Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

DUB-LHR-DUB - British Airways Club Europe - Kosher Lunch / Kosher Afternoon Tea

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:49 pm

For the full selection of pictures for these two flights, please click here.

Ordering a special meal is something I never really consider. I'm usually very happy with the food served on board a flight and I have no diet or religious reason why I should choose something else. I read somewhere that the Kosher meal catered out of the UK is quite good. Since I have had enough of the Panini / Breaded Chicken Salad, I thought I'd try something different.

On Manage My Booking, I selected the special meal with ease. In addition to Kosher, there are quite a number of other meals however from what I understand there really is only one other meal that covers all the other definitions. Someone beside me once had the Asian Vegetarian Special Meal and it looked pretty nice!

BA835 – Dublin to London Heathrow (DUB-LHR)
11 August 2017
Airbus A321 G-EUXC
Seat: Club Europe 1A
Departure: 12:50 Arrival: 14:25

In Dublin, boarding is from the 200 gates which means you go downstairs and across the tarmac to the aircraft. It has been like this for a little while now and I am lucky it is summer. Less rain! People boarded from both the front and rear door which meant it was soon time to button up, get a hot towel, watch the safety demonstration and take-off.

Having no idea what to expect, it is interesting when the Cabin Crew hand you a completely sealed tray. Once you take off all the plastic, you remove a lid. Each dish inside is also sealed with plastic lids and the bread plate is sealed with plastic wrap. Let’s have a look at it.

The label indicates what is inside. ENTREE – Beetroot Marinated Smoked Salmon with Halibut Balls and Salad. A Roll. Chocolate Mousse for dessert. Non dairy spread and non dairy creamer. Coffee, Tea, Sugar, Salt and Pepper. I like beetroot and I like smoked salmon and the combination was perfect. Lovely halibut balls too! My favourite part was the chocolate mousse though. Bursting with chocolaty goodness and so filling! Really a very delicious meal!

Leg room in the first row is more substantial than the rest of the aircraft so I like sitting there when possible.

A small leaflet is included in the Kosher meal box from the food makers, Hermolis. This is addressed to the passenger and you can see this below. As I am not Jewish, some of the terminology is unfamiliar to me. I looked it up though!

Here is a run through as I understand it. “glatt kosher” means completely kosher. “kashered” – to make plates, mugs, dishes and so on kosher by cleaning them a certain way. “halacha” – Jewish law based on the Talmud. “Kashrus” – Jewish dietary laws. “herscher” – Rabbinical product certification, the company that makes elements of a meal in this case, I think.

BA830 – London Heathrow to Dublin (LHR-DUB)
13 August 2017
Airbus A319 G-EUPY
Seat: Club Europe 1A
Departure: 14:15 Arrival: 15:40

Afternoon tea in Club Europe is a choice of three finger sandwiches and a cake or a Ploughman's Lunch with soda bread and a cake. I really really really miss the scones which used to be offered along with the finger sandwiches. I could have no finger sandwiches and just scones and be very happy. Anyway, let's see what the Kosher afternoon tea is.

Once in the air the service is exactly the same. A wrapped tray is presented and you’re asked if you would like anything to drink. Champagne for me of course!

It is listed as COLD PLATE: Deli Meat. Dessert is Chocolate Brownie Slice which, as you can see, it is not. No problem of course, the substitute is very good. The sandwiches are totally fine as well with slightly thicker bread than the standard.

The Kosher Meal served on British Airways Club Europe at lunch time is excellent. The portions seem to be a little more generous then the usual meal without being too obvious. It is nice to have something different to eat, especially when it’s so delicious.

For Afternoon Tea I wouldn’t bother with the Kosher meal as it is virtually the same as the finger sandwiches already on offer. That being said, it is tasty and filling so there is nothing wrong with it at all. Remember, for the full selection of pictures for these two flights, please click here.

Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

FlyRow

Re: DUB-LHR-DUB - British Airways Club Europe - Kosher Lunch / Kosher Afternoon Tea

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 pm

hmm while the food looks nice, unwrapping it in Club-Europe wouldnt be to muchh to ask in my opinon! Thanks for the report though :D

Ted65

Re: DUB-LHR-DUB - British Airways Club Europe - Kosher Lunch / Kosher Afternoon Tea

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 am

The crew are not allowed to unwrap it. It must be presented fully sealed, to comply with kosher rules. The pax can give permission, but it must always be sought. Same in every class of travel.

jrfspa320

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks, I enjoy your short and sweet trip reports. I enjoyed the flight into Donegal also. The lush green of Ireland is beautiful!

lychemsa

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

I love beetroot salmon. However I ordered a kosher meal on American and it was awful. A shepheards pie which was unedible. On United I ordered an Asian meal once which was nice; curry.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:13 am

FlyRow wrote:
hmm while the food looks nice, unwrapping it in Club-Europe wouldnt be to muchh to ask in my opinon! Thanks for the report though :D

Glad you enjoyed the report :)

Ted65 wrote:
The crew are not allowed to unwrap it. It must be presented fully sealed, to comply with kosher rules. The pax can give permission, but it must always be sought. Same in every class of travel.

I didn't know about this until the meal was presented to me and then it clicked, "must be delivered wrapped as part of the Kosher rules". It was a good learning experience to be fair.

jrfspa320 wrote:
Thanks, I enjoy your short and sweet trip reports. I enjoyed the flight into Donegal also. The lush green of Ireland is beautiful!

Thanks a lot - nice to know you liked the Donegal report too. Appreciate the comment!

lychemsa wrote:
I love beetroot salmon. However I ordered a kosher meal on American and it was awful. A shepheards pie which was unedible. On United I ordered an Asian meal once which was nice; curry.

It was my first beetroot salmon and it probably won't be my last. Very tasty! Shame to hear about your American experience, I guess different caterers have different standards. Good the Asian meal was nice for you. Thanks for the comment!

lychemsa

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 pm

I think beetroot salmon is a British thing. Only had it in the UK. I also had a Kosher snack on BA over 15 years ago and it was also awful. In those days BA were still serving fantastic full snacks (not sandwiches). My parents had a kosher meal on Swiss and it was un-edible. I think the only airline that serves enjoyable kosher meals is El Al.