KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:17 pm

This thread replaces the previous post.

DL539
Airport of Departure: Atlanta Hartsfield International (ATL)
Airport of Arrival: Boston Logan International (BOS)
Airline: Delta Air Lines
Alliance: Skyteam
Aircraft Type: Airbus A321-200 (Mobile, AL)
Aircraft First Flight: 28th March 2017
Aircraft Registration: N319DN
Aircraft Name: N/A
Cabin: First
Seat Number: 4A
Seat Position: Window
Date of Departure: 28th August 2017
Scheduled Time of Departure: 18:00
Gate of Departure: B18
Date of Arrival: 28th August 2017
Scheduled Time of Arrival: 20:45
Gate of Arrival: A15
Miles Flown: 946

Welcome to the report. You can find the most important details about this flight in the list above. Now some background:
This flight was my second flight of the day, but the previous flight was only a short hop on an MD-90. I'm a big fan of McDonnell Douglas aircraft, but I figured readers wouldn't be that interested in reading about a short domestic flight like that, so I have decided to focus on my flight aboard Delta's new A321. Hope you enjoy the report.

Image

Above: The view from Seat 4A. Boarding began at around 17:20, in advance of our scheduled departure time of 18:00. The gate area was really quite chaotic, with lots of people milling around and jostling for prime position in their respective boarding zones. When the Premium zone was called, I found myself repeating the words "excuse me" and "sorry" over and over again until I had made my way through the crowd. I really don't see why people don't remain seated until their zone is called. Not to rant, but everyone is going to get on the plane eventually, and everyone has a seat assignment. So long as you're present at the gate in time, it isn't going to go without you. Just exercise some patience!

Now, a little bit of information about the aircraft: This particular airframe, N319DN, first flew on 28th March 2017. It was delivered to Delta on 13th April 2017, making it less than half a year old - almost brand new! Particularly noteworthy is the fact that, although this aircraft is indeed an Airbus A321, it was built in the USA at Airbus' Mobile, AL assembly line, which was opened in September 2015.

Image

Above: A view of the First Class cabin during the boarding process. At each seat, every passenger was provided with a small bottle of water, along with a pillow and blanket. As the photograph shows, the cabin is very pleasant indeed; featuring contoured overhead bins, personal IFE screens at every 21 inch-wide seat (with USB port), 37 inches of seat pitch and individual A/C power ports. The experience is also good for economy passengers, who likewise enjoy personal IFE screens and USB ports, along with 18 inch-wide seats - nearly a full inch wider than those on the Boeing 737. The overall cabin ambience is excellent.

As I settled in, pre-departure beverages were offered by the friendly lead Flight Attendant. I chose red wine and received a full glass, which I enjoyed as boarding progressed.

As it turned out, we were ready for departure a full seven minutes ahead of schedule. The Captain soon made an announcement to explain that, even though this flight was scheduled to take 2hr45, we would fly up the East Coast in a speedy 1hr53 on account of good tailwinds from Hurricane Harvey. The safety video was then played on the IFE system, followed by pushback and engine start.

Image

Above: The safety card.

Image

Above: Made in the USA!

Image

Above: Taxiing past N913DE en-route to Runway 8R. This MD-88 was delivered new to Delta on 10th February 1993. Orders for dinner were taken as we taxied to the runway. The choice this evening was between salmon and chicken salad. I chose the salmon.

Image

Above: Climbing out smoothly over Georgia. The two CFM56-5B3 engines fitted to this A321 produce 33,000lbf of thrust each. Takeoff was fairly powerful, although nothing jaw-dropping. It was followed by a very smooth, shallow and surprisingly quiet climb into the air. The A321 certainly provides a good ride.

Image

Above: The cabin service began as soon as the Flight Attendants were released from their seats. This being a flight with full meal service, hot towels were first passed around the cabin. Shortly thereafter, I was offered another glass of red wine. Instead, I decided to order a Cranberry and Vodka (known as a 'Cape Codder'), since I was en-route to Massachusetts. Apparently the arrival of my drink caught the attention of the gentleman sitting in front, because he flagged down the FA and ordered one for himself! Needless to say, the cocktail was excellent. Cape Codders always are.

