Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Business Class on the Qatar Airways 787 - ARN-DOH

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:11 am

For all the pictures of this review, please click here - it's worth it!

I love flying Qatar Airways in Business Class. It's just something that is so well done. The service is unbeatable. You literally finish a dish and the crew bring the next one. Sleeping? No problem - as soon as you wake up the crew are there to ask you if you want anything else.

There is nothing I can praise the crew for more than I already do. They have all my respect for being so great at what they do. That coupled with a comfortable seat, awesome food and the whole general experience makes it unbeatable as far as I am concerned.

I bought this flight in a sale so it didn't cost as much as it could have. If you have a chance to take Qatar - even if it means going out of your way - do it. Here's the review.

QR168 – Stockholm Arlanda to Doha (ARN-DOH)
25 August 2017
Boeing 787-8 – A7-BCB
Seat: Business Class 1A
Departure: 17:35 Arrival: 00:40+1

Friendly cabin crew greet you at the door and direct you to your seat. The 787 entryway features high ceilings and on the Qatar aircraft there is a bar area which is set with flowers during flight.

There are no overhead compartments in the middle of the business class cabin. Everyone shares the ones above the window seats and there is always plenty of space for all carry on luggage.

I find the seat to be very inviting. In fact, it makes me smile as it almost demands you to sit down and enjoy. The space is laid out to feel both intimate and spacious at the same time which is an achievement.

Ample storage is provided in a compartment by your leg and there is also provision for device charging. By your shoulder is a shelf which also has the magazine and safety card storage.

Row 1 features extra space in the foot well compared to the other rows due to the layout. As it is the bassinet row for people with babies, it is only available at check-in. Menus are delivered by smiling cabin crew and they also ask if you would like a drink before departure.

I chose a – say it with me regular readers – Champagne. This is delivered along with a hot towel. As boarding is completed, a variety of newspapers are offered followed by the taking of meal orders. Now everyone is on board and it’s time to go!

FC Barcelona featured on the Qatar Airways safety video earlier this year and I found it less than spectacular. This time it is gone and a new video is in its place. Alas, I can’t find it on YouTube to show you.

Cleaners must have missed a tiny bit of my tray as I found an amber coloured substance on the front facing me. I decided to ignore it and enjoy my flight. Once in the air, a post departure drink is delivered with nuts as a prelude to your meal.

Windows in a toilet is something I usually find in first class. It certainly is a nice surprise to find it in business class and the view is spectacular too. Who doesn’t like seeing the engine?

In addition to the usual Rituals products for washing or hydrating, Qatar Airways provides a few extras. These come in the form of little packets for brushing your teeth or shaving. Very handy! The toilet is not quite as nice as the one on the newer Airbus A350 but it is still very good.

Being the shy sort, I always order every single course on the menu. I specifically saved my appetite for the on board meal as I enjoy it so much. Your tray is set with various elements and a napkin is folded into a triangle and laid on your lap.

First off a palate cleanser is delivered and it never disappoints. Served from a trolley, the crew inform each passenger that it is smoked corn with beetroot. It is quite tasty.

Soup is next on the menu for me and the crew deliver this with a lid on. Once the dish is placed on the tray, the lid is removed and you’re free to chow down.

Qatar Airways cabin crew are trained so that once you finish each dish, it is removed and the next dish comes out promptly. I have learned to linger over each dish to prevent the next one arriving too quickly. That’s what I get for being a fast eater!

Wireless Internet is offered on board the Qatar Airways 787 Dreamliner. Passengers are provided with a small free allowance and after this it is US$5 for 30 megabytes of data.

For social media use such as uploading a picture to Facebook or sending a Snapchat snap it is okay enough to use with a phone. It is not fast and you run through your allowance swiftly enough. It’s nice to have on board though but I would like to see it free in business class like on Aer Lingus.

Three more courses to go, so stay with me. A nice appetiser salad of smoked salmon and radishes on a bed of potato salad is delivered next. Utterly delicious and also not too heavy which I like.

I love a Thai curry and so that is the selection I chose for my main dish. Usually dishes that should be spicy on a flight are just not so I expected the usual relatively bland tasting curry.

Praise the lord and hallelujah! The look of surprise on my face when I tasted the first mouthful must have been a picture. Actual hot spice in a Thai curry on an aeroplane! Spectacular and exactly how I like it. I am very impressed with this dish, it’s a winner.

Once I had inhaled that gorgeousness a lemon tart promptly arrived. I love lemon tarts and this one lived up to my expectations. Sweet and lovely so this made me happy.

In addition to a range of cocktails, Qatar also have a bunch of spectacular mocktails. These are bursting with taste and I always like to have a few of them when flying.

Godiva chocolates are handed out to all passengers after the meal which are nice to enjoy when settling in to watch a movie. The chocolates are smooth and velvety and oh so tasty!

At the entrance door there is a bar area with fruit, Champagne and glasses so you can help yourself during the flight. The area is fairly dark and most people tend to stay seated so I am not sure how popular this is.

Opposite the little bar is a magazine rack. The set up seems to be a little bit of a waste of space but it does look nice. Now to the entertainment system on Qatar, which is called Oryx One.

Initially I decided to watch the Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn comedy Snatched until I realised the extensive censorship on what was being said. When the mouth says “pussy” and the voice says “puppy” it’s fairly obvious. I switched to the far less likely to be censored Hitchcock classic Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Censoring movies is something I completely disagree with. If the airline is worried about offending people, a notice should play at the beginning warning of the content.

There are two seats at the back of the business class cabin right behind the magazines. On each side are the toilets though the doors thoughtfully face forward and not side on like most toilet doors on aircraft.

Since no-one was sitting there I had a good look at them. In actual fact if you and a friend are a pair of chatty Cathy’s this could be the perfect place for you. It’s away from the main business class cabin and it’s very private. These could actually be the best middle seats in the house.

Soon enough the mood lighting becomes brighter and it is time to land. The crew clear up the cabin and you arrive at your destination feeling quite fresh and quite sated. Another spectacular flight is at an end.

Business class on the Qatar Airways 787 Dreamliner does not disappoint. The mood lighting provides an excellent cabin ambiance when it is in use and the large windows provide a great view outside.

Service is nothing short of consistently superlative which always amazes me. Nothing is too much trouble for the friendly crew – even pictures at the door during boarding!

While I am not impressed at the censorship of the movies there are other options available. In fact, with box sets of the Star Wars movies as well as the Lord of the Rings series and Alfred Hitchcock movies, it seems the system is deliberately angled towards films with broad appeal that will not offend.

The on board meals on this flight were some of the best I have ever had in the air. Actual spice in a Thai curry is a revelation and other airlines should take note to make the dishes how they are supposed to actually be. Qatar Airways business class is spectacular and I rather like flying with them.

Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Remember, for all the pictures of this review, please click here.

theobcman

Re: Business Class on the Qatar Airways 787 - ARN-DOH

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:58 am

Nice report & QR J does look superb ! Were you going on to SIN/HKG ? I really need to get onto one of these ex Scandinavia QR deals to Far East ....... virtually takes care of my BAEC Silver in one hit

RoySFlying

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 am

Another great airline review.

I like they way that the seat is angled toward the window, giving a bit more privacy, but the side panel seems to negate the benefit of having two windows. Oh well, I guess one can't have everything.

I say it all the time, I must try QR at some stage but so far the don't fly to my usual destination. Either I have to wait until they do, or I have to fly somewhere else. :wink2:

Thanks for sharing.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:18 am

theobcman wrote:
Nice report & QR J does look superb ! Were you going on to SIN/HKG ? I really need to get onto one of these ex Scandinavia QR deals to Far East ....... virtually takes care of my BAEC Silver in one hit

It really does - it means I'll renew again straight away. I was flying to SYD - so I routed DUB-ARN-DOH-AKL-SYD all in. A long way to travel but the QR deal was from Stockholm to Auckland so that's the way it had to be. Always enjoy flying QR since my first flights with them in April.

Thanks for the comment!

RoySFlying wrote:
Another great airline review.

I like they way that the seat is angled toward the window, giving a bit more privacy, but the side panel seems to negate the benefit of having two windows. Oh well, I guess one can't have everything.

I say it all the time, I must try QR at some stage but so far the don't fly to my usual destination. Either I have to wait until they do, or I have to fly somewhere else. :wink2:

Thanks for sharing.

It feels quite private as you're not facing the aisle at all, so you don't really notice the other passengers at all. Others have commented exactly as you did about no privacy but it's really no big deal I've found.

I'm sure you'll get to try QR sometime - it's certainly a good experience. Thanks for the comment!

YTR

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Good review Classiclover.
We have missed each other by few days. I took off 4 days prior to your flight.
While the ARN-DOH-ARN were great the RT to SIN were not great at all..

Enjoy AKL and SYD !

Btw where do you credit the miles ? BA or QR ?

Thomas

KLDC10

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Great report. The meal service looks absolutely superb; and I was interested to read about the Mocktails on offer.

I noted that the bathroom window came complete with its own dimmer switch - for reasons of privacy I guess? ;)

injian

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

thank you for posting this! definitely need to jump on the QR europe-asia deals.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm

YTR wrote:
Good review Classiclover.
We have missed each other by few days. I took off 4 days prior to your flight.
While the ARN-DOH-ARN were great the RT to SIN were not great at all..

Enjoy AKL and SYD !

Btw where do you credit the miles ? BA or QR ?

Thomas

Glad you enjoyed the report, Thomas!

What happened on the SIN flight to make it not great?

I credit all my miles to the BA Executive Club. I'm based in Europe so it makes sense to have them there so I can redeem them on the BA network. I've never really looked into the QR programme to be honest.

KLDC10 wrote:
Great report. The meal service looks absolutely superb; and I was interested to read about the Mocktails on offer.

I noted that the bathroom window came complete with its own dimmer switch - for reasons of privacy I guess? ;)

The Mocktails are really really tasty. They're so nice I can virtually finish them in one go - just to keep the taste going.

Hahaha! Yes, the toilet dimmer switch is to keep away those prying eyes at 38,000 feet ;)

injian wrote:
thank you for posting this! definitely need to jump on the QR europe-asia deals.

Absolutely, you need to keep an eye out for them. They make me stretch to spend a little more than I should, but it's actually within reach rather than being out of my league, as it is anytime there is not a sale.

ba319-131

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I’ve had nothing but excellent flights on QR, 320,332,346,77W, 359 & 388.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:23 pm

ba319-131 wrote:
Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I’ve had nothing but excellent flights on QR, 320,332,346,77W, 359 & 388.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

You've really flown the whole fleet on Qatar, haven't you? I've only done 788, 359, 320 and 77L but that covers all the seats except the Qsuite - oh, and First Class. I'd love to try QR's A380 First Class sometime, though I do hear it's not that much better than business class as their business class is so good.