kabq737
Topic Author

JFK-DUB Delta Flight 44 Trip Report

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:31 am

The hustle and bustle of New York City traffic amazed me as my father drove us to John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK Airport). I had never seen a place so busy as filled with life as New York City. As we emerged from yet another traffic jam JFK Airport came into site. I was in awe at the number of of foreign airliners parked at gates up and down the terminals. After a quick rental car return it was time to enter the airport. My family caught the sky train to terminal four where Delta Airlines flight 44 would be boarding later that evening. The lines to check baggage were long but moved fairly quickly. JFK Airport reminded me that one of my favorite parts of flying is the diversity. I love that almost every country in the world flies. This diversity was on perfect display at JFK Airport where amazing people and aircraft from every stretch of the globe could be seen coming together.

After a fairly quick and easy bag drop we made our way to the TSA security check point where we found incredibly long lines of people waiting for security screening. Thankfully my family had TSA pre-check for this trip and we were able to bypass most of the long lines. After a typical TSA screening (who doesn't love a good pat down?) we began to make our way to the B gates. Getting a four person family through a large international airport is difficult however, getting a four person family accompanied by grandparents and an aunt through a large international airport is even more difficult. It took us a long time but eventually we made it to our boarding area. After a quick pizza dinner it was time to board our aircraft.

As we approached the gate our home away from home came into sight. It was a beautiful Delta Airlines Boeing 767-400ER. I was exited and thankful to be flying on such a rare and magnificent aircraft. Upon entering the aircraft I noticed its upward sliding doors and 2-3-2 cabin configuration. The aircraft felt young inside however, the seatback IFE unit revealed its true age. We took our seats, got organized, had some chocolate, and waited for the other passengers to arrive. After the aircraft was completely loaded and the door was closed pushback was initiated. The engines spooled up and the flaps were extended. We began our taxi to the runway and quickly realized that we would be waiting for a long time due to the number of flights leaving New York City at the same time. The waiting game had begun.

After about a half hour of waiting it was finally time to get off of the ground. Upon taxiing onto the runway the engines began to spool up and the aircraft began to roll. As we picked up speed the overhead bins shook and the wind outside became more audible. After a relatively long takeoff roll the aircraft rotated and we took to the skies. Our next stop would be Dublin Ireland!

About a half hour into the flight the flight attendants came around the cabin offering hot towels and drinks such as water, soda, wine, and beer. I took a ginger ale and awaited the dinner cart which followed closely behind the drinks cart. The choices on our flight were as follows:

Stuffed Chicken

Vegetable Pasta

Shrimp Salad

I wasn't feeling adventurous so I decided I would just have the stuffed chicken. The chicken was served with sides such as a bread roll, cheese, salad, chocolate cobbler, and a few other small items that I do not remember. Overall the meal was decent. I personally do not believe that it was as good as the food I had on my United flight last year. After dinner was cleaned up it was time for sleep and the lights were shut off. I was not feeling tired yet and watched some Big Bang Theory thanks to Delta’s great in flight entertainment selection. Although, the hardware was old and small it was using Delta’s newest entertainment software and was therefore fine for my needs. Eventually I fell asleep.
International flights have a reputation for having incredibly cold cabins. The flight I was on was no exception. I woke up cold even while under my blanket. I had only managed about 3 hours of sleep before I woke up to flight attendants beginning breakfast service. This was perfectly acceptable as the flight between New York City and Dublin is only about five hours. The breakfast offering on this flight was far superior to any I have had on United. We were served bread, fruit, cheese, and great yogurt. This may sound simple however, it is far superior to the hockey-puck like pancakes offered on United. Breakfast was cleaned up and it was time for landing.

As our aircraft descended the choppy blue waters of the northern Atlantic Ocean soon gave way to the flowing green hillsides of Ireland. We continued to descend smoothly and gracefully as we approached the airport. The flaps were out. The gear was down. It was time for landing. The trees got bigger and bigger until eventually we touched down, smooth as glass. (Approach photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152336724 ... ed-public/ ) We came to a rather abrupt stop and exited the runway on the second to last available taxi way. Our crew brought the aircraft to a stop at the gate after a short taxi and began the unloading process. Disembarking proved to be easy and relatively fast for an aircraft of the 767s size. A quick and easy customs process let us collect our bags which arrived safely and on time. We were now free to enjoy Ireland!

Thanks for reading my trip report! Overall I had a very good experience using Delta for my international travel and would not hesitate to fly them overseas again. The cabin service was especially good and helpful while the aircraft was clean and comfortable regardless of being a little dated. The only part of the experience that really needs to be improved is the food. Overall United has better meals in economy class. I hope you enjoyed the report! Please let me know if you have issues accessing the photos! I hope that they are easier to get to than the photos from my last report!

Side note: Unfortunately the circumstances were less than optimal for me to take a video of the landing in Dublin. I will post a link to the landing in New York on the same aircraft on the return trip so that everyone can at least get the idea. Sorry about that! Here is the link: https://youtu.be/Vw_0kru3DlQ
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM

jeffrey1970

Re: JFK-DUB Delta Flight 44 Trip Report

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:36 am

I enjoyed your trip report. Also, I am glad you had a good flight.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

AAlaxfan

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:39 am

Any pictures you can post here?
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

kabq737
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:22 am

AAlaxfan wrote:
Any pictures you can post here?

I didn't mention it in my report but this flight was my grandmothers first time out of the country and my grandfathers first time out of the country since the 1960s or 1970s. They rarely fly. Even domestically. I spent most of my time ensuring that they were comfortable and where they needed to be rather than taking photos. Sorry about that...

I think there will be more photos in my next trip report.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM

lychemsa

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 pm

LOL no breakfast on Aer Lingus. Just an orange juice. At least 5 years ago.