drian02
Topic Author

Air China Economy Class on Boeing 787-9: Frankfurt to Beijing

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 am

This time I present you a report on one of the most modern aircraft of the moment: an Air China Boeing 787-9. The route chosen is from Frankfurt to Beijing.

The flight started in an unusual way. Once at the boarding gate, the ground crew began to call all the passengers who had arrived in Frankfurt by connecting flights. The reason for the call was to personally review the passports of each passenger. This caused a delay of 20 minutes on the boarding time.

Once inside the plane you could clearly see that it was one of airplane's first flights. At the time of this flight, this B789 was barely 2 months old and, to date, had only made domestic flights in China.

In economy class the airplane is configured 3-3-3 with a space between seats quite tight for a 9 hours flight. One point in favor of the seats is that they have footrest.

Imagel by Adri C, en Flickr

Once finished the boarding we head towards RWY 07C for take off with 40 min of delay with respect to the scheduled time. In the video review of this flight you can see how the wing bends in this magnificent plane. In addition to beautiful views of downtown Frankfurt.

After an hour of flight, the crew begins with the food service. First the drinks are served and later the food consisting of: Potato salad and prawns as a starter, chicken with rice and vegetables as main course and a cheese cake and blackberries as dessert. The quality of food has nothing to do with that of other companies like Lufthansa or Qatar Airways.

Imagec1 by Adri C, en Flickr

The tourist cabin is quite spacious even though the flight was completely full.

Imagec by Adri C, en Flickr

2 hours before landing in Beijing the second meal service is served. In this case it is composed of the same salad of potatoes and prawns as a starter, a main dish of pasta with tomato and pesto and fruit salad as dessert.

Imagec2 by Adri C, en Flickr

The personal entertainment screen includes a wide variety of international films, emphasizing Chinese national films. The quality of the screen is the standard for long-haul flights on any other airline, although the possibility of accessing the aircraft's outer camera views is missing.

Imagep by Adri C, en Flickr

We finally landed in Beijing on schedule.

As important points to highlight, the meal service is a bit repetitive, including the same entree in the two services. Also given the flight schedule, the second meal service should have been a breakfast (arrival at 05:20 am).

About the crew, from my point of view, they made no effort to understand the requests of the passengers who spoke in English and seemed to treat Chinese passengers better than others, this may be due to a low level of English of the crew, something incomprehensible in the aeronautical industry.

Another negative point, in this case with respect to the plane. As you know, the windows of the B787 can be obscured and blocked by the crew. In my case it was the second time they were blocked for landing on a B787.

However, Air China offers quite acceptable price-quality ratio for flights to China, also offering good rates to connect with any Asian city.

Here is the link to the Video Review of this trip: https://youtu.be/M1916-1j6AE

Hope you like it!
You can watch my reviews on LEBB Aviation

AR385

Re: Air China Economy Class on Boeing 787-9: Frankfurt to Beijing

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:39 pm

drian02 wrote:
This time I present you a report on one of the most modern aircraft of the moment: an Air China Boeing 787-9. The route chosen is from Frankfurt to Beijing.

The flight started in an unusual way. Once at the boarding gate, the ground crew began to call all the passengers who had arrived in Frankfurt by connecting flights. The reason for the call was to personally review the passports of each passenger. This caused a delay of 20 minutes on the boarding time.

Once inside the plane you could clearly see that it was one of airplane's first flights. At the time of this flight, this B789 was barely 2 months old and, to date, had only made domestic flights in China.

In economy class the airplane is configured 3-3-3 with a space between seats quite tight for a 9 hours flight. One point in favor of the seats is that they have footrest.

Imagel by Adri C, en Flickr

Once finished the boarding we head towards RWY 07C for take off with 40 min of delay with respect to the scheduled time. In the video review of this flight you can see how the wing bends in this magnificent plane. In addition to beautiful views of downtown Frankfurt.

After an hour of flight, the crew begins with the food service. First the drinks are served and later the food consisting of: Potato salad and prawns as a starter, chicken with rice and vegetables as main course and a cheese cake and blackberries as dessert. The quality of food has nothing to do with that of other companies like Lufthansa or Qatar Airways.

Imagec1 by Adri C, en Flickr

The tourist cabin is quite spacious even though the flight was completely full.

Imagec by Adri C, en Flickr

2 hours before landing in Beijing the second meal service is served. In this case it is composed of the same salad of potatoes and prawns as a starter, a main dish of pasta with tomato and pesto and fruit salad as dessert.

Imagec2 by Adri C, en Flickr

The personal entertainment screen includes a wide variety of international films, emphasizing Chinese national films. The quality of the screen is the standard for long-haul flights on any other airline, although the possibility of accessing the aircraft's outer camera views is missing.

Imagep by Adri C, en Flickr

We finally landed in Beijing on schedule.

As important points to highlight, the meal service is a bit repetitive, including the same entree in the two services. Also given the flight schedule, the second meal service should have been a breakfast (arrival at 05:20 am).

About the crew, from my point of view, they made no effort to understand the requests of the passengers who spoke in English and seemed to treat Chinese passengers better than others, this may be due to a low level of English of the crew, something incomprehensible in the aeronautical industry.

Another negative point, in this case with respect to the plane. As you know, the windows of the B787 can be obscured and blocked by the crew. In my case it was the second time they were blocked for landing on a B787.

However, Air China offers quite acceptable price-quality ratio for flights to China, also offering good rates to connect with any Asian city.

Here is the link to the Video Review of this trip: https://youtu.be/M1916-1j6AE

Hope you like it!

Well. It seems another case of getting what you paid for.

345tas

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 am

Wait so they "close the windowshades" for landing? That would be so annoying.

CollegeAviator

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 am

Nice report.

Seems like the product on Air China's B787s is quite standard, nothing too extravagant.

triley1057

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 am

Good report! Interesting about the windows. Last year we flew China Eastern from Frankfurt to Shanghai on an A330. We took off from Frankfurt at 10 in the morning and 15 minutes after take off the cabin crew walked down the aisles and reached over every one by the windows and slammed the shades down! I asked why and it was so "people can sleep." This happened on the following 3 flights with them as well.

This was one among many other reasons that I would not fly a mainland Chinese carrier again.

bgboiflyer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:03 pm

triley1057 wrote:
Good report! Interesting about the windows. Last year we flew China Eastern from Frankfurt to Shanghai on an A330. We took off from Frankfurt at 10 in the morning and 15 minutes after take off the cabin crew walked down the aisles and reached over every one by the windows and slammed the shades down! I asked why and it was so "people can sleep." This happened on the following 3 flights with them as well.

This was one among many other reasons that I would not fly a mainland Chinese carrier again.

You need to try XiamenAir or Hainan

They have really good service and on their Xiamen's 787 they dim the shades to a darker color and you can adjust it. Also they are very courteous and cordial to most passengers on both airlines

CyBeRino

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 am

triley1057 wrote:

At least in those cases you can open them again if you want. The centralised control on the 787 on the other hand means the crew can force your window shade "shut" (of course actually only dark), and you can't do anything about it. Not a good idea by Boeing if you ask me, and I'm glad Airbus went with traditional shades on the A350.

lychemsa

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:37 am

Legroom is crummy like Lufthansa.