Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c152sy
Topic Author

MU vs KE, Part I - China Eastern Boeing 737-800 Incheon-Kunming

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Background
At the end of February 2017, I found myself in a chilly cigarette smoke scented hotel room on a quiet street about twenty minutes away from Kunming Airport. I was there courtesy of China Eastern when Chinese airspace congestion ensured I missed my connecting flight to Incheon and ended up in said room after a three hour wait at the airline’s ticket desk at the airport.

The area of Yunnan was one that I had wanted to visit for quite a while and whilst I didn’t expect my first encounter with the region to be in that way, it did inspire me to finally seriously consider a short break to the region. However, living in Korea, Yunnan certainly isn’t the closest or cheapest region of China to visit. Korean Air and China Eastern both connect Seoul Incheon and Kunming several times a week however both always seemed to be relatively expensive. China Eastern however provided the occasional good deal yet after a rather bad experience with the airline I was a little unwilling to hand them my money. There are of course also high number of connections that can take me from Korea to Yunnan and back however having several bad experiences of missing connections due to Chinese airspace congestion, again I was a little hesitant to book these. In the end, I found a fantastic deal through Korean travel agent Mode Tour and I booked myself on a long weekend in Yunnan which would see me take China Eastern from Incheon to Kunming and return several days later via Qingdao.

Now, you may be asking where Korean Air comes into this. Well, several weeks later I ended flying from ICN to LHR on an indirect ICN-KMG-PVG-LHR routing with the first flight operated by a Korean Air 738 however I’ll talk about this more in the second half of the report.

So why am I making this comparison?
China Eastern and Korean Air are both in Skyteam, and thus because of this perhaps it would be fair to say that many travellers would expect a similar level of service from the two airlines. I wanted to see whether this was true. In order to do this I expelled any previous experiences with the two airlines and started with a clear mind. Considering that both airlines have similar departure times and both flights are operated by Boeing 737-800s, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to compare the two airlines. Also with reasonably long flight time, this seemed like a long enough journey to get a good idea about the quality of the service on both flights.

The Route
As the crow flies the route connecting to these two cities is 1600 miles and is served by eight direct flights a week four of which are operated by China Eastern and the other four by Korean Air. Perhaps a little surprisingly is the fact that these are operated on the exact same days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday) with the China Eastern flights departing at 1615 and the Korean Air flights a little later at 1830. The former has a scheduled flight time of 4H40 whilst the latter is scheduled to take 5H15. As previously mentioned both flights are undertaken by Boeing 737-800s. The Korean Air flight is operated with both a Korean Air and China Eastern flight number whilst the China Eastern flight is operated solely under a China Eastern flight number. On a side note, as of May 2017 the China Eastern flight is the longest flight operated by the airline from Korea and is the airline’s only Boeing 737 operated flight to the nation.

Kunming is located in the far south of China and is the capital of Yunnan Province. By Chinese standards, the city is relatively small with a population of only 6.4 million making it the nation’s 16th largest city. The city lies just over 2000km south of Beijing and sits near China’s borders with Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam. Despite the city’s relatively small size, its airport served almost 42 million passengers in 2016, making it the 38th busiest airport in the world and the 5th busiest in China. As one would expect, it is connected to virtually every operational airport in China by a number of airlines and acts as a hub for China Eastern, Lucky Air, Hongtu Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, Ruili Airlines and the appropriately named Kunming Airlines. The airport also serves as a bridge connecting Eastern China and South Asia with direct flights to Bangladesh, India, the Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka thanks to China Eastern, Shandong Airlines and SriLankan Airlines. China Eastern’s Airbus A330s offer longer flights to Dubai, Paris CDG, Sydney and Vancouver. Having only opened in 2012 the airport seems to be fairly modern, although in my previous experience of passing through the toilets were in quite a state. I even spotted a cockroach like creature in one cubicle!

Internet Services
As previously mentioned, I booked through Korean travel agent Mode Tour which was easy enough (although probably difficult if you have little knowledge of Korean) and I received email confirmation of my booking within a couple of hours of making the purchase. From then until my flight date I received a barrage of unnecessary text messages from the company. This was my second trip with China Eastern and having attempted to use their website to reserve seats before I had had absolutely no luck in doing this or anything for that matter on their poorly functioning website. However several months had passed since then and I had done some research, apparently I have to insert my title (e.g. MR) in front of my name when attempting to do anything on their site. I tried this and as I expected the website could not find my booking. Several attempts later I gave up and just accepted the fact that I would just have to wait until check in to reserve my seat. I’m not too sure what the problem is surrounding my inability to use many of their website’s functions but perhaps in order to use these one must have bought tickets directly through the airline. I had also had the exact same problem with China Southern’s website despite having booked tickets through their website.

Journey to the Airport
If you’ve read any of my other reports involving Korea, you’ll know I am quite a fan of the all-stop Airport Express (AREX) train, it is the cheapest way of getting to the airport from Seoul and offers great value for money, allowing you to connect from anywhere on the Seoul subway network to Incheon (and Gimpo!) Airport as one journey. Of course, for those not wanting to take the all-stop train, a non-stop slightly quicker and more comfortable but significantly more expensive express train is offered from Seoul Station and plenty of bus services are available. These bus services tend to be rather expensive and plus they are vulnerable to Seoul’s traffic which can be snail-like at times. Personally I wouldn’t consider catching a bus unless I had an incredible amount of luggage/was travelling to/from East Seoul or the cities in Gyeonggui-do that surround Korea’s capital.

Mid-walk

After a busy three day week, the departure day soon came and I found myself walking out of my building under sunny blue cloudless skies, despite a day of rain having been forecast. The temperature was also rather warm hovering around 24 degrees. These days many Koreans claim that Autumn and Spring are getting shorter and Winter and Summer are getting longer, and this had proven true for 2017. In a period of a few weeks we had gone from freezing to incredibly pleasant weather. Deciding to make the most of this I opted to embark on a 30 minute walk to Digital Media City station instead of taking the subway, something that my lack of hold luggage allowed me to do.

Unfortunately I arrived at the opposite side of the station to the AREX platforms and seeing as there was a train coming I made a quick walk/slow jog and just made the train, narrowly avoiding a 10 minute wait until the next one. Admittedly one of the big disadvantages of the all-stop train service is that you are not guaranteed a seat on board which means unless you board at Seoul Station, there is a risk (albeit a small one) that you could be standing for the entire journey. Upon boarding no empty seats could be found however many people disembarked at Gimpo allowing me to sit down. 46 minutes later we pulled into Incheon Airport station and I made my way to the main terminal. To my surprise the terminal didn’t really look much busier than usual considering the national holiday.

Incheon Airport station – from here you can catch the train to pretty much anywhere in Korea

Check In
After arriving at the main terminal, I checked the departure screens and navigated myself to the China Eastern check in desks. Here I was faced with the biggest shock of the entire trip. They were completely devoid of passengers! (but fully staffed). Realising I was a little early for my flight I was uncertain about whether I could check in. In fact, the last time I flew with MU from ICN I was turned away due to my slightly early arrival. However, this time round I was given the go ahead to check in. The Asiana Airport Services check in agent was friendly although a little shocked I was speaking Korean, when it came to selecting a seat I asked for a rear row window seat (my theory is that these are the most likely seats to remain empty – it could be completely rubbish, just something I’ve noticed) however I was told this was unavailable and was given 35C, a little disappointing seeing as I had originally asked for a window seat. Anyway, in no time I was checked in and I made my way to security and immigration.

The China Eastern check in area

Airside
Unsurprisingly security was a little busier than usual, however all check points were open and it did only take about ten minutes to get through this. Seeing as many passengers were Korean, the queues at immigration were fairly small and so I was airside within 25 minutes or so of arriving at the airport. Airside, the airport seemed to be incredibly busy, much busier than I have seen it before. Many Korean passengers seemed to be heading for a long weekend in East Asian city break destinations such as Hong Kong, Osaka, Taipei and Tokyo plus the early afternoon Europe rush was in full swing with multiple flights to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London, Madrid, Paris, Prague, Rome and Zurich plus a few North American departures and flights across Asia preparing for departure.

As a general rule, all flights that aren’t operated by a Korean airline fly from the satellite terminal however there are some exceptions for example I have seen an Etihad A340 at the main terminal and Korean Air aircraft at the satellite terminal on several occasions. Korean LCCs tend to use both terminals. As I was flying on China Eastern I decided to board the train to the satellite terminal after taking a walk around. After a short wait and a quick train ride I arrived at the terminal and found it to be equally as busy as the main terminal however over time the number of passengers slowly seemed to decrease and not respawn at a rate to maintain its busyness. As per usual I found the terminal to be clean and pleasant with good, fast free wifi. Despite the number of passengers there seemed to be ample space to sit down. My only complaint about Incheon is the airport’s lack of any convenience stores which makes it near impossible to purchase a cheap snack. Say for example if I wanted to buy a single can of a soft drink, I would have to purchase this individually at an inflated price from a restaurant.

An unsurprisingly quiet terminal

A pencil that has just arrived from Abu Dhabi, waiting to be pushed to a remote stand

Outside a host of aircraft ranging from the A320 to the Boeing 747-400 from a variety of airlines including Air AsiaX, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Aurora, Cathay Pacific, China Eastern, China Southern, CSA Czech Airlines, Lufthansa, MIAT Mongolian, Shandong Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spring Airlines and United Airlines were being readied for their flights across the world. Upon checking Flightradar24, I was pleased to see that my flight was scheduled to make a slightly early arrival into Incheon however as I have learnt from past experiences flying in and to/from China, thanks to overcrowded nature of Chinese skies just because an aircraft arrives early does not mean your flight is immune from ATC delays and will depart on time! After touching down at 1512, the aircraft made what seemed like a long taxi to gate 127 at the China Eastern end of the terminal, I’m not too sure whether this is official however in my experience MU flights almost always seem to depart from the west end of the terminal whilst Air China flights depart from the far east end. In virtually no time the jetbridge was connected and what seemed like a small number passengers disembarked. At this time there was only a small handful of passengers at the gate, giving me hope that our flight would not be incredibly full. However, as one would expect as our boarding time of 1545 slowly crept towards us the number of passengers around our gate slowly increased although given the fact that a Qingdao flight was departing from the neighbouring gate it was hard to tell whether these passengers would be taking the Kunming bound flight. Interestingly two MU pilots could be found at the gate indicating there was to be a change of pilots for this flight.

A great looking old-ish Star Alliancer

And another

A great looking new-ish Star Alliancer

An Air China A330 preparing for its short flight to Beijing

No prizes for guessing the airline

Off on a short hop to Vladivostok

Aircraft
The aircraft that would be taking me across China to Kunming would be Boeing 737-89P, B-1702 operated by Kunming based China Eastern Yunnan Airlines. The aircraft made its first flight at 1040 on the 28th of August 2014 when it flew from Renton to Boeing Field via Moses Lake making it two years and eight months old at the time of my flight. The aircraft was then delivered to the airline in September that year in the airline’s ‘Yunnan Peacock’ colours, likely making the long journey from Washington State to Yunnan via Honolulu, Majuro, Guam and Shanghai. Today, the aircraft sadly no longer sports the peacock colour scheme and instead wears what I think is China Eastern’s very boring new livery. The aircraft is fitted with eight business class seats and 159 economy seats and of course features Boeing’s Sky Interior. Despite China Eastern Yunnan’s diverse route network across East and South Asia, my aircraft seemed to be stuck in the same daily cycles for the past week making six all day round trips between Kunming and Osaka Kansai via Shanghai Pudong, plus one round trip to Incheon exactly a week before my flight, clocking around 29300 miles.

B-1702 waiting at the gate

Boarding
Boarding was scheduled to start at 1545 and an orderly queue formed at this time however it wasn’t until just after 1550 that boarding was called. Judging by the number of people queuing, the flight wouldn’t be 100% full. There was quite a diverse group of passengers on the flight that evening with around 50% of the passengers from Nepal and Bangladesh presumably connecting onto Kathmandu and Dhaka respectively with the other 40% consisting of Chinese passengers and 10% consisting of Korean passengers and other foreigners. By 1555 I had reached the front of the queue and after having my boarding pass checked I made my way down to the shiny Boeing 737-800 ready to take us to Kunming. As I stepped onto to the welcome carpet of the aircraft and into the slight blue tinted cabin I received no greeting but instead was carefully watched by the two flight attendants at the front of the aircraft. This was slightly awkward and I wasn’t too sure whether I should say hello or just ignore them as I waited for the queue to shift. After heading through the small business class cabin I arrived at 35C located a few rows back from the front of the economy cabin. From there I waited anxiously to see if any window seats remained free. During this time, I also noticed flight attendants pushing past waiting passengers in the aisle as if they were in a hurry to go somewhere without even saying a word. By 1605 all passengers were onboard and to my delight there was a cornucopia of window seats still available, I decided to set up camp in 37L, the load for the flight was incredibly low at only about 40% in fact the rows both in front of and behind me remained empty. The crew on the flight consisted of eight, two pilots, four cabin crew members and two security guards, all of whom were Chinese.

Seat
In most of China Eastern Yunnan’s Boeing 737s the seat pattern is significantly different from China Eastern’s other aircraft, consisting of dark blue window and aisle seats and an orange middle seat with all of these featuring a repeating bird logo. The seat itself was quite comfortable however the legroom was rather mediocre. The seat itself did look a bit worn with some of the covering fabric was coming away in places. Despite being a full service airline, as with many airlines in China, non China Eastern related advertisements were stuck to the tray tables and printed onto the headrest cover. When flying on China Eastern I have noticed that seat pockets often do not contain the full hamper of goods you would expect to find in a seat pocket however I was pleasantly surprised that this seat pocket contained a safety card, sick bag, a copy of the Eastern Mall duty free catalogue and a copy of the View inflight magazine. However, I was not so pleasantly surprised to also find a used tissue, Japanese customs form and empty Japanese snack packet in the seat pocket. Considering the aircraft’s schedules these must have been there for at least 24 hours going unnoticed for at least four turnaround cleaning periods including an overnight stop. There were also some crumbs and some paper on the floor around my seat. Not the best impression China Eastern. Upon boarding the seats remained free of blankets, pillows and headphones although I imagine these could be provided upon request.

A fairly standard looking safety card

Not the cleanest aircraft I’ve flown

Departure
At 1610 the catchy boarding music stopped and the crew made their departure announcement informing us of our 4H30 flight time and thanking us for flying China Eastern before we pushed back at 1612, three minutes before our scheduled departure time. Eventually our engines fired into life and the screens came down and played China Eastern’s long safety video first in Chinese and then in English as we made our taxi to runway 33L behind a Korean Air 777-200ER, an Asiana A330-300 and a Jin Air 737-800. Despite the traffic in front of us, we didn’t have to wait too long before it was our turn to depart. In fact by the time it was our turn to depart the English safety video had only just ended.

Mid taxi

Off we go!

At 1626 our lightly loaded Boeing 737’s engines revved into life and we went flying down Incheon’s 33L taking to the skies in what seemed like almost no time. In contrast to our powerful takeoff our climb seemed to be very shallow giving us good views as we departed Incheon. Considering that we took off into the NW immediately after departure we had to turn west in order to avoid North Korea, faint views of which could be seen during the climb before we turned south giving us good views of the many islands that lie off the coast of Incheon. Many Koreans often state that the sea of Korea’s western shores is brown due to pollution from China however this certainly wasn’t the case that day as the sea appeared to be a fantastic deep blue colour.

The islands of Sindo and Sido

Climbing higher

And higher

A few minutes later we reached the shores of the mainland just west of Asan before the clouds took away any view we had of the land beneath us. At this time the screens came down again in order to play the Korean language safety video before going to a blank screen. By the time we reached our initial cruising altitude of 34000 feet we were near the south-eastern Korean city of Gwangju, at this time the captain came on to make a short announcement in Chinese and English regarding our flight time and the weather. I have noticed that announcements from the cockpit are pretty rare on Chinese airlines however they have been a feature of all three flights I have taken with China Eastern Yunnan Airlines. After this the cabin crew made another announcement reiterating the rules regarding electronics, informing us of the meal service and telling us that they will be by our side any time we need them, something I have heard often on my flights with China Eastern.

Meal Service
Shortly after this announcement was made the crew came around distributing special meals, 15 minutes later at 1715 Korean time the crew came around to conduct the main meal service. Being near the front of the aircraft I was one of the first passengers to receive this. The crew gave me a tray and said, ‘pork rice’ but nothing else. No other options were given. The meal consisted of Korean style bulgogi with rice and vegetables, a spam salad, a bread roll with butter and gochujang (Korean chili paste), a piece of cake and a 90ml tub of orange juice. Immediately after being given this the drinks trolley reached me and I opted for an apple juice. The meal itself was not too bad, the quantity of food was good enough however the main dish was a little bland and the butter was completely un-spreadable however perhaps I’m being a little too picky. After the meal service another drinks round was made which turned out to be the final drinks round of the flight.

Entertainment
Despite the lack of headphones, during the flight, two films were shown on the overhead screens, I’m not too sure what the first one was however the second was Chinese comedy film Cook Up a Storm about a Korean chef who sets up a Michelin star restaurant in an ordinary Chinese street much to the displeasure of a highly regarded local chef and restauranteur. However, none of the passengers seemed to be too engrossed in the film. For those wanting to pass the time by reading the China Eastern provided onboard literature, both the inflight magazine and duty free catalogue were only in Chinese. It doesn’t really seem as if China Eastern caters for foreign passengers.

The inflight magazine

Rest of the Flight
By the time the meal and drinks service finished we were SW of Jeju and turning westwards towards Shanghai. At this point I noticed that whilst the economy cabin was lit up by the late afternoon sun, the small business cabin was in complete darkness, presumably the flight attendants had asked the passengers up front to close the window shades. Fortunately I was not flying in business and was able to enjoy the clouds passing beneath us. It wasn’t until we were over Chinese soil that the clouds parted, revealing Changzhou, a city of 4.5 million just west of Shanghai. For the avgeeks, the city’s Benniu Airport was also in full view however our altitude meant that I could not even identify the airlines of the smattering of aircraft resting there between flights. Around twenty minutes later we flew over Chaohu Lake south of the city of Hefei, a lake famous for being one of the five largest freshwater lakes in the nation and for its pollution. Legend has it that the city of Chaozhou could once be found in place of the lake however due to the sins of its residents, a dragon flooded the city resulting in the lake 34000 feet beneath me.

Leaving Korea behind

Somewhere over Eastern China on China Eastern

A short while later the clouds came back and swallowed any remaining view of the land for the majority of the flight. However as we were chasing the day flying westwards escaping the dark of night, the prolonged dusk outside resulted in some nice views. Beneath us the cities of Nanjing, Wuhan and Guiyang travelled past beneath the clouds, the occasional aircraft could also be spotted wizzing beneath us perpendicular to our flight. After a while I headed to the bathroom which I found to be adequately stocked with the basics and in a clean-ish but slightly battered looking condition. By the time I headed back to my seat the second film had commenced although my lack of headphones and interest in the film meant I kept myself entertained with a combination of my work and the view outside.

Not too many complaints here

For the majority of the flight, the crew remained in the galleys however just under two hours before our arrival immigration forms were handed out which I was grateful for, having experienced the mad rush to collect these and fill these out in the immigration queue when they have not been handed out during the flight. Outside the skies gradually became more orange as the sun began to sink and at 2000 we too began to gradually sink downwards before levelling off indicating the start of our long Chinese style step descent towards earth. Fifteen minutes later an announcement was made by the crew confirming that we were about to begin our descent before an automated announcement informed us of the exact same thing. The main cabin lights were turned back on and the crew came round to collect rubbish before returning to faint blue mood lights. An automated health announcement was then played in Chinese and English however I was more focused on the beautiful view outside as we darted in and out of clouds resulting in the cabin flashing between brightness and darkness. After a short period of cloud surfing we sank beneath these offering us good views of mountains and deep valleys with clusters of farms and villages. In the distance the bright red sun could be seen sinking out of view. The farms then grew larger and the ground beneath us appeared to be almost completely covered in industrial scale farms.

Heading down into the clouds

Eventually after 4H24 in the air we floated down over the threshold of Kunming’s runway 22 past two Colourful Yunnan Embraer Phenoms and a Harbin Y-12 before making a soft touchdown which was immediately followed by the roar of the reverse thrust and some heavy breaking. This meant we were off the runway in no time at all and heading towards a row of nine China Eastern Boeing 737-700s and 800s bathing in the harsh orange glow of the apron floodlights. We pulled into stand 507 beside a slightly older MU 738 that had arrived about an hour before from Bangkok. After a short wait, stairs were brought up to the aircraft and disembarkation began. Plenty of people were taking selfies with the aircraft and the ground staff didn’t seem to have any problem with that, in fact I have noticed that most ground staff in China generally don’t have a problem with you taking photos on the apron, at least none that I have encountered. Having sat near the front of the aircraft, I was one of the first to board the bus and thus there was a bit of a wait whilst the remainder of the passengers disembarked as they attempted to squeeze us all into one bus. Eventually we were off down the line of Boeing 737s and into a tunnel that brought us to the main terminal where we drove past even more China Eastern Boeing 737s and an A330 before arriving at the doors to immigration. Here only two desks were open to foreigners however it seemed that we were the only international flight arriving at that time and taking into account that a significant number of passengers were transferring or held Chinese passports I only had to queue for a couple of minutes or so before being seen.

After heading through immigration, not having any hold luggage I headed straight out into the modern looking arrival area. As I was heading on a flight to Lijiang the next morning I had booked an offsite airport hotel which claimed to have an airport shuttle bus. Realising I had no hope of catching the bus considering I have virtually no knowledge of the Chinese language I took an official taxi and showed the driver the address of the hotel in Chinese. Five minutes later we were stuck in a traffic jam on the airport highway and remained there for around forty minutes, not too good considering the hotel was only supposed to be a 30 minute drive away. He then turned around, drove back to the airport and dropped me off at the expensive hotel, charging me 20 more Yuan than the meter claimed I needed to pay. This hotel was pretty nice, if not a little expensive although I did get a free breakfast and didn’t have to worry about getting to the airport the next morning.

Summary
At the start of this report, I claimed that I was writing about China Eastern with a fresh mind, refusing to consider the very poor service I had received from them in the past. However, that poor service actually made this flight seem far better than a say a first time China Easterner would see it. Anyway, that said I shall attempt to continue to write this with a clear head until the very end, so here I go.

CREW – 5/10
The crew were pretty cold, I didn’t even receive a welcome and even before we had pushed back they were pushing past passengers queuing in the aisles. Despite the claim that the crew would be beside our side any time we needed them, the crew could not be seen for the majority of the flight whereas perhaps on other airlines they would patrol the aisles waiting to pounce on a needy passenger. On the positive side, the crew’s English level was pretty reasonable although there were no Korean speaking crew members onboard the flight as there often are on China Eastern’s flights between Korea and China which may have the potential for some communication issues.

FOOD – 6/10
The food was mediocre at best and considering that the passengers were onboard the aircraft for around five hours surely a second drinks service as we neared Kunming would have welcomed by the passengers. Portion sizes were good although the food was served with flimsy metal cutlery.

SEAT – 4/10
Admittedly the seat itself was well padded and comfortable, the amount of legroom was okay however the seat did seem a little battered. What really brought the score down for this was the rubbish left over from previous flights on the floor and in the seat pocket. I’m sure nobody wants to reach out for the inflight magazine and end up touching someone’s used tissue.

ENTERTAINMENT – 4/10
Yes, films were shown however no headphones were given. Most people seemed to have no interest in these and so perhaps it would have been better just to show the moving map for the duration of the flight. The inflight magazine was only in Chinese, considering that China Eastern is one of the world’s largest airlines with a network that spans across the world they must carry a fair few foreign passengers with no knowledge of Chinese, perhaps it would be sensible to offer the magazine’s articles in both Chinese and English.

Conclusion
Well, to the average flyer, the flight likely wasn’t an overly positive experience. However, considering the price I paid for the return trip from Seoul to Kunming I can’t really complain. I arrived on time, I was fed and watered and I could have taken up to 23kg of baggage. Would I fly China Eastern again? Yes, however I would do so with low expectations. In fact I have flown with the airline since then, and arrived at my destination three hours late, bringing the total delay I have experienced with the airline over four trips to around 30 hours. Those flying the airline for the first time and are perhaps unaware of the airlines not-so-great reputation may be a little disappointed with their flight.

Anyway, that’s it for now, thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed! I’ll be posting my review of the Korean Air ICN-KMG flight soon.

Please note, the photos of many reports seem to no longer be working however these photos can be viewed on my blog Forever in Y

Korea Domestic
Asiana Boeing 767 Gimpo-Jeju
Air Busan A320 Busan-Jeju
Jeju Air Boeing 737-800 Busan-Jeju
Jin Air Boeing 777-200ER Jeju-Gimpo
Korean Air Airbus A330-300 Jeju to Busan
Korean Air Boeing 747-400 Gimpo to Jeju
Korean Air Boeing 787-9 Gimpo-Jeju

Short Haul
Cityjet Avro RJ85 London City-Cork
Far Eastern Air Transport MD-80 Taipei Songshan-Makung
Joy Air Xian MA60 Yantai-Dalian-Yantai