Image

Above: After serving my cocktail, the FA set my table with a white linen tablecloth, before bringing my meal. As the photograph shows, the meal was both substantial and well-presented; consisting of a decently-sized salmon steak, served on a bed of brown rice with broccoli, peppers and carrots. The main course was accompanied by a crisp salad with vinaigrette dressing, while dessert consisted of a large slice chocolate and coffee cake, served with a strawberry.

The meal was delicious, with the salmon being surprisingly good for airplane fish. The dessert also tasted excellent, and I was particularly impressed by the new tableware. Designed by Italian company Alessi, it has recently been introduced to Delta's premium cabins. I'm certainly glad to see the back of the faux-wood effect tray that used to be provided.

The ride started to get a little bumpy as I was eating, though not so bumpy that it was uncomfortable to eat. My tray was cleared away promptly as soon as I had finished and I was immediately offered further drinks and snacks. On this occasion, however, I declined, having already consumed a large cup of wine and a pretty strong cocktail.

Image

Above: Dinner with a spectacular view. I specifically chose to sit on the left-hand side of the aircraft in order to enjoy the sunset. The thick cloud layer below the aircraft made the scene all the more breathtaking.

Image

Above: Another stunning view as the aircraft makes a right-hand turn. Needless to say, with views like this one, I did not spend much time using the IFE system!

Image

Above: Speaking of the IFE system, it has a great feature which provides information about all of the aircraft types in the Delta fleet. Elsewhere, it also provides the aircraft registration number, which is a good feature if you board at a gate without a window.

Unfortunately, this flight passed by all too quickly on account of the tailwind. By the time I had finished my dinner, we were already passing over New York City, and before I knew it we were on the ground in Boston. Before we landed, however, I arranged with the friendly FA for a quick cockpit visit after landing. The two ex-Northwest pilots were really friendly and jovial. In fact the entire crew was fantastic, and I really couldn't have asked for anything more on this flight. The A321 is a superb, comfortable aircraft and Delta provides a consistent, friendly service. That's why they have my loyalty.

Image

Above: N319DN parked at Gate A15 nearly one hour early, after a great flight.

Comments, questions and criticisms are welcomed. Hope you enjoyed the report!
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
TW870
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 am

Excellent report, and thank you for posting!

I was supposed to take my first DL 321 ride last April on the same route, but I was booked on the Friday of the great Delta meltdown and had to cancel my trip.

I hear you on the crowds during boarding, and how you have to keep yelling "excuse me" over in over if you are in the PREM or Sky Priority boarding groups. I love the new SkyClub on B at ATL and go out of my way to book through there, but the gates are extremely tight and have the worst boarding crowding in the system. It sometimes feels like half the passengers in the entire national airline system connect on B at ATL every day. Were there any signs of the new boarding procedures they are trying, where allegedly they are going to try lining people up against the wall instead of the massive mob in the hallway?
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

TW870 wrote:
Excellent report, and thank you for posting!

I was supposed to take my first DL 321 ride last April on the same route, but I was booked on the Friday of the great Delta meltdown and had to cancel my trip.

I hear you on the crowds during boarding, and how you have to keep yelling "excuse me" over in over if you are in the PREM or Sky Priority boarding groups. I love the new SkyClub on B at ATL and go out of my way to book through there, but the gates are extremely tight and have the worst boarding crowding in the system. It sometimes feels like half the passengers in the entire national airline system connect on B at ATL every day. Were there any signs of the new boarding procedures they are trying, where allegedly they are going to try lining people up against the wall instead of the massive mob in the hallway?


Thanks for reading - glad to hear you enjoyed it! It's a shame about you having to cancel your previously planned trip, but I have no doubt that you'll enjoy your first flight on one of these aircraft whenever that is.

Yeah, it's a bit of a nightmare. I usually transit through Atlanta too, because it's so easy and I've done it so many times that it has become second nature, and the only big problem is, as you say, how tight the gate spaces are. As is just about visible in my first picture, my flight was at Gate B18, and they had actually set up a bunch of signs to try to direct people to line up in their zones. But no one paid any attention to them, and as usual the crowd spilled out onto the concourse. Enforcement of the system could be improved, but then I guess they'd end up getting complaints about those "mean gate agents".

