Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YTR
Topic Author

British Airways Club World : The good, the bad and the ugly...

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 am

Today I'm taking you to Bangkok, my final destination was PVG but I bought the ticket separately and won't be covered.

BA is affordable in Business Class to Bangkok. Being in Marseille, it's easy and I don't have to fly to another country to fly…

Here are the reasons why I picked BA:
• 1700€ ticket, while it's not cheap I can fly from Marseille.
• Much more miles than flying QR, the other side of the coin, I have less TP. However I managed to book it via KL and Singapore, 80 TP more and to fly MH and CX.
• When you fly as much as I did in 2017 with QR, you are getting used to a certain level of comfort and service.
• While some airlines are experiencing cost-cutting, it would give me an opportunity to see if I can fit with BA or it's time to remove my business from them (only in Business or First, I will keep flying the minimum 4 legs to renew my Emerald card but I won't pay more to fly BA which is often the case).

Godsavethepoint started a "catch me if you can" challenge, it was inspiring. Thanks by the way.
In my modest contribution, I offered some members to exchange my seats and giving them a First Class lounge access where is was available or my seat in business. (some took advantage).

For the full review, you can check the report:
http://www.youtripreport.com/report/fli ... sh-airways

The first leg, Patricia, A french teacher (the husband is an aviation geek) sent me a mail to check if we were flying on the same flight, which we were.

As a result, I won't be reporting the flight, Patricia took care of it, for those interested the report is in French and can be found on youtripreport.

From someone who doesn't fly a lot, I was struck by her report and how accurate it was in regards to BA. The catering is nowhere good at it used to be (more on that later…)

Upon arrival, she made her way to the immigration while I took the bus to T5….

I used the Fast Track which is hard to really find it fast. Crowded and despite that, you can still see some security lines closed. It does not matter to me since I have a veryyyyy loooooong connection. Still, it does not feel premium.

After 30 minutes I was finally done and made my way to the GF Lounge.

Again I won't be commenting a lot since I reviewed the lounge countless times. The buffet is more or less the same. As a veggies addict, I took a large amount of "green" Without any dressing nor salt&pepper, it was bland. I fixed that on my own.

Very good:

I wanted to order the Burger but I wanted to remain “light”..

BA really ? It's been here for such a long time and yet nothing is done to fix it.

After that I made my way to the "business center" to print few things and work on some reports.

Then came a guy…. And well it's the kind of guy taking things for granted and did not care about others. He picked up a phone and the conversation was so loud that I could hear everything even with my headset… I always try to remain discrete when getting calls and I put my phone in silent because I don't want to disturb passengers. After the conversation he played with his phone and got so many text (apple sound can be annoying) to the point I told the F-Guy to put his phone into silent so I won't have to stand all the noises.

Anyway, I decided to leave quickly after to do some duty free for my wife.

At 7pm the gate showed up and I was off to the B gates where I could enjoy the view.

My bird for the next 13h.

At 7;30 pm I was the First to board. Warmly welcomed by the Purser I was on the way to my seat. With no one is sight I could take some pics.

The flight is full in F and J.

The 6k is the best seat in the house to enjoy the wing.

The seat is narrow. BA managed to scram 8 seats per row in Business, no wonder why you have that impression. It's really time for BA to change the cabin. While BA used to be the industry leader more than 15 years ago, it's no longer the case.

After a smooth climb, menus were handed. Should I go for the beef ? Let's try.

But before I report on the meal. I need to report on the crew. I have seen 3 categories on my flight:
• The purser, Fantastic guy. The kind of man you expect to find.
• The willing to please FA but a bit awkward. It happens to all. Still she was fun.
• The Ice/cold FA, robotic, unpleasant, unhappy and never give you a smile. She did the bare minimum. It might be the first time I see that kind of attitude on a long haul BA flight. She needs to learn with QR/SQ/CX. She served me without a talk or smile.

Back of on menu tonight:

I ordered a sparkling water, it's served with cold nuts. It should not be hard to deliver the nuts a la QR…

Then came the "tray" with already the cheese and dessert. It was by far the worst meal I've eaten with BA for years. Bad luck ?

The salmon: no taste. The bread underneath was soggy. Salt and paper should be in the right container, even some airlines in coach do that…

I had few bites and left the meal. Only thing edible was the bead….

Then came my beef:

I know it's always well done with BA but even with that in mind, it was so hard to cut it…. The ratte potatoes served mashed was not good either. The other veggies were waaaaaaaaaaaaay overcooked.

Cheese and dessert terrible.

I watched F8. I made my bed and I was ready for a smooth flight and I could enjoy its length. 7h straight. Fast and Furious could have been the tittle of my meal...

The bed, not the best one if you’re like me sleeping in Z.

For breakfast I didn't enjoy the meal as well. Fine I'm heading to MH FC lounge…

I let you enjoy the view….

Bottom line :

Before I get hammered by BA lovers which I respect, the flight back from SIN was much more pleasant (food and crew) !
On the one hand, I did not have high expectations given that it’s BA, on the other hand, the direct service to KL helped me to sleep 8 hours straight. Something that can’t be done with QR. It’s the main advantage. The one and only….
For a 13 hours flight, you have the right to expect a real meal service and not meals served by a tray where you put everything.
It would be ok for a short flight like JFk-LHR or a flight leaving at 1am. But it was not the case.

If you eager to get a real service, go with Qatar Airways.
Coming up next QF review in Singapore + BA To LHR in Club.

AAMDanny

Re: British Airways Club World : The good, the bad and the ugly...

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:28 am

Great TR. Looks like the cuts BA have been making are noticeable with the new CW service, real shame.

readytotaxi

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Yep the report just confirms the nose dive that is BA today, and what the heck was that breakfast offering supposed to be??
I let my Silver membership slip sometime ago, just was not worth it, and I pay for my own travel.
Thanks for the TR.

YTR
Topic Author

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:53 pm

AAMDanny wrote:
Great TR. Looks like the cuts BA have been making are noticeable with the new CW service, real shame.

Thanks AAMDanny.
It's a real shame, with a full cabin despite the cuts, it does not give a reason for BA to change. Unfortunately.

ba319-131

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I always take the view that expectations should be low when travelling BA, especially long haul, I find doing so leaves me more pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Not linked, but I always have high expectations when flying CX, and they are generally met.

YTR
Topic Author

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Yep the report just confirms the nose dive that is BA today, and what the heck was that breakfast offering supposed to be??
I let my Silver membership slip sometime ago, just was not worth it, and I pay for my own travel.
Thanks for the TR.

Thanks readytotaxi for your comment.
It was supposed to be more or less eggs Benedict. It tasted so badly and the look was not appealing.

lychemsa

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:07 pm

The new CEO thinks BA is Vueling. The guy should be fired. He destroyed BA's reputation even in economy.

toptravel

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:54 pm

I flew with them earlier in the year in J/C, what a total disaster. FCO/LHR/JFK RT. Club world seats are very last century, food or lack of was an amazing mess. All round I'm never flying them again if I can help it. Guess I have been flying EK/EY/QR too much lately out to OZ and have been spoilt, but really BA I,m not paying for what you call service, uncomfortable seating, terrible gound service and down your nose cabin service, and Club Europe is a real JOKE.

YTR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm

ba319-131 wrote:
Nice read and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I always take the view that expectations should be low when travelling BA, especially long haul, I find doing so leaves me more pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Not linked, but I always have high expectations when flying CX, and they are generally met.

Thanks for your kind comment ba319-131. You're right.
The point is I had average expectations and they were not met.

Hopefully it will be much better soon with the catering coming soon with DC&CO.

YTR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 pm

lychemsa wrote:
The new CEO thinks BA is Vueling. The guy should be fired. He destroyed BA's reputation even in economy.

It's indeed not the best and his low cost vision is damaging the brand. Even if the bottom line is not really impacted some premium clients are jumping ship.

YTR
Topic Author

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 pm

toptravel wrote:
I flew with them earlier in the year in J/C, what a total disaster. FCO/LHR/JFK RT. Club world seats are very last century, food or lack of was an amazing mess. All round I'm never flying them again if I can help it. Guess I have been flying EK/EY/QR too much lately out to OZ and have been spoilt, but really BA I,m not paying for what you call service, uncomfortable seating, terrible gound service and down your nose cabin service, and Club Europe is a real JOKE.

Hahah, In fact when you are used to fly QR (I'm clocking up more than 30 flights in 2017 with QR) you tend to expect the same level with other airlines.

Agreed, the Club Europe has gone downhill. I was socked that you are given a sandwich in Club (not even good). While TK in Y does better...

LTU932

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 pm

From the sounds of this TR, I bet 5-10 years from now, BA will officially have become an LCC, just a bit more upscale than U2, DY and EW. That's sad, because my only two flights on BA (both between HAM and LHR) were great.

DAIAM2002

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:38 am

Thx nice report with a nice Personal Note...

YTR
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 pm

LTU932 wrote:
From the sounds of this TR, I bet 5-10 years from now, BA will officially have become an LCC, just a bit more upscale than U2, DY and EW. That's sad, because my only two flights on BA (both between HAM and LHR) were great.

I hope BA will not go that far...

YTR
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 pm

DAIAM2002 wrote:
Thx nice report with a nice Personal Note...

Thanks for your comment.

YTR
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Dear AI readers,

I’m sorry if it took so long to publish my inbound leg since I had my QR trip to Singapore for my GGL (out of 4 flights, 2 were just far from the world’s best Business class… trip to come).

Another reason is what happened in Houston. Since I have a property there…. Upon landing back to ARN, I left to DFW and drove to Texas City. My house was still standing but few holes on the roof…
Like Francis Underwood said in HOS, real estate is location..... location and location...

Anyway…

Back on the topic : BA Club World to LHR.

For the full review :

With my boarding pass already given in BKK, I made my way to the QF lounge.

What is surprising is the number of BA passengers in the QF lounge. I’m not sure about the other way around…
The bar is stunning, would you agree ?

The lounge is so huge with many seats that you can be sure to find one for you.

Since I did not eat on the CX leg (seat given to a reader), I was starving. Let’s look the restaurant:

The crème caramel was quite good:

Cold buffet:

A very good meat meal, melting is your mouth. Yummy:

After a good meal it was time for me to take a shower:

After the shower, I made my way to the BA lounge where I had a big argument with a French family (a couple with 4 teens flying to LHR then CDG in F and J). I was close to them. One of the girl was making jokes about the poor. Given my background I jumped on the conversation to express and more my disagreement (first time in my life I argue in the lounge). I despise that behavior especially when it’s expressed by someone born with a silver spoon in the mouth.

20 minutes before boarding I left to the gate:

Gorgeous, isn’t she ?

I was warmly welcomed by the purser! Welcome back Thomas.

My seat for the next 13 hours:

The good thing abt the 380 are the lockers on the right.

According to me the seat is not wide enough.

Great flight ahead?

The menu for tonight:

The prawns couscous salad was superb:

See I told you, not the kind of pic you often see abt BA..

The fish was fine:

Chocolate cake to top off my meal:

After that I made my bed for a long night. I requested 2 more pillows and another blanket. Why pillows are so thin…
I slept 9 hours. Damn It’s so good to rest.
Good morning the world!

I did not take my breakfast since I would get one in the CX FC lounge + lunch…

Bottom line :
After my flight, I was well rested, the crew was much better as well as the food.

It's of course not on par with the 5* Airlines.

Pick BA if you must but don't have high expectations.

Coming up soon the Club Europe service to Marseille with CX First Class Lounge. You can already check the report here:

Thanks for reading.

Thomas

KLDC10

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Nice report. I don't usually fly with British Airways, and as well-articulated as this report is, it does nothing to make me want to. The product just looks a little "sub-par". It's good that your return flight was better, but that sort of inconsistency is not something I'm happy with in an airline. At the end of the day, when I pay to fly, I like to know what to expect.

Paying to fly brings me nicely onto the French family in the lounge. I find it interesting that you intervened - I know I certainly wouldn't have, but I'm a pretty non-confrontational person ;) To be honest, I'd be terrified of an awkward encounter on the flight later on!