Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ketko2
Topic Author

The New Frontier: Onboard the First AirAsia X Flight to the United States (Osaka-Honolulu)

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 am

Hi All,

A bit more than a month ago, I took the first AirAsia X flight from Osaka Kansai to Honolulu. While I was initially booked into economy, I had the chance to upgrade for 20,000 yen (a bit under $ 200) at check-in, and so I took the opportunity to do so.

You can read the full report on the following page:

Full report: https://www.knaviation.net/review-airas ... l-business

A selection of eight pictures to tell you the overall story follows:

1. Checking-In at Kansai Airport Zone E

While the flight was continuing from Kuala Lumpur, the vast majority of passengers started their Hawaiian journey in Osaka. At check-in, nothing besides a couple of journalists interviewing some of the passengers indicated that this was an inaugural flight.

2. Tape-Cut Ceremony

On the other hand, the gate area was busy when I got there, as preparations for the inaugural event were in progress. First, a tape-cut ceremony with AirAsia X and Kansai Airport representatives was done.

3. Pre-Flight Photo Shoot

Then, a photo shoot of the representatives, AirAsia X cabin crew, and a trio of Japanese models followed.

4. Press Conference Before Boarding

Finally, before the boarding started, a quick press conference with AirAsia X CEO, Benyamin Ismail, and Kansai Airport CCO-Aero, Gregory Jamet, took place.

5. Celebratory Boarding

During boarding, the AirAsia X CEO, as well as Chairman, were handing out black gift bags to passengers. The gift bags contained a key holder, a luggage tag, and some printed materials promoting AirAsia X and Hawaii.

6. The Flight

For large part, the flight itself was uneventful given that it took place in the middle of a night. However, AirAsia X still managed to provide a memorable service before and after I slept.

7. Landing in Honolulu

Prior to landing in Honolulu, we overflew Kalaeloa airport where an ATI DC-8 is stored. We arrived at gate 24 of Honolulu airport at 12:30PM - exactly on time.

8. Hawaiian Style Welcome

While there was no water cannon salute as we taxied to the gate, at the end of the jetbridge, Honolulu airport staff put lei around each passenger’s neck. And, there was also a hula dance performance waiting for us!

If you enjoyed the photos above, please read the report and see more photos below:

Full report: https://www.knaviation.net/review-airas ... l-business

I hope you enjoyed the report. Thanks for reading!

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Best regards,
Keishi
http://www.knaviation.net

theobcman

Re: The New Frontier: Onboard the First AirAsia X Flight to the United States (Osaka-Honolulu)

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Nice report and pictures ! The premium cabin looks good. Thanks for the enjoyable read !

debonair

Re: The New Frontier: Onboard the First AirAsia X Flight to the United States (Osaka-Honolulu)

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm

I have problems to load the pictures - pls. can you fix it?!

AAlaxfan

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Why do we have to go off site to read the report? Post it here!

AAlaxfan

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Duplicate

11725Flyer

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Great pictures! Thanks for the report.

dcajet

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:28 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:

Because it is 2017 and some folks prefer to post on their own platforms/social media for a multitude of reasons. You don't have to leave a.net if you don't like to do so. But given that he took the time to write a report, crop, upload, post images, etc., he gets to choose from where he likes to share them with the world.

It's only one click away and free. Cm'on.

Excellent report, btw. Do you know how the flight is doing thus far?

AAlaxfan

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am

dcajet wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:

Because it is 2017 and some folks prefer to post on their own platforms/social media for a multitude of reasons. You don't have to leave a.net if you don't like to do so. But given that he took the time to write a report, crop, upload, post images, etc., he gets to choose from where he likes to share them with the world.

There are many people on this site who report, crop, upload, and post images on this site without having us leave. That is what this site is for. Not to promote the poster's personal page.

So no. I will not click away.

ketko2
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:13 am

theobcman wrote:
Nice report and pictures ! The premium cabin looks good. Thanks for the enjoyable read !

11725Flyer wrote:
Great pictures! Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the nice words - glad you enjoyed the report!

As for the premium cabin, it is definitely a great product for its price. AirAsia X also allows bidding for an "ESO" on some of its fares. Which - if the bid goes through - will guarantee you a row of seats. Given that that is usually below 50 dollars, I think, it is also a great option for some added comfort.

dcajet wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:

Thanks for your comment!

As for the performance, the CEO mentioned during the press conference before the flight that they have average loads of about 86% through October - which seemed to be above his expectations. Given that 90+% of the passengers seem to originate/terminate their trip to Hawaii in Osaka rather than Kuala Lumpur, it will be interesting to see what happens once Scoot enters on the same route later this year!

ketko2
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:22 am

AAlaxfan wrote:
There are many people on this site who report, crop, upload, and post images on this site without having us leave. That is what this site is for. Not to promote the poster's personal page.

So no. I will not click away.

Just to let you know my thinking: formatting the report for A.net (or any other platform for that matter) takes quite a bit of time. At the same time, I understand that posting just the link would be out of place. With that in mind, I am posting the reports in this format - where I believe they are enjoyable and add value to the A.net forums even in their abridged picture report format here while giving the readers the OPTION to read the whole report by visiting my blog.

And, so far, judging from the positive comments here on the A.net forums, it seems like the visitors are enjoying them - both on and off site.

As such, personally, I don't see any issues with it, but of course, the final decision in these cases is always up to the moderators.

juliuswong

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 am

Thank you for the review Keishi! It was done meticulously, short and succinct! Keep up the great work! Safe travel always.

Carfield

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for another wonderful trip report and I enjoyed all the inter-island reports as well in your website. I am going to fly Island Air soon and your report gives me a good preview on what to expect.

Since I was on the same flight as you, it was interesting to read another fellow passengers' perspective. It is also good to know who are those seemingly random models. As a non-Japanese, it is a big confusion.

Thanks again and look forward to more reports in the future.

Carfield

ketko2
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 am

juliuswong wrote:
Thank you for the review Keishi! It was done meticulously, short and succinct! Keep up the great work! Safe travel always.

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Carfield wrote:
Thanks for another wonderful trip report and I enjoyed all the inter-island reports as well in your website. I am going to fly Island Air soon and your report gives me a good preview on what to expect.

Since I was on the same flight as you, it was interesting to read another fellow passengers' perspective. It is also good to know who are those seemingly random models. As a non-Japanese, it is a big confusion.

Thanks again and look forward to more reports in the future.

Carfield

Thanks! Island Air is a nice little airline to fly with - and I definitely also suggest trying Mokulele or Makani Kai if you have the chance. There is something nice about flying in a Grand Caravan instead of a (relatively) big airliner between the islands!

As for the models, it was my first time to learn about them at the event as well.

Finally, had I known there was a fellow A.netter on the flight, would have said Hi!

hirofumi

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Beautiful photos! The model crew in the premium seat - did you ask her to sit down or she voluntarily pose for you? I think that could be a real good PR shot for the airline :-)

gia777

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 am

Air Asia should be banned for flying due to poor customer service and safety. but nice report.

ketko2
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 am

hirofumi wrote:
Beautiful photos! The model crew in the premium seat - did you ask her to sit down or she voluntarily pose for you? I think that could be a real good PR shot for the airline :-)

Thank you! Actually, she was walking past as I was taking a photo of the economy class cabin, and offered to pose there. Which I happily accepted. And then, as I returned to business, I asked her if she could pose for a photo in business as well, and she happily did. :-)

gia777 wrote:
Air Asia should be banned for flying due to poor customer service and safety. but nice report.

Personally, I didn't encounter any troubles on any of the AirAsia flights I've taken - but that's a small sample size, so experiences may vary. :-) And, I am glad you enjoyed the report!

hirofumi

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm

gia777 wrote:

I've flown them a couple of times but never had any poor customer service experience. In fact most of the staff and crew I find are quite cheerful and pleasant. Their on-board prices are very reasonable yet decent quality too. Poor safety? Apart from QZ 8501 crash, there has been no accident involving fatalities.