out my other reports, too!

Thanks,
CA