Thanks again for your comment!
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:06 pm

That dinner looks delicious! I remember the faux wood trays debuted when there was still the faux wood on the lav floors. It always felt like I was eating off the bathroom floor. The new Alessi service wear is such an improvement.
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:35 pm

thegoldenargosy wrote:
That dinner looks delicious! I remember the faux wood trays debuted when there was still the faux wood on the lav floors. It always felt like I was eating off the bathroom floor. The new Alessi service wear is such an improvement.


Thanks for reading, and leaving a comment!
I can confirm that the meal was delicious, but I can't say I ever paid much attention to the bathroom floors ;)
But the faux-wood trays always felt a bit "cheap" to me, and I'm really glad that they have upgraded the tableware - it better matches the quality of the product Delta offers, which is a cut above anything United and AA can provide.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Great report! It was a nice preview for what to expect on my trip tomorrow from JFK to MIA. Also in first, but bypassing ATL although I enjoy the transit through ATL as well (I used to frequent Asian Ciao by A1). I've done it enough on my way to DAB (prior to B6's arrival) that I could probably connect there blindfolded. The dinner options sounded fantastic, and I'm surprised to hear you say how good the salmon was! Especially since I would never order any dinner involving fish after seeing Airplane! (HAHA!) However it looked fantastic! Where did you originate, since you said you had a quick flight on the MD-90 to ATL? I wouldn't have minded seeing that too.
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:11 pm

evank516 wrote:
Great report! It was a nice preview for what to expect on my trip tomorrow from JFK to MIA. Also in first, but bypassing ATL although I enjoy the transit through ATL as well (I used to frequent Asian Ciao by A1). I've done it enough on my way to DAB (prior to B6's arrival) that I could probably connect there blindfolded. The dinner options sounded fantastic, and I'm surprised to hear you say how good the salmon was! Especially since I would never order any dinner involving fish after seeing Airplane! (HAHA!) However it looked fantastic! Where did you originate, since you said you had a quick flight on the MD-90 to ATL? I wouldn't have minded seeing that too.


Thanks for reading and commenting :) Hope you enjoy your trip tomorrow - can we expect a report?
Yeah, Atlanta's pretty easy to transit through - it's just very well laid out and organized. As for the fish; I wouldn't usually order fish either (in fact this was the first time I have), but I went out on a limb and I'm glad I did.

My trip originated in St. Louis. The flight was only an hour long, so obviously the service consisted only of snacks, but the crew were also great on that flight. Thanks for the advice though; next time I'll be sure to include every segment of the trip - that way readers can decide for themselves what to read.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:23 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Great report! It was a nice preview for what to expect on my trip tomorrow from JFK to MIA. Also in first, but bypassing ATL although I enjoy the transit through ATL as well (I used to frequent Asian Ciao by A1). I've done it enough on my way to DAB (prior to B6's arrival) that I could probably connect there blindfolded. The dinner options sounded fantastic, and I'm surprised to hear you say how good the salmon was! Especially since I would never order any dinner involving fish after seeing Airplane! (HAHA!) However it looked fantastic! Where did you originate, since you said you had a quick flight on the MD-90 to ATL? I wouldn't have minded seeing that too.


Thanks for reading and commenting :) Hope you enjoy your trip tomorrow - can we expect a report?
Yeah, Atlanta's pretty easy to transit through - it's just very well laid out and organized. As for the fish; I wouldn't usually order fish either (in fact this was the first time I have), but I went out on a limb and I'm glad I did.

My trip originated in St. Louis. The flight was only an hour long, so obviously the service consisted only of snacks, but the crew were also great on that flight. Thanks for the advice though; next time I'll be sure to include every segment of the trip - that way readers can decide for themselves what to read.


Of course! It was a great read. As for my trip, we shall see! I don't really know how to post pictures on here and stuff, but I will make an attempt!
And definitely! We're all aviation buffs here, all flights matter :rotfl:
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm

evank516 wrote:
Of course! It was a great read. As for my trip, we shall see! I don't really know how to post pictures on here and stuff, but I will make an attempt!
And definitely! We're all aviation buffs here, all flights matter :rotfl:


Thanks! As for posting pictures here; it's a real pain. Basically you have to upload them to a third-party hosting service like Photobucket or Flickr (Flickr is more user friendly in my opinion) and then link them via HTML. It took my three attempts and one deleted thread to get these pictures to show - I wish I could be of more use, but someone else would have to walk you through it. Frankly the fact these picture are here is largely trial and error.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:45 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Of course! It was a great read. As for my trip, we shall see! I don't really know how to post pictures on here and stuff, but I will make an attempt!
And definitely! We're all aviation buffs here, all flights matter :rotfl:


Thanks! As for posting pictures here; it's a real pain. Basically you have to upload them to a third-party hosting service like Photobucket or Flickr (Flickr is more user friendly in my opinion) and then link them via HTML. It took my three attempts and one deleted thread to get these pictures to show - I wish I could be of more use, but someone else would have to walk you through it. Frankly the fact these picture are here is largely trial and error.


