Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Arq
Topic Author

4 flights to hunt for TG 787-9 New Business Class

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 am

Hello all fellow members,

Thai Airways has just taken delivery of one (from two ordered) 787-9 registered HS-TWA. Delivery flight arrived Bangkok on 16th September 2017 and scheduled to fly inaugural flight on 23rd September as TG 102 Bangkok – Chiang Mai. The aircraft’s entire domestic service consist of TG102/103 TG110/111 (Bangkok – Chiang Mai v.v.) TG220/221 (Bangkok – Phuket v.v.) until the end of September. Cabin configuration is 30 Business Class in Reverse Herringbone (1-2-1) layout and 268 Economy class in 3-3-3 layout.

My personal bucket list is to tryout all of the Business Class seat installed in Thai Airways fleet (which we already have 3 versions – Cradle seat in 744 and A330, B/E Aerospace Diamond in 787, Stelia’s Solstys in 77W /380) and we are adding 4th versions – Zodiac Cirrus Reverse Herringbone seat with the introduction of B787-9 . So I found myself reserving a seat on TG 102 (23 Sep on Business Class ) and TG 111 (24 Sep on Economy Class).

It turn out to be a hectic and (unpleasant) surprising trip. Anyway, let’s get the hunt begin.

24 hours prior to the flight, I promptly complete my online check in, got my preferred seat (the one that I already made sure to be a “window seat with window”. e-boarding pass is already in my wallet app. Everything looks great. I prepare to get to bed and ready for tomorrow’s early flight

Image1 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Then the horror begin. Some of my fellow aviation enthusiast message me and remind me to check my itinerary again. The aircraft type was changed to 777-300er as TG cannot yet obtain approval for some kind of crucial document from Government Agency. I quickly revisit my check in and sure enough. The seat layout has been completely changed to a sadly familiar Solstys Stagger seat

Image2 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

As most of you guys might be already familiar with that seat, I will just go roughly through the flight, giving general idea about the service. You can guess that I am not really in the mood for photos after such disappointment.

Image3 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image4 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image5 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image6 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image7 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

My flight back, TG 111 on the following day (24th Sep) does not surprise me. B787-9 already start flying in the afternoon of 23rd Sep. However, I did book economy class for this returning flight. So again I miss my point of this journey.

Anyway, here she comes.

Image10 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Flight information
Airlines : Thai Airways
Flight : TG 111
To : Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport ( BKK/ VTBS )
Date : 24 September 2017
Departure Gate : 5
Boarding Time : 16.50 hrs.
Departure Time : 15.10 hrs.
Actual Departure Time : 15.23 hrs.
Flight Duration : 1.10 hrs.
Arrival Time : 16.28 hrs.
Arrival Gate : A3
Aircraft : B797-9
Name : Phatthana Nikhom
Class : Economy Class
Seat : 61 A

Image9 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Boarding begin approximately 15.00, into a cramp 3-3-3 set layout in typical 787 economy class cabin. I select the furthest aft windows seat which the aircraft curvature force the reduction of seat to 2-3-2 across

Despite the cramp configuration, the color scheme looks great, I had to admit.

Image12 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Seat pitch is 32 inches, quite standard and reasonably comfortable (if we can disregard tight shoulder room)

Image16 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

IFE is the latest Panasonic EX3 with a USB. There are 2 Power outlets for each of 3 seat set, and fold up footrest

Image17 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image18 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image19 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image20 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Toward runway and take off roll

Image13 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image14 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image15 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Snack and refreshment service begin afterward – a usual Stromboli Sandwich. This time a Chicken Teriyaki sauce filling served with a bottled water. There is also a round of tea/coffee/juice service.

Image22 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image23 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

A quick toilet visit, which is nothing to write home about.

Image24 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image25 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image26 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Then it’s time for an descending/ landing

Image27 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image28 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image29 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

The following week (30 Sep/1 Oct) I tried my luck again. This time I reserve both outgoing and incoming flight in Business class, just in case. The 789 fly this route inconsistently, being absent for a few days here and there but my flight seemed to be fine.
24 hours before flight time, I faced a surprise of my life. My paid, and confirmed ticket was changed to Standby. I cannot complete internet check in, and will only be allocated a seat at the airport. What?????

Image30 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

A few phone call an hour (total of 20ish call within that day), a few discussion with my travel agent does not seemed to work. At the end of the day, I travel to airport and approach a check in agent, insist that I be checked in for the flight with boarding pass issued.

Image31 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Several minutes of awkward multi-department coordination, I got what I need. With boarding pass in my hand, I go back home and get ready for the flight, still fully frustrate of what is going to happen tomorrow morning.

Early next morning, I travel to BKK airport, checking that the flight still operate as scheduled (it is), aircraft is still 787-9 (it is), drop my bag and settle in the lounge.

Image32 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image33 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image34 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image35 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image36 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Flight information
Airlines : Thai Airways
Flight : TG 102
To : Chiang Mai International Airport ( CNX/ VTCC)
Date : 30 September 2017
Departure Gate : A5
Boarding Time : 07.05 hrs.
Departure Time : 07.55 hrs.
Actual Departure Time : 08.28hrs.
Flight Duration : 1.10 hrs.
Arrival Time : 09.15 hrs.
Arrival Gate : 6
Aircraft : B797-9
Name : Phatthana Nikhom
Class : Royal Silk Class
Seat : 19A

Image37A by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Proceed to the gate, and boarding without any (further) event

Image37 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Reverse Herringbone seat does not seemed that much different from other airlines’ seat I have read about. But I am a bit disappointed that, despite a more modern look and more storage space, it feel more cramp than stagger seat that I am familiar. Back massage function are missing too.

