Robisintheair
Topic Author

Flying Business Class with a Toddler - The long way :-)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:14 pm

On April we made a Trip in Business Class this year from Sofia to Johannesburg. The reason was a very very chap Business Class Fare with Lufthansa Austrian Airlines.
I have lots of photos :)

=> Austrian Airlines Business Class: Sofia-Vienna-Frankfurt: http://www.robisintheair.de/review-austrian-airlines-business-class/

=> Lufthansa Business Class Boeing 747-8: Frankfurt - Johannesburg: http://www.robisintheair.de/review-lufthansa-boeing-747-8-business-class/

After great days in Sofia, our actual trip to South Africa starts today! The first part of our journey to Cape Town take us first with the Austrian Airlines in Business Class from Sofia via Vienna to Frankfurt. We have two relatively short flights and a lounge visit in Vienna. We go by Taxi for cheap $ 7  in an extremly short time to the airport. The luggage are droped off quickly and with our boarding passes in hand we going to the security check. On the flights towards Frankfurt, we can also use our child seat, which makes flying much easier.

Sofia Airport

We bridge the the time until departure in the Vitosha lounge. There are a few canapes, crackers and plenty of alcohol (just not for us ;-)). I grab my daughter to explore the airport with her. Since not much is happening, it is for us more like a large playground. We are on time at the gate to take the bus to our Airbus A319, which takes us in about 1.5 hours to Vienna. Even during the short bus trip across the apron, the little Baby girl fell asleep. When we are on board, I quickly arrange the child seat on Seat 1F and put the sleeping child inside. Maybe four more people are sitting in business class with us.

Austrian Airlines Business Class to Vienna

Immediately after take-off, the lunch is served - it smells excellent. There is a red curry with rice and a piece of cake. You can not select between different meals, but it is super delicious. Especially the cake. The service is very warm and attentive. Our flight attendant is quite pleased with the sleeping Baby Girl in their seat. We spent the rest of time with reading and sleeping. With the approach into Vienna Schwechat Airport and a hearty touchdown, the first of four flights is completed.

Austrian Airlines Senator Lounge

Now it is early in the afternoon and up to our flight to Frankfurt we have to spend about three hours of time. We sit down at the window of the Lounge and turn round at the buffet. The selection of drinks, snacks and food is really good. You can choose between two different hot dishes, a variety of salad and dessert. After a small pre-lunch, I take my daughter and we'll explore the Airport of Vienna. Straight behind the Duty Free there is a playground for the Kids - she had a lot of fun. 

Austrian Airlines Business Class to Frankfurt

The flight time is again very manageable with 1.5h. The Welcome is friendly and we get a small Gift for our Girl. After the obligatory service and the security demonstration, we head west towards to Frankfurt am Main. When we reached the flight altitude, there was again something delicious to eat, this time something asian and for dessert a lemon cake. Just as fast as we started, the approach begins. We land on the north-west runway and dock at Gate A38 at the "A" of the world. Now we are changing to the non-Schengen area and are walking straight into the Lufthansa Senator Lounge and waiting to go to Johannesburg. The first two flights have worked perfectly.

Lufthansa Senator Lounge Frankfurt

Arrived at "the" Lufthansa Senator Lounge par excellence, we are looking for a free table. That works easily  at this early time in the evening. For the little girl there are a few wienerwurst and rolls. Mommy and daddy just have something to drink. We find ourselves at the end of the lounge a quiet place and drive the last hours until the departure. Our girl gets her outfit missed for the upcoming night flight and I put her in the Manduca and walk with her over the airport, in the hope that the little eyes go closed - but it doesn't.

Boarding to Johannesburg

We go to the gate a bit earlier, because the way is very long and on the other hand we have to get rid of our children's seat, which works without problems. With a little delay the boarding Lufthansa starts the boarding. Together with the many other families, we enter the plane and walk up the stairs to our Boeing 747-8. We take place in the second-last row on the left side and are greeted equally friendly and asked if we need help. For our girl there is again a small gift and for the parents the welcome drink. Because of the many storage possibilities I love the seats in the upper deck. Meanwhile, the other passengers have taken their seats and we get the Loop Belt for the child. Today is on the flight Full House. The pushback is done and we taxi towards the southern runway. But before we reach it, the little girl is already asleep.

The Flight

We are climbing with course to the south. Shortly before the light in the cabin is switched on again, we put the little girl carefully the eyeshades on, so she can sleep in peace. For our area is a freshly baked flight attendant responsible, who still bears the trainee button. But she does a good job and always strives for our well-being :-). After our aperitif (champagne Pieper Heidseck for my wife and a Bombay Gin Tonic for me) we eat always displaced, so I can first feed my wife and then myself can eat. The roastbeef disappointed as a starter, the mozzarella was ok. The main course with the shrimp and gnocchi as well as the rigatoni with Mediterranean vegetables fits. But there is no more space for dessert. I'm still watching my movie and then lie down as my two girls sleep.

Over the Congo, the sun rises and it does not take long before the coffee fragrance wake up the cabin. Breakfast will be served in a few Minutes. Lufthansa has thought of everything - because the little girl can practically sit on the ottoman and enjoy the breakfast buffet. There are scrambled eggs and sausage, cheese, jam and rolls of choice. After the meal we watch a short children's film. At the same time, the descent into Johannesburg airport begins. After a smooth touchdown, we arrive in South Africa. After immigration we headed to the Domestic Terminal with our luggage and checked in to our next flight the Capetown - But this is an other story!

Thank you for flying with me - Rob