Good to know. I'm about 3 trip reports behind actually! Haven't done anything for JFK-ATL-EYW, JFK-MCO or JFK-DAB either (and I take plenty of pictures, but JFK-ATL-EYW has videos that can be in lieu of pictures).

Again, really great report. When's the return?
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm

evank516 wrote:
Good to know. I'm about 3 trip reports behind actually! Haven't done anything for JFK-ATL-EYW, JFK-MCO or JFK-DAB either (and I take plenty of pictures, but JFK-ATL-EYW has videos that can be in lieu of pictures).

Again, really great report. When's the return?


Well, any reports would be well-read and appreciated, I'm sure!
I'm afraid this is the return. The outbound was BOS-DTW-STL. I might get round to uploading that one within the next week or so. Just chose the A321 first because of its recent introduction to the Delta fleet.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:56 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Good to know. I'm about 3 trip reports behind actually! Haven't done anything for JFK-ATL-EYW, JFK-MCO or JFK-DAB either (and I take plenty of pictures, but JFK-ATL-EYW has videos that can be in lieu of pictures).

Again, really great report. When's the return?


Well, any reports would be well-read and appreciated, I'm sure!
I'm afraid this is the return. The outbound was BOS-DTW-STL. I might get round to uploading that one within the next week or so. Just chose the A321 first because of its recent introduction to the Delta fleet.


Well, then I shall make an attempt! At LEAST with the EYW trip. Did you manage to score mainline on DTW-STL?
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

evank516 wrote:
Well, then I shall make an attempt! At LEAST with the EYW trip. Did you manage to score mainline on DTW-STL?


Definitely! The more reports the better - to be honest the Trip Report forum seems quite quiet these days.
I did indeed - N960DN, MD-90.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
evank516
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:40 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Well, then I shall make an attempt! At LEAST with the EYW trip. Did you manage to score mainline on DTW-STL?


Definitely! The more reports the better - to be honest the Trip Report forum seems quite quiet these days.
I did indeed - N960DN, MD-90.


I agree. And nice! Always good to score mainline, especially when your connecting outside of ATL.
 
TW870
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 am

KLDC10 wrote:
thegoldenargosy wrote:
That dinner looks delicious! I remember the faux wood trays debuted when there was still the faux wood on the lav floors. It always felt like I was eating off the bathroom floor. The new Alessi service wear is such an improvement.


Thanks for reading, and leaving a comment!
I can confirm that the meal was delicious, but I can't say I ever paid much attention to the bathroom floors ;)
But the faux-wood trays always felt a bit "cheap" to me, and I'm really glad that they have upgraded the tableware - it better matches the quality of the product Delta offers, which is a cut above anything United and AA can provide.


I have to say I like both the faux wood and the Alessi. Both make the tray an interesting part of the design concept, which no other airline does. The Alessi concept goes much further as it integrates all service items, although the concept is much clearer in Delta One than in regular first. I got a chance to fly D1 on the A330 transatlantic recently, and the tray made more sense in context of the champagne glasses, wine glasses, bread baskets, desert displays, etc.

Also, I agree with others that the salmon main course looks excellent. I think the weak link in Delta's whole domestic passenger experience for frequent flyers is food quality and quantity in F. Add to that the fact that you cannot pre-select entree choice like you can in AA, and I just don't see an incentive to pay for first on most legs over comfort plus. This meal looks like a big exception to that. Hopefully it is a trend!
 
767747
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:08 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:28 am

Great report and photos. The dinner looks amazing! My wife and I recently flew Delta One from JFK-LHR and found the service and food to be excellent, and I also loved the new glassware and plates. Delta is excellent!