Image38 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image39 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image40 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image41 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image41 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image42 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image43 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image44 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Hot Towel and welcome drink to begin with

Image45 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Push back and taxi to runway

Image46 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image47 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image49 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Take off clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLZ498fEHiw

I played around with the famous electronic dimming function. For the seat without direct sunlight, it looks fine.

Image50 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Playing around with different seat position. Personally, I think this seat is not my most preferred one. It’s fine for long haul, but it’s a bit cramp when comparing to the older stagger seat we also have.

Image51 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image52 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image53 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Toilet is exactly the same as Economy class, with just addition of a bottle of Eau de Toilette

Image54 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image55 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Meal service begin; Mushroom and Cheese Omelet, Chicken Sausage, long bean, tomatoes, Chinese donut, Croissant and mixed fruit jelly.

Image56 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Slightly after the meal tray is cleared, we begin descending

Image57 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Landing clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFSqoqluxg

Image58 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Farewell to HS-TWA at CNX airport

Image59 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Bonus – Flight back to Bangkok on 777-300er, 1st October as TG117
I arrive at Chiang Mai airport expecting a flight back home to depart at 19.20. But it turn out that boarding was rescheduled to 19.40. Minor delay I presume.

Image60 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Thai Airways Lounge is now closed for renovation. So a part of Antiquate Thai Airways Restaurant is blocked for Business Class passenger service. This result in an even lower variety of snack/ drink than usual (which is already minimal), but one hot dish is available for each C passenger’s selection.

Image61 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image62 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image63 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image64 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Our boarding time keep pushing back, and I overheard their communication radio instructing lounge attendant to located some connecting passenger and transfer them to Thai Smile fight or TG flight that is supposed to depart after us. I am not in a hurry but the wait in this uncomfortable makeshift lounge is quite boring.

Boarding begin at 21.00 with total delay of 1 hour 40 minutes

Image65 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

A bit of inflight service, in a more comfortable seat (with my favorite massage function), larger table and more premium looking restroom

Image66 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image66A by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image67 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image68 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image69 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image70 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image71 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image71 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Image72 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

Finally arrive at Bangkok Airport. I would like to conclude my long review here. Thank you for visiting my thread.

Image73 by Nuti DAMRONGPHATR, on Flickr

theobcman

Re: 4 flights to hunt for TG 787-9 New Business Class

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Good report & pictures. Pleased you eventually got the 789 after all the drama ! These domestic wide bodies are great !! Cheers

hirofumi

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the report! I'm glad that finally a star alliance carrier in Asia has installed the reverse-Herringbone seats! I wonder if the -9 will ever operate to Tokyo... fingers crossed!

injian

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:50 pm

thanks for the TR. awesome to see that TG is still TG-ing people. :)

thaiflyer

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:00 am

hirofumi wrote:
Thanks for the report! I'm glad that finally a star alliance carrier in Asia has installed the reverse-Herringbone seats! I wonder if the -9 will ever operate to Tokyo... fingers crossed!

I think that he made a mistake as the Thai 787 does not have reversed facing honeycomb seats. (unless i flew on a different airplane that is)

Arq
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:35 am

theobcman wrote:
Good report & pictures. Pleased you eventually got the 789 after all the drama ! These domestic wide bodies are great !! Cheers

Thank you, and glad you enjoy the review

hirofumi wrote:

I've heard that the beginning route will be Singapore and Taipei, and then to Auckland. Not sure if there will be any Tokyo schedule squeeze in between. Considering Tokyo is a premium destination, I think there's high chance

injian wrote:
thanks for the TR. awesome to see that TG is still TG-ing people. :)

Thanks. We Thais have got a joke that TG stand for "Tomorrow Go" which dated back in the era that Low Cost does not exist, and Thai Airways always delay and people tease them a lot. Are we talking about the same thing? Lol

thaiflyer wrote:
I think that he made a mistake as the Thai 787 does not have reversed facing honeycomb seats. (unless i flew on a different airplane that is)

I wonder does "he" referring to me? and what is reversed facing honeycomb seats. I tried to google it but to no avail. But I assume that you are talking about the seat similar to British Airways Club World? Where seats are staggered and face each other.

In that case, no, I am not talking about BA ClubWorld style seat. I am talking about Reverse Herringbone similar to Qatar Airway's current 787 seat, which is also debut in our 787-9 just a few weeks before (first commercial flight on 23rd Sep to be exact). I am sure I did not misunderstand seat type or aircraft type, but it's probably my language that get you guys lost. English is my second language and I guess I might sound confusing here and there, sorry.

777Jet

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Sawasdee Khrap (G'day from Australia) again Khun Arq!

Great trip report and the pics make the new TG 789 J product look well worth trying out.

Keep the trip reports coming. Khob Khun Khrap & Chok Dee Khrap! :)