bgboiflyer
Topic Author

The Trek back home Summer '15 NNG-PVG-LAX-BOI

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:14 am

Hello everyone!

This is the return segment from the previous BOI-NNG report, which I'll link shortly:

Link:

Just to note: My poor $40USD phone got dropped in the water in Beihai (Guangxi Province) and couldn't be used due to a digitizer contamination. Luckily my aunt supplied me with an old Sony 7.2MP point and shoot with a funky storage card.

*Just a note*
I didn't take many photos and many of those were not high quality, so I apologize in advance.
This one is gonna be a bit quick

July 21st, 2015

After a long 6 weeks, we were finally on the way back homesick after a long period of separation from Western media I had to be easily relieved.

Alright let's begin:

We arrived at NNG's shiny new terminal about 2 hours early, just around 10:00 local time.

After a quick check-in and security, we were airside.

MF 738 (Inevitably we'll be flying you (the airline) soon!...) probably to FOC or XMN i dunno...

HO A321 to SHA (Flew them last time instead to PVG, were cheap great but delayed lol)

MU 73G To ... at our gate 15.

NNG-PVG
FM9386
B-5523
B737-86D MSN 35776
Depart: 12:55
Arrive: 15:15
Seat: 34J

Boarding pass

Many travelers around me and I reported the plane being late it was, as according to Flightaware it would instead arrive at 12:41, when our boarding was at 12:25.

I would have bought some models, but I had USD only and the Airport had no currency converters, so no luck there.

New Gen Airways 738, never heard of them before, and they do charters to DMK

Our Gate 15

Our jet, B-5523 arriving delayed

Boarding commenced at 13:12 and the ordinary line began

I was assigned 34J for this 2 hour hop:

My pitch at 34J: 32" or 81 cm but felt tight (sorry from a video)

We were informed the flight had to be held by the air traffic control, smh :crazy:

Then after about 30 minutes, the crew served us a meal with no choices:
Tofu stuffed Pork and Rice

Snack box with MU branding (since it is a part of MU)

Snack box contents (sorry for being so blurry! :mrgreen: )

The crew did not really give us much information about the delay, but probably since the ATC might have had a nightmare that day.

A woman continuing to KIX was a bit worried about missing the next flight and my Mom told her next time to allocate more time for international connections.

We finally pushed back at around 14:30 and continued into the air.

The flight was rather uneventful and then we slowly descended into PVG and landed at around 17:15

The disturbed and panicking woman quickly disembarked as soon as the cabin door opened.

Connection at PVG

Soon after claiming our bags we lost our claim checks and had a panic, but luckily the ground staff was nice enough to let us go through without them.

Immediately after this we heading to check-in at the Delta counters for our next flight.

We had a kiosk that worked at least for us with US passports and got our boarding passes, dropped our bags, and off to Immigration and Quarantine

Afterwards, we stopped at our supposed Gate 16 occupied by a MU 77W to Bangkok with some confusion and stopped for some cup noodles.

An Indian man probably for the FM flight at gate 20/21 tried communicating to a ground staff with some sign language at the water dispenser, but unfortunately had to use his hands, and we helped the staff member know that the cups were empty.

After the stop we headed off to gate 19 where the 77L was waiting.

DL186
PVG-LAX
B777-232(LR) MSN 39254
Depart: 21:20
Arrive: 18:30
Seat: 42E(F)

N708DN parked at Gate 19

Boarding was a bit chaotic with people lining up for the wrong zone, and so we had to squeeze passed a lot of people to get through Zone 2 boarding, our zone.

Boarding Pass
We came onboard to the rather outdated Economy Cabin and into my seat in towards the back of the forward Cabin.

I didn't look at my boarding pass so I sat at probably my brother's seat.

Seat IFE

This aircraft featured the first generation of Delta Studio and had no USB ports :(
Width was great boasting 18.5" or 47cm wide, and had great lumbar support unlike the last flight on the A332 :spit: , but still the same 31" or 79cm, but I was finally able to recline about 2 inches :mrgreen:

At least this time we were offered menus and were distributed some poor quality headphones, earplugs, and an eye mask.

Menu side 1
Menu Side 2
Amenities

The captain came on the PA and announced a good 11 hours and 20 minutes to Los Angeles (yikes, we're riding the Jetstream today!), and then the famous "meme" safety video was screened, to the excitement of the young kids over to my right side of the aisle.

During the Taxi, the IFE surprisingly worked and off were in a quick taxi and into the air.

Once airborne the IFE crashed and during the meal service, the IFE's needed a reboot.

Shortly afterward the meal service began with a choice of Roasted Chicken Breast with Mash, Rigatoni Pasta in Tomato Sauce, or Babao Pork with Rice. I chose the latter and the meal was quite good of the catering in PVG.

The meal was served with bagged bread, sachima (famous Taiwanese Rice Craker), and fruit and salad.

Meal

After the meal, it was off to the quite extensive IFE.

Midway through we were served a snack of a ham sandwich, mayo, cookies, and banana crisps and a bottle of water.

Just after crossing the date line..

Flight info (notice the time being 0:00 since the IFE crashed earlier)

Before the final meal service, I napped for a bit.

During the meal service, we were given the choices of crêpes with Scrambled eggs or Dim Sum and friend noodles. I again opted for the latter, but was rather dissapointed by the edibility.

Meal 2

The meal itself was OK with the Shu Mai and Baozi, but the noodles were very clay-like and tasted like clay as well :biting:

Passing over the Bay Area.

And shortly we were down in LA around 18:27, and we were rather quickly parked at gate 57 at Terminal 5, back when Delta occupied it so recently.

Quickly through the immigration and TSA had a bit of fun poking around at one of our jewel disks we brought back.

Transit at LAX

Quickly I began catching up on our Western platforms and made it through the wifi though I was requested to do an app download, luckily I was able to bypass that.

DL4487
??? Sorry I didn't check the registration ???
Bombardier Canadair CRJ-900
LAX-BOI
Depart 21:00
Arrive 0:05 +1
Seat 9C

We soon arrived at gate 50B for our flight to Boise, and the CRJ was already waiting for us.

DL 763 to JFK

Our CRJ at Gate 50B (sorry for the blurryness)

Boarding Pass

Boarding commenced smoothly and through the cabin, I was towards my seat.

The pilot addressed us of a flying time of around 1 hour 30 minutes and addressed Boise Airport as an International one, although it was one pre-9/11, today it can have a CBP officer called in case there is a flight needing customs.

The flight was rather uneventful, and though it was around a majority full, the 2 exit rows were very empty and I could have sat there to enjoy the extra legroom, but I wasn't 15 years of age.

Onboard there was a quick drink service, but my mom forbade me from drinking anything other than water since it was so late.

We slowly cruised to our touch down at a midnight BOI, which was very quiet, at around 23:59.

Our dad picked us up, and we were into bed and back home.

I hope you guys enjoyed this TR, and please again excuse my horrible camera and lack of images.

I'll promise to improve on my next TR from what I took this year and see if my memory is a lot sharper.

And once again critcism and any kind of feedback is welcome.

but for now, stay tuned for more

-bgboiflyer

debonair

Re: The Trek back home Summer '15 NNG-PVG-LAX-BOI

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Not all pictures seems to open up...

boeing777200lr

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 pm

Nice Report, always fun to read about US airlines longhaul flights

bgboiflyer
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:18 am

debonair wrote:
Not all pictures seems to open up...

Because I am using google, it shouldn't work maybe in your country, sorry

bgboiflyer
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 am

boeing777200lr wrote:
Nice Report, always fun to read about US airlines longhaul flights

They're OK too, but miles behind other carriers around the world, thanks for reading.