Thanks for sharing.
I love to fly!
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 am

evank516 wrote:
I agree. And nice! Always good to score mainline, especially when your connecting outside of ATL.


Certainly is!

TW870 wrote:
I have to say I like both the faux wood and the Alessi. Both make the tray an interesting part of the design concept, which no other airline does. The Alessi concept goes much further as it integrates all service items, although the concept is much clearer in Delta One than in regular first. I got a chance to fly D1 on the A330 transatlantic recently, and the tray made more sense in context of the champagne glasses, wine glasses, bread baskets, desert displays, etc.

Also, I agree with others that the salmon main course looks excellent. I think the weak link in Delta's whole domestic passenger experience for frequent flyers is food quality and quantity in F. Add to that the fact that you cannot pre-select entree choice like you can in AA, and I just don't see an incentive to pay for first on most legs over comfort plus. This meal looks like a big exception to that. Hopefully it is a trend!


Thanks for reading and leaving a comment :)
I can imagine how things would be better in Delta One - the service is significantly enhanced from Delta's domestic First offering, and so there is more of a chance to experience the full range of tableware. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'm glad to hear that it's a good product.

I am in total agreement about your second point. It is a real shame that it isn't possible to select the entree in advance - this would be a really great (and easy to implement) improvement. In terms of the quality and quantity of food, I have noticed an improvement over the last couple of years, and so I'm quite happy to pay for First on flights with meal service.
Thanks again for stopping by!

767747 wrote:
Great report and photos. The dinner looks amazing! My wife and I recently flew Delta One from JFK-LHR and found the service and food to be excellent, and I also loved the new glassware and plates. Delta is excellent!

Thanks for sharing.


Hi there 767747, and thanks for taking the time to comment :)
Dinner was great, and I agree with you about Delta and their product - definitely a great airline! Glad you enjoyed your trip in Delta One too.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
User avatar
res77W
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:59 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Fantastic report! I have yet to catch one of those A321s, we get a few 319s, 320s, 757s and a slew of MD's at MCI. Cape Codders on Delta always seem to be good, maybe it's just the magic of enjoying them at a higher altitude.

-Rowen
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:16 pm

res77W wrote:
Fantastic report! I have yet to catch one of those A321s, we get a few 319s, 320s, 757s and a slew of MD's at MCI. Cape Codders on Delta always seem to be good, maybe it's just the magic of enjoying them at a higher altitude.

-Rowen


Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! The A321s have actually been on the ATL-BOS route for a while - in fact Delta pretty much operates a shuttle on that route. In fact a quick search on their website for 22nd November shows 12 direct flights between Boston and Atlanta, all but two of which are operated by the A321. Of the two that aren't, one is an A320 and the other, curiously, is listed as a Boeing 767-300.

Thanks again for reading - and I definitely agree about the Cape Codders! It's a pretty simply cocktail in the grand scheme of things, but one of my personal favorites.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
User avatar
11725Flyer
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:58 pm

The food looks surprisingly good. I haven't yet been on one of DL's A321s, so it was nice to read a review about it. I will most definitely try a Cape Codder on my next flight. Thanks for sharing with us!
 
smi0006
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 am

Thanks for the review! Surprised also on the quality of the meals too!

You’re right that tray looks far far better! I’m also impressed by the table cloth, I rate QF/VA as the highest standard of Domestic business/first products - and even they don’t offer a table cloth on such short sectors. Is that the new crockery? If so looks very similar to the old set.
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 am

11725Flyer wrote:
The food looks surprisingly good. I haven't yet been on one of DL's A321s, so it was nice to read a review about it. I will most definitely try a Cape Codder on my next flight. Thanks for sharing with us!


Thanks for reading and writing a comment :) I'm sure that you'll enjoy your flight on Delta's A321 when the opportunity arises. I was sorry to see the 757 leave the ATL-BOS route, but the amenities on the A321 more than make up for it. Cape Codders are great, but I'm not sure how well known they are outside of New England - I usually just specify Vodka and Cranberry to avoid confusion.

smi0006 wrote:
Thanks for the review! Surprised also on the quality of the meals too!

You’re right that tray looks far far better! I’m also impressed by the table cloth, I rate QF/VA as the highest standard of Domestic business/first products - and even they don’t offer a table cloth on such short sectors. Is that the new crockery? If so looks very similar to the old set.


Thanks for the compliment, and of course for taking the time to read and leave a comment! Seems the meal has caused quite a stir ;) But I have found from experience that Delta has been upping their game recently in terms of Domestic First catering. The tablecloth is a nice touch - I didn't realize that it wasn't offered on other airlines. That is indeed the new crockery, but as another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, you unfortunately don't get the full range of crockery in Domestic First. To appreciate the full range, you'd need to take a Transcon, or a flight in Delta One.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
User avatar
CollegeAviator
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Fantastic trip report! Once again confirms that Delta's product up front is definitely far superior to that of the competition. Very detailed and thorough descriptions of everything, thank you very much for sharing this!!
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
Fantastic trip report! Once again confirms that Delta's product up front is definitely far superior to that of the competition. Very detailed and thorough descriptions of everything, thank you very much for sharing this!!


Thanks for the comment and the compliment! :)
I agree - Delta's product is certainly superior. Not just up front either; but in virtually every respect. From on-time performance to crew attitude; Delta is certainly the No.1 US Airline.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
pezzy669
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 am

KLDC10 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:
Fantastic trip report! Once again confirms that Delta's product up front is definitely far superior to that of the competition. Very detailed and thorough descriptions of everything, thank you very much for sharing this!!


Thanks for the comment and the compliment! :)
I agree - Delta's product is certainly superior. Not just up front either; but in virtually every respect. From on-time performance to crew attitude; Delta is certainly the No.1 US Airline.


^ This.

ATL hub captive so my choices are DL or WN and I pick DL day in and day out. ~50 segments over the past 5.5 years living here (26 segments this year) and knock on wood I have only had 4 delays out of those 50 and they were all weather related (1x snow storm in YYZ and 3x summer storms in Atlanta).

On another note I have been able to discount op up to DL F on 2 ATL-MSP round trips in which all 4 were meal service flights and they have provided table cloth service back to 2015 based on my experience.
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm

pezzy669 wrote:
ATL hub captive so my choices are DL or WN and I pick DL day in and day out. ~50 segments over the past 5.5 years living here (26 segments this year) and knock on wood I have only had 4 delays out of those 50 and they were all weather related (1x snow storm in YYZ and 3x summer storms in Atlanta).

On another note I have been able to discount op up to DL F on 2 ATL-MSP round trips in which all 4 were meal service flights and they have provided table cloth service back to 2015 based on my experience.


Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :)
I agree with your sentiment entirely - I never doubt that I'm going to get to my destination on time. In fact Delta's on-time performance is so good that I was comfortable to book a 50 minute connection (out of necessity) in Atlanta a couple of years back. I made it to my next flight in good time and my bags made it too. Perfect.

Yes, the table cloths have been a welcome feature for a few years now. A quick Google search would suggest that AA does not provide a tablecloth, and the one time I flew United First, back in 2013 from ORD to BOS, there was no tablecloth either.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
User avatar
mikegigs
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Loved this report! Honest, cheerful, and informative. I've read all too many first class reports with people complaining about the smallest little things it this was the exact opposite! Hoping I can one day fly DL's F product, especially in a brand new aircraft. I love the small branding effects on DL's new cabins, too - like the one on the seatback in front of you. Good branding without plugging themselves too much.

Were you able to check out either of the SkyClubs in BOS? And out of curiosity, what was the snack service like, even though you did not partake?
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 pm

mikegigs wrote:
Loved this report! Honest, cheerful, and informative. I've read all too many first class reports with people complaining about the smallest little things it this was the exact opposite! Hoping I can one day fly DL's F product, especially in a brand new aircraft. I love the small branding effects on DL's new cabins, too - like the one on the seatback in front of you. Good branding without plugging themselves too much.

Were you able to check out either of the SkyClubs in BOS? And out of curiosity, what was the snack service like, even though you did not partake?


Thank you so much for your kind comment! :)
I know exactly what you mean - I think that some people end up taking First Class for granted, and that's a real shame. I agree with you about Delta's branding - it is very consistent and understated. I like it very much.

I didn't sample the SkyClub on this trip, but I have used the one in the satellite terminal in the past. The last time I was there it had a full-service bar and a great view out over the tarmac. Didn't sample the food though - just had a drink and some Biscoffs. I've never used the SkyClub in the main terminal I'm afraid. The snack service on this flight consisted of the usual snack basket items like Biscoffs, Chips, Chocolate Bars etc. However, because of the meal service, the snacks were offered to passengers on an individual basis as we finished our meals, rather than the snack basket being brought around the cabin at an arbitrary moment in time. I thought that was a nice touch actually.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12629
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
I usually transit through Atlanta too, because it's so easy and I've done it so many times that it has become second nature, and the only big problem is, as you say, how tight the gate spaces are. As is just about visible in my first picture, my flight was at Gate B18, and they had actually set up a bunch of signs to try to direct people to line up in their zones. But no one paid any attention to them, and as usual the crowd spilled out onto the concourse.


The “zone pylons” (my term, I don’t know what Delta calls them) work reasonably well in large gatehouses. They aren’t good with airplanes that are too large for the gatehouse, which is frequently the case in ATL. The 321s are nice airplanes and upgauging has many benefits for DL and passengers alike, but the boarding experience isn’t one of them. It wasn’t that long ago that ATL was virtually all Douglas airplanes with an occasional 738 and an even more occasional 757 or 767. No longer.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
The “zone pylons” (my term, I don’t know what Delta calls them) work reasonably well in large gatehouses. They aren’t good with airplanes that are too large for the gatehouse, which is frequently the case in ATL. The 321s are nice airplanes and upgauging has many benefits for DL and passengers alike, but the boarding experience isn’t one of them. It wasn’t that long ago that ATL was virtually all Douglas airplanes with an occasional 738 and an even more occasional 757 or 767. No longer.


Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! You're right about the boarding situation. It was the only slightly frustrating thing to occur. I guess the system is in its trial phase, but if it doesn't work out then they'll have to try another method. I guess you can't really just load the airplane back to front anymore, because Comfort+ is sold with extra benefits like priority boarding and dedicated luggage space - if you board back to front then Comfort+ can't board with priority and might even lose out on luggage space. It's a tough nut to crack.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12629
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
The “zone pylons” (my term, I don’t know what Delta calls them) work reasonably well in large gatehouses. They aren’t good with airplanes that are too large for the gatehouse, which is frequently the case in ATL. The 321s are nice airplanes and upgauging has many benefits for DL and passengers alike, but the boarding experience isn’t one of them. It wasn’t that long ago that ATL was virtually all Douglas airplanes with an occasional 738 and an even more occasional 757 or 767. No longer.


Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! You're right about the boarding situation. It was the only slightly frustrating thing to occur. I guess the system is in its trial phase, but if it doesn't work out then they'll have to try another method. I guess you can't really just load the airplane back to front anymore, because Comfort+ is sold with extra benefits like priority boarding and dedicated luggage space - if you board back to front then Comfort+ can't board with priority and might even lose out on luggage space. It's a tough nut to crack.


They can only put so much lipstick on the ATL pig, which handles many more passengers than its designers intended. At DTW, for instance, they run CR9s and 777s through a facility designed and built for DC-9s and 744s. That makes things easier.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 12629
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:21 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
They can only put so much lipstick on the ATL pig, which handles many more passengers than its designers intended. At DTW, for instance, they run CR9s and 777s through a facility designed and built for DC-9s and 744s. That makes things easier.


In terms of Atlanta; there is a master plan for the future development of the airport. This can be viewed here: http://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... preads.pdf

Page 8 shows plans for three new concourses; which will free up room at those already being used.
Page 14 provides an overview of the short term (10 years) development plan.
Page 16 provides an overview of the long term (20 years) development plan.

Hope that's useful/interesting for you.


Thanks. ATL has had plans for drastic increases in terminal footprint for 15 years or more. So far, nothing but F has come to fruition.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
KLDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Delta A321 First: Atlanta to Boston

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
They can only put so much lipstick on the ATL pig, which handles many more passengers than its designers intended. At DTW, for instance, they run CR9s and 777s through a facility designed and built for DC-9s and 744s. That makes things easier.


In terms of Atlanta; there is a master plan for the future development of the airport. This can be viewed here: http://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... preads.pdf

Page 8 shows plans for three new concourses; which will free up room at those already being used.
Page 14 provides an overview of the short term (10 years) development plan.
Page 16 provides an overview of the long term (20 years) development plan.

Hope that's useful/interesting for you.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skyeurope and 31 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos