Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Business Class IST-DLM on TK 77W, 56 min. flight time

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Hello there,
After being a DL Skymiles person for a long time, I decided to switch to TK for about 3 years ago and in one year were eligible to become TK Miles and Smiles Elite Plus. Some of my miles were about to expire so I used my miles to book JFK-IST-DLM-IST-JFK, Business Class online for 90,000 miles. I could choose my seats 3 months out for International, but for Domestic flight portions, I had to wait 24 hrs. before the flight and choose seats during online checkin, since TK swaps planes periodically according to demand.
I have flown TK on this route many times, flown the types many times. What was interesting, this IST-DLM flight showed A333 and that was exciting, since I usually fly single aisles to DLM, and never flown a widebody to DLM in my 27 previous flights.
JFK-IST flight was uneventful, on time.
There is a TK Elite, ElitePlus and J pax passport control at IST. The line is much shorter. After getting my passport stamped, I made my way towards the Duty Free shops. Got some chocolate and my usual Duty Free allowance of 1 Lt of spirits, 2 bottles of wine. The alcohol products are highly taxed inside Turkey, so I always take advantage of this.
Then I walked to the domestic terminal and went downstairs to the TK lounge. It is an OK sized lounge at the tarmac level, security is a breeze. They usually have a soup, a salad bar, few cold dishes, the awesome borek and sweets. An espresso machine, tea, soft drinks are available, all self service. No alcoholic beverages offered at TK’s domestic lounges.
After spending few hours, it was time to board. TK has small busses to transport its J pax to its airplanes from this lounge. It is awesome. Sometimes I am the only one in the bus.
There were about a dozen of us in the bus and I was shocked when we stopped by a 777 at a remote stand. Today, a 77W, TC-LJC is taking us to DLM. I know 5 out of the last 7 flight 2570s were 77W, but I was expecting a A333. No complaints here.
We were number 7 for take off and left IST a bit late at 20:30 from runway 35L, flew at 9500m/715kph.

Here is the strangest thing: There were 10 FA's on board and one of them said this is their only return leg for the day; IST-DLM-IST and they get to go home. I wonder why?

Turkish Airlines Flight 2570
Depart: Istanbul (IST)
Arrive: Dalaman (DLM)
STD: 19:55
STA: 21:20
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Reg: TC-LJC
Delivered to TK: September 29th, 2015
Seat Config: C49/Y300
Seat: 3K
Flight time: 56 minutes
Meal Service: Dinner

Here is the beautiful interior of our 77W with great late evening light. Only 230 pax on board, 15 J pax this evening.

The usual welcome drinks from TK, water, OJ, homemade lemonade. On JFK flights I instead opt for Mumms :)

Awesome J dinner for this 56 minute flight, very tasty and I also got some Turkish red wine to go with it.

Some bathroom supplies, and this is the first time I see a fake window picture inside the lavatory. Nice.

Some other international airlines on the tarmac

I thought I also should include some touristy pictures from my weeklong trip. Here are some pictures from the Marmaris, Bozburun peninsula area where my parents live year around.

Here is local dish I am seeing for the first time. They make a stew from zucchini plant flowers diced and mixed with rice over open fire. Who knew??

Here is what they bring you when you ask for breakfast: arugula, parsley, honey, jam, bread, butter, olives, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers and cheese with a pot of tea and it costs $6 per person.

How about this, at a hotel we stayed, we asked for 5 oclock tea by the pool. This is what arrived. All that for four people we paid $15 total. Wow !!!

YDA is building the new DLM Domestic Terminal. It is supposed to be finished next year and it is going very well. Looks like it will be double the size of the International terminal. I have been flying to DLM for many years. I remember the Domestic terminal consist of two small warehouses one for Departures, one for Arrivals. Then when the new International Terminal was built, the domestic side moved into the old International terminal. And now this. In a matter of 30+ years, I will be seeing 3 different terminals at DLM.

Here is some pictures from DLM terminal. It used to be only for International pax, but when they demolished the old Domestic terminal to make way for the new one, they all share this same terminal. Domestic travel gets 3 gates IIRC. And also some pictures from inside the TK lounge and its food offerings. It is a pretty small lounge. TK flies only 2-3 times a day in winters and up to a dozen times a day during the peak summer season.

This was my J meal on the way back, DLM-IST. Just yummy. With some Chivas to digest.

And a look at IST right after take off on my way back to NYC yesterday.

Hope you enjoy the TR and the pics.
TK sends A333/B77W to Domestic airports daily. Mostly to ADB, ESB, BJV, DLM, AYT.. I was just so happy it happened to me this time.
I will always remember this special short flight on one of my favorite planes.

Tkfan

Re: Business Class IST-DLM on TK 77W, 56 min. flight time

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Thank you for the nice Trip-Report!!!

You were really lucky to catch a B77W to Dalaman :cloudnine:

The pictures of Bozburun looks very inviting!! I am eagerly looking for bargains to Alacati but I have to wait till september ;)

Are you sure the new Terminal will be used for Domestic flights?? It looks so huge.
And very much the same architecture like the current one. Looks very decent and scandinavian. I like it!!

LAXintl

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks for the report. Amazing the service and food on such a short domestic hop! Only in Turkey.

I well remember summers in Dalaman. Had an uncle with a house in Marmaris.

hirofumi

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am

Amazing looking food for such short flights indeed! Any other airlines beat this?

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:37 pm

I just found an old photo of the DLM Domestic Terminal. It is this small white building on the right. Behind it, is the International terminal :)
I took this photo from the now demolished building which used to be the International Terminal. Then it was turned into the Domestic Terminal.
All this area (all the way to the tower) now being converted into the new Terminal, to be opened next year.

stylo777

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:02 am

Great report, thanks for sharing!
Just returned myself from DLM a few days ago, but not as lucky as you (regular 738). We stayed at the Kas area.
It was a morning flight and we hit the lounge for an hour or so. I loved their tea-bar - nothing I've seen in other TK lounges (apart from ISTLounge of course). Also, their soup and boreks were very tasty.
DLM definately needs a new airport! It is so ugly, dark and reminds me more of a coach or train station.

cam747

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 am

That food looks SOOO good.

11725Flyer

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Terrific trip report. The cabin pictures are great. And the welcoming juices and food looked very inviting. Thanks for sharing!

khunpaul3

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Nice report and pictures. Takeoff from IST in evening looks nice. The meals on IST-DLM looks delicious.

Nice place for relax, sightseeing and yummy foods. There is chef on-board?

One day I will fly TK to BKK via IST from USA. I have die-cast aircraft collection of TK B77W

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks for reading.
-No chef on board this short flight. On JFK-IST portion there are sometimes even two chefs for 49J pax. I have been challenging them lately. They try their best, but limited to what's been delivered by the catering co. But still they try to give me the rarest cuts, combine two meals on the same plane and such. Definetly, it is a learning process for them also with many different wants and needs of all different types of pax.
-I too have a collection of Herpa 1:500s going back 25 years or so :)
-If you have a long layover in IST, you can either get a complimentary hotel room and rest at the airport hotel of TK, or a short city tour. Bon Voyage!

lychemsa

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm

What a meal for an hour flight. Impressive. I would like to go to Fethiye. Are there less tourists now?

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:57 pm

lychemsa wrote:
What a meal for an hour flight. Impressive. I would like to go to Fethiye. Are there less tourists now?

Definitely less foreign tourists compared to 2015. And now that the Turkish schools are open fewer domestic tourists. Perfect time to visit Fethiye. Bon Voyage.