Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

717atOGG
Topic Author

Flying Hawaiian Airlines from OGG-SEA

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 am

Hi, welcome to my first trip report. I'm only 13, so try to cut me some slack if it's below quality. My family and I have taken 4 trips to Hawaii, two in the summers of 2014 and 2015 to Maui, one last Christmas to Kauai, and one to OGG for 8 days, July 26-August 3. I've also documented the other trips, but not with a TR in mind. I might make some reports for them, but only if I feel like it. Anyways, our flight. It was scheduled to depart at 2:50, with an arrival at 11:25. However, 7 hours before our flight, a delay of 30 minutes was announced due to smog in the Seattle area delaying the inbound flights' departure, changing our time of departure to 3:20. With that in mind, we arrived at the airport at about 12:15, and check-in was a breeze, but security was suspicious of my camera and mini toiletry bag, so they looked through that, taking about 20 minutes. My grandparents were taking a different AS flight to SEA that left at 1:00, so I ran over to their gate to say goodbye to them 2 minutes before they boarded. I then met back with my parents and had lunch. There's two main terminals, and then an atrium where they had some sit down restaurants, but the only popular ones seemed to be Burger King and California Pizza Kitchen. I got a chicken sandwich meal for $11, which was very overpriced even for Hawaii, and ate it, and it was very good. Unhealthy food is always delicious when you're traveling. The atrium seemed to have some construction going on, but all of the shops were open, but they all sold expensive touristy goods. There was even a 3-pack of Maui pineapples for $26! We then proceeded to our gate and waited. We had an hour till our plane boarded at 2:30. I decided to go plane spotting.
ImageDSC02632 by coolian03, on Flickr
My grandparents' Alaska Airlines 738 going to SEA. Interestingly enough, this is N563AS, the first plane to be painted into the new livery!
ImageDSC02633 by coolian03, on Flickr
AA A321 heading to LAX
ImageDSC02639 by coolian03, on Flickr
Transair, a cargo airline in Hawaii. This particular bird started its life in 1987 with China Airlines and was converted to a freighter in 2014.
ImageDSC02641 by coolian03, on Flickr
WP Q400 going to HNL. Sorry, it was the best shot I could get.
ImageDSC02640 by coolian03, on Flickr
VX A320, "legally high", going to LAX. The gate agent for this flight was unusually cheerful, which is a good thing these days.
ImageDSC02645 by coolian03, on Flickr
HA 717 going to some other Hawaiian island. Again, best picture I could get. I flew this bird on my previous vacation from HNL-LIH on 12/22/16 and LIH-OGG on 1/1/17.
ImageDSC02648 by coolian03, on Flickr
UA 738 heading to SFO. Ho hum. They had the 753 on this route just 2 short years ago.
ImageDSC02652 by coolian03, on Flickr
AA 772 traveling to DFW that evening. I saw it land at OGG, but was at the car return so I couldn't get a picture of it.
ImageDSC02654 by coolian03, on Flickr
Another AA bird, a 763, going to DFW even later that evening. I apologize for the dirty window, those were sadly commonplace.
ImageDSC02653 by coolian03, on Flickr
A wonderfully retro Hawaiian Air cargo sign.
Around 2 pm, our chariot arrived from SEA, N370HA. I had flown on her before from SEA to OGG on 7/30/15 and OGG to SEA on 1/1/17.
ImageDSC02646 by coolian03, on Flickr
We boarded from gate 23 in group 4, passing those wonderful lie-flat seats. I took my seat in 25J. Here's what the cabin looked like.
ImageDSC02660 by coolian03, on Flickr
There was a small child sitting in front of me, maybe around 7 years old, but he wasn't an annoyance. He watched the IFE for the whole flight, and didn't even recline his seat. My 6'2" frame thanks him!
ImageDSC02661 by coolian03, on Flickr
Legroom was tight, about 1 1/2 inches between my knee and the seat. The cabin looked just ok. Not ancient by any means, but not brand new.
Boarding was completed about 10 minutes after I got on, which was very quick. The flight attendants played the safety video, and a short video talking about all of HA's positives, like free meals and the only airline dedicated for people visiting and living in Hawaii. There was no wait to take off, and the takeoff was quick, getting off the ground in about 5,000 feet. We were over Maui for about 30 seconds, and then over the Pacific. About 10 minutes after takeoff, I bought the TV and movies package for $8. (Boo, for not giving us good, free IFE!) The selection was ok, but I wish it was free, since the TV shows are 7 months old and the movies are at least 2 years old. There was a malfunction with it, though, as videos wouldn't load, and passengers were complaining. So, about 30 minutes into the flight, they restarted the system, which took 10 minutes, and it worked perfectly thus far.
ImageDSC02667 by coolian03, on Flickr
The moving map, which was free, and scrolled through the map, and different statistics like miles traveled and time to arrival.
You may have noticed that there were mood lights which became more dramatic the darker it became. They weren't as good as those on the BSI, but they were nice. The flight progressed smoothly, with a BOB service, and beverage service. (I bought a large bag of Pau Hana snack mix to take home, since it's really good, and got Passion Orange Guava juice.) The flight attendants were really sweet, and the pilots kept us informed saying that they were flying faster to make up for the half hour delay, and they made our flight only 15 minutes late upon arrival in SEA. According to Flightaware, our altitude was 41,000 feet and our speed was 521 mph. After the two services, I watched some episodes of the Big Bang Theory and listened to music on my phone. Around 3 hours into the flight, dinner was served. Stir fry chicken, carrots, broccoli, and rice, and salad with Italian dressing and a chocolate cookie. And yes, that's a Shutterfly coupon that they have. Subtly placed advertisement, amirite?
ImageDSC02672 by coolian03, on Flickr
The chicken was bland and the veggies were soggy. The rice, salad, and cookie were decent though. I still ate all the food, the complaints notwithstanding. I think that my complaints notwithstanding, the meal was ok for airplane food, and that I'll miss it when/if HA eliminates it. The flight went on, and about 30 minutes after dinner, the sun set, very quickly and not very dramatically. This was about as good as it got.
ImageDSC02673 by coolian03, on Flickr
The next hour of the flight was uneventful, with two water services. I went back to visit the lav, and it was uninteresting and your basic airplane bathroom. Something worth mentioning is that the A330 galley is HUGE. Like 3 times the size of one on a 737. Anyways, here's a picture of the cabin when it's dark.
ImageDSC02676 by coolian03, on Flickr
About a quarter of the passengers bought the entertainment package, and most of the rest of them just put on the moving map, from what I saw. Descent began in total darkness about 20 minutes from arrival off the coast of Washington and Oregon. Our descent brought us over southwest Washington and Tacoma, and according to Flightaware, we arrived at 11:22 pm, 16 minutes behind schedule, with a rough landing on Runway 34R, and heavy braking. We taxied for about 8 minutes, and I saw an OO CRJ-700 subbing in due to crew shortages, which was cool. The airport was unusually busy considering the time. We parked at gate S12, next to another HA A332 from HNL that beat us by 2 hours, and a BR 77W from TPE, as well as a NK A319 going to BWI, at what I can only assume was a CUTE gate. We took the train to our baggage claim, and our bags were off the carousel by 11:40. We left the airport at midnight, and got home at 2 am.
Overall, here's my rating of the flight. Thank you for reading my trip report, and I hope you enjoyed it!
On-time: 8/10
Boarding: 9/10
Crew: 10/10
Seat: 7/10
IFE: 5/10
Food: 7/10
81% rating overall

jeffrey1970

Re: Flying Hawaiian Airlines from OGG-SEA

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:02 pm

I think you did a great job with your trip report. It is possible that the chicken was bland because air pressure can have an effect on our taste buds. I live on the east coast, so I can't wait until HA spreads their wings to other cities out east other then New York.

KanaHawaii

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 am

Interesting to see an AA 777 and 767 for the daily DFW runs. My guessing right now with the way summer service is with some airlines that there are more passengers than cargo being carried.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am

Very nice first report!

717atOGG
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Thank you all for the nice compliments! That may explain the lack of flavor in the meal. And one of the DFW-OGG flights is numbered 7 and 8, so I think it's a very important route for AA, hence the 772 upgrade.

dfwjim1

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey nice report...I have traveled to Maui several times from the 70s on so I enjoyed your airport photos! Good work!

lychemsa

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 am

I think you are too kind with your rating. Legroom is terrible. They fly to New York; 10 hours in that seat must be torture. You are only 13 and it looks tight even with you. I would rate it a 2. The food looks awful. I would also rate it a 2. Airplane food can be great if an airline is willing to spend for it. US airlines don't want to. I love Hawaii and would like to go back. How is the weather in winter? I went in the summer 30 years ago, and it was nice though a hurricane went close by and fortunately missed us. Only went to Honolulu, Maui and Kaui. Want to go to Lanai, Molokai and the big island.

717atOGG
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:39 pm

lychemsa wrote:
I think you are too kind with your rating. Legroom is terrible. They fly to New York; 10 hours in that seat must be torture. You are only 13 and it looks tight even with you. I would rate it a 2. The food looks awful. I would also rate it a 2. Airplane food can be great if an airline is willing to spend for it. US airlines don't want to. I love Hawaii and would like to go back. How is the weather in winter? I went in the summer 30 years ago, and it was nice though a hurricane went close by and fortunately missed us. Only went to Honolulu, Maui and Kaui. Want to go to Lanai, Molokai and the big island.

SeatGuru says 31 inch pitch, so I just gave it a lower rating because I'm 6'2''. I was nicer about that since it's average legroom and at least the food is free. Winter weather is pretty nice when I was on Kauai. Mid-to-high 70's, and partly cloudy.

F27500

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am

jeffrey1970 wrote:
I think you did a great job with your trip report. It is possible that the chicken was bland because air pressure can have an effect on our taste buds. I live on the east coast, so I can't wait until HA spreads their wings to other cities out east other then New York.

The chicken was bland because it was a cheap, frozen, mass-produced crap Coach meal that was microwaved and then served 5 hours later.

lebda

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 am

Love that Hawaiian Air Cargo sign!

DDR

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Very nice trip report!

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:07 am

Nice report, hope to see some more. Let's hope you stop growing, otherwise you'll have to fly Business Class all the time... though that may not necessarily be a bad thing!

I seriously doubt your taste buds were affected by the cabin altitude. Food on board flights is usually made to take this into account, so your verdict of bland chicken probably means the chicken was bland. A shame the IFE selections is so old too - if I was paying I'd expect them to be a lot more up to date. Still, $8 isn't a bad price - I'd pay it. It would be better free though.

Thanks again for the report!

DaveFly

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Very nice report! I've flown JFK-HNL on four roundtrips in the last four years, always connecting in HNL for the other islands. HA is the only domestic U.S. airline that I look forward to flying. I'm 6'2" also, and I find the seats comfortable enough. I would certainly consider upgrading to Economy+ though.

11725Flyer

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Excellent first trip report! Nice picture of the other airlines. Thanks!

stratosphere

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 pm

717atOGG wrote:
lychemsa wrote:

SeatGuru says 31 inch pitch, so I just gave it a lower rating because I'm 6'2''. I was nicer about that since it's average legroom and at least the food is free. Winter weather is pretty nice when I was on Kauai. Mid-to-high 70's, and partly cloudy.

You're 6'2" at 13? Damn dude

richierich

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Great job on the trip report. No slack needed to be given, you had good, relevant photos and descriptions. Those TRs that make you feel like you are "coming along for the ride" are always my favorite!

F9Animal

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 am

Hey kiddo! Kudos for being 13 years old, and having a love of airplanes! I appreciate the report, as I have been curious about flying HA to OGG. I flew Alaska to OGG, and must say it's not very comfortable on a 737, in coach. Also, no free meals.

I do like how HA offers a free meal. As for airplane food, it looks decent. If I do fly HA economy, I would have no choice but to get the IFE. I have a 7 year old and a 16 year old. When we all flew to OGG, they ran out of digi players! How I wish I had planned more entertainment, especially for the 7 year old!!

You did a great job! How did the lie flats in First look? Does HA have